Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
It looks like I\'ll be buying a.....
Old 04-17-2004, 08:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35679
Comments: 0
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Soujrnr Send a message via Yahoo to Soujrnr

Soujrnr is offline IP: 68.171.206.81

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Nikon D100. As much as I'd like the Canon 10D, I can't afford the expense of switching all of my lenses over to Canon. The Fuji S2 would be nice too but it's still hovering at $2000 and Fuji is not known for ever dropping their prices when new models come out. I'm keeping my F100 because it's a beautiful piece of craftsmanship and so well-built and I still love shooting snail-slow slide film for my nature and scenic photos. All things being equal, the D100 isn't too bad of a camera. I just wish it had a connection for my studio lights. Instead I'll have to buy a radio transmitter and shoot that way instead. I won't mind though because with a transmitter, I don't have to worry about dragging a synch cord all over the damn place when I use my lights. I like that idea! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] If all goes well, I should have it by the end of next month. If all doesn't go well, then it's business as usual with my F100.

Good day!

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Why Oh Why Don\'t We Talk TO Me FIRST!?!?! HMmmmmm?
Old 04-17-2004, 08:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35318

JasonNJ is offline IP: 68.196.108.87

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Ok, Jason can be nice [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Fuji S2 $1,799.99

D100, btw, good luck finding them cause NIkon doesn't like them anymore and loves the D70.

We must talk to the counterboy before we make such decisions [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

AndyP and I have been talking about this for weeks now regarding S2's, and sadly now I am all out of stock, could have hooked you up! Ugh.

WHY Mike, WHy? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

The Glorified Unique Photo Counterboy
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JasonNJ Visit JasonNJ's homepage! Find More Posts by JasonNJ

On the bright side ...
Old 04-17-2004, 09:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35341
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to hicspix

hicspix is offline IP: 152.163.253.33

At least I checked with you twice in the past two weeks. LOL

And I was rewarded with super-fast service, a great price and speedy delivery. So much so, in fact, that an order placed late Wednesday evening arrived the next day -- with standard shipping no less. Now that IS fast!

Thanks again, Jason (and Unique)!

Dave

View Public Profile Send a private message to hicspix Visit hicspix's homepage! Find More Posts by hicspix

Re: It looks like I\'ll be buying a.....
Old 04-17-2004, 10:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 24.0.99.79

If is has a hot shoe, then you can connect your studio lights. If there is a voltage problem, then be sure to use the Wein safe sync which reduces the voltage that gets to the camera to 6v which is what is needed.
Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Re: It looks like I\'ll be buying a.....
Old 04-18-2004, 03:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37850
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via MSN to JonScott Send a message via Yahoo to JonScott

JonScott is offline IP: 66.129.202.98

Heh...What Jason said.

I've heard that the D70 solved a lot of the D100's problems/shortcomings (whatever they may be) and is coming in just under a grand. Might be something to consider...

Cheers!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott

Re: Why Oh Why Don\'t We Talk TO Me FIRST!?!?! HMmmmmm?
Old 04-18-2004, 05:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Hi Jason,

Please forgive me for not talking to you first. I had a temporary lapse of all that could be considered common sense. I KNEW you were 'da man' but I guess my brain is still thawing out from winter. There is a (don't hit me) Ritz camera store near my house that just happens to have a whole slew of D100s in stock and I played with one for about an hour last Friday night. That being said, I think the S2 is a better choice for sure but the price tag is too high. Even at the basement price of $1799, it's too much for me. If you can still offer that price in a few months, I may be able to sell one of my broken cars for enough to make up the difference from the D100 price. OR, here's a great idea, sell me the S2 for the same price as the D100!!!!! Heck, I'll even come to NJ and wash your car, do your dishes, wash your windows, clean your house (yes, even the bathroom), and then fan you with a giant fern leaf and keep your iced tea glass full while you listen to some music. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Now, tell me more about this D70. You've piqued my interest and now this inquiring mind wants to know some specifics. I don't know squat about this camera (yes, I'm behind in reading reviews too). I'm open to good advice at any time, my friend!!

Hey, I thought you were promoted to counterman instead of counterboy?! You certainly deserve the promotion. Hell, as far as I'm concerned, they can call me anything they want at work as long as the pay stays good (of course, "good" is a very relative term). [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I look forward to hearing from you! Take care.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Old 04-18-2004, 08:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35318

JasonNJ is offline IP: 68.196.108.87

Hey Mike,

And yes, I am now a counter....GOD [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

And Ritz, PFFT! I will not comment on Ritz camera at the moment, but my namesake Jayson Harrington from your neck of the woods I am sure could [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

For me to bend the price of the S2 which we sell for the bargain basement price of $1,799.99 to the D100's last known price of $1,499.99 I would essentially have to make up the difference myself. Would it be worth having you as my cleaning lady for that price, possibly. But we live in a world of reason, and my roomate is filthy, you would have to clean up after his every single move for me to justify that kind of funding... and when your doing that, there is going to be no time whatsoever to shoot....so lets just forget about getting you that french maid outfit JUST yet.

Now, to illustrate some differences between the D70 and the D100. Roughly 30. Moving on there are other tidbits fixed that were on the D100 that nobody liked that they tried to rectify on the D70, some worked some failed. All in all the D100 has its place still as does the D70. Give me an email tomorrow jasone@uniquephoto.com tomorrow and I leave a # for me to call you at and we will chat it up on the Nikon Digital SLR scene and why you should sell one kidney for the S2.

Would simply say call me, but im busy sending all this stuff to San Diego for the upcoming Photo Image and Design show. I should be there hopefully in one piece with minor jet lag for anybody in the area who wants to meet up.

Until then, Mike.... we shall chat

The Unique Photo Counter....boy.....man......traveling vagabond of camera shows.

View Public Profile Send a private message to JasonNJ Visit JasonNJ's homepage! Find More Posts by JasonNJ

Old 04-19-2004, 04:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Ok. I'll put away the French maid outfit. Damn, and I just got it to stop binding up on me too. I ordered it special from Fredrick's but I'll save it for another day. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Check your email, my friend, and you'll have my home phone. I won't be available until around 6 PM, Monday evening but I'd love to talk with you! We didn't get much chance to shoot the sh... er, I mean shoot the breeze in New York. Go figure. It's not like we were distracted by gorgeous and scantily clad models or anything. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Have fun packing and I look forward to chatting with you!!

Good day!

Mike

It only hurts once
Old 04-22-2004, 02:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35783
Comments: 7
My Mood:

stevenD is offline IP: 66.121.188.233

but then the pleasure will last a lifetime, switch to Canon... sell your stuff on FredMiranda.com, heck there was a guy in Canada selling his 10D with Grip and two batteries for $1200 the other day..

signed...ex-Nikon user...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to stevenD Visit stevenD's homepage! Find More Posts by stevenD

Old 04-28-2004, 01:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
Old, Bald, Village Idiot

Member GG#: 36160
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to AGellert

AGellert is offline IP: 63.229.83.4

[ QUOTE ]
Ok. I'll put away the French maid outfit. Damn, and I just got it to stop binding up on me too. I ordered it special from Fredrick's but I'll save it for another day. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] .......(snipped)
Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok Mike I wasnt going to post anything in that other thread about your comment, but my friend.. get your money back on the maid's outfit.. I dont even want to think about that image.. lol

oh and if you think you are going to wear that outfit atthe next KellyG fan club meeting.. you better get your head shrunk first... lol

andrew
  View Public Profile Send a private message to AGellert Visit AGellert's homepage! Find More Posts by AGellert