Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Another CF question for the PC techies
Old 04-14-2004, 11:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977
Comments: 0

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 24.130.241.138

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I have a really odd problem. I have a Dell P4 Win2000 machine and everything works fine with one exception: I can not get any CF card readers to show up. I've tried three different brands (including one that a friend loaned me that works on his MAC). They're all P&P, USB 1.1 (I have 1.1 and 2.0 ports on my machine) and as most people know, are not supposed to require drivers for Win2K. They "show up" sort of. One, when plugged in, prompts "Found New Hardware" and wants to find a driver (there aren't any - I checked the manufacturer site), the another makes its green light blink when I plug in the CF card, and puts an icon in the system tray. Neither will show up as a "drive letter" as they're supposed to. Anyone have any ideas? (In all the years I've had my Canon G1, I've only been able to download by direct connection from camera to computer using Canon's software. I need to be able to drag files like the rest of the world). BTW, all other USB devices work fine, the first time. Scanners, printers, and my Canon direct connection.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Re: Another CF question for the PC techies
Old 04-14-2004, 11:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36266

IIsassi is offline IP: 24.167.36.124

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

First thing I would try is to plug the CF reader in place of a device that is working. After that I would run Windows Update to make sure you have all the latest bug fixes. I know of a studio that is using 3 different Dell's with Win2K and not having any problems..

Israel
  View Public Profile Send a private message to IIsassi Find More Posts by IIsassi

Old 04-15-2004, 12:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Great Collaborator

Member GG#: 38299
My Mood:
Send a message via ICQ to geowulf Send a message via AIM to geowulf Send a message via MSN to geowulf Send a message via Yahoo to geowulf

geowulf is offline IP: 68.2.167.214

Which models have you tried.

I have Dell P4 Win2k and have had no problem with the ZIO!

Some will ask for a driver but will still show the "removable drive" device in your "my computer" device list.

Many times you can still drag and drop regardless of whether or not the driver is loaded.

My best advice is to do a search in Google Groups. (in rec.photo.digital) or ( microsoft.win2000.hardware ) for the device you have and the keywords that describe the issue you may be experiencing.

With a little trial and error you will probably find that there are a few people with the same issue. (and often they supply the answer)

Greg
  View Public Profile Send a private message to geowulf Find More Posts by geowulf

Not true
Old 04-15-2004, 01:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
GG_Staff

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 67.85.65.104

Andy, "plug-n-play" does not literally mean that. USB devices still do need drivers. Plug-n-play in windows means that if the driver is already installed, windows is SUPPOSED to find it. That is why usually when installing a new USB device, the manuals say, "Install the drivers first then plug-in the device". Notice its not the other way around. The lights on the usb devices are probably just power lights since USB carries about 5V (I think). Since you are seeing a light, that means its indeed connected to the computer but it doesn't mean its working. I'd go looking for drivers somewhere.

Now firewire is another story. Firewire devices are true plug-n-play. No drivers are usually needed for firewire devices to get them to work.

Good Luck.

Re: BINGO - thanks
Old 04-15-2004, 02:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

You win the prize. The first time I went to the manufacurer's website, I did not see the correct download. After spending 2 hours downloading and installing SP4 and a few other MS goodies (multiple re-boots) I went back to the reader's website and found a new link, to the right software, installed it, and now it works fine. Except that the first three times I clicked Windows Explorer to find the files, it "generated errors" and closed explorer.exe. Switching launch icons worked (?) but now, after running the card reader, all the WinExp icons work. (BTW, I still have not got the CF reader with the green light to work, and now I don't care).

One more issue solved. On to installing PS/CS. Oh how I love tech. Thanks to all for suggestions.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Old 04-15-2004, 09:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35195

rjwarren is offline IP: 12.145.192.117

Andy

I was having lunch with another Houston photographer on Monday. We were talking about the fact the with the current technologies, photographers also have to be computer jocks! Remember when "tech" in photography meant that you mixed your own chemicals and developed your own B&W?

Bob

View Public Profile Send a private message to rjwarren Visit rjwarren's homepage! Find More Posts by rjwarren

Old 04-15-2004, 10:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38589

Scott_Young is offline IP: 66.121.57.29

[ QUOTE ]
...the first three times I clicked Windows Explorer to find the files, it "generated errors" and closed explorer.exe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Andy, you might have some hard disk fragmentation going on also in your computer. Windows NT, 2K, and XP, all use hard disk space very poorly fragmenting fast. When the hard disk gets badly fragmented you will see general slowness, file corruption, lots of system error's, and if it gets bad enough freezing and even blue screening.

You can check the fragmentation on your drive by...

1. Right click on your C drive and choose properties.
2. Left click on the Tools tab.
3. Left click on Defragment Now.
4. Choose your C drive in the upper window by left clicking on it once to highlight it.
5. Left click on Analize.

The aplication will give you a report of your drives condition. Always ignore it's recomendation because it's seldom right. Use your eyes. If you see more then just a little bit of red in the chart or you see a picket fence effect like a lot of little lines instead of solid blocks of color then it's time to run a defrag.

In the same window click defrag. It will defragment your drive and give you a finish report when it's done. Make sure you shut down all the other applications you're running before running the defrag so it does a better job. Also it's a good idea to check this every 3 to 4 weeks to keep your computer optimised.

When the fragmentation is kept low your computer will run faster with far less errors.

Hope this helps.

Scott

View Public Profile Send a private message to Scott_Young Visit Scott_Young's homepage! Find More Posts by Scott_Young

Old 04-16-2004, 12:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Thanks but I don't think that was the problem. By coincidence, I had just degragged all my drives (all four partitions on two disks) over the weekend. I just didn't realize that "no drivers needed" didn't mean "no software installation "needed". Once I got the software installed, it was fine.

Thanks,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio

Old 04-16-2004, 12:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

I never mixed them from scratch (but my chemist father did when he worked for Techicolor in the 50s) but I did plenty of darkroom work. The smell of hypo still makes me nauseous. In fact, I was so techie, I used to process my Ektachrome in the bathroom using an E4 kit (9 chemicals, 13 steps, one hour processing, plus 1st develper compensation as the chemistry got used). Loads of fun.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio

???
Old 04-16-2004, 05:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 24.0.99.79

[ QUOTE ]
Windows NT, 2K, and XP, all use hard disk space very poorly fragmenting fast. When the hard disk gets badly fragmented you will see general slowness, file corruption, lots of system error's, and if it gets bad enough freezing and even blue screening.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its true that considerable fragmentation can cause a slowdown of the drive in returning data to the user. Fregmentation does not cause system errors, file corruption, freezing or blue screening. Something else, such as bad disk sectors, cross linking, etc, might cause those things, but not fragmentation.

Here is a typical example of fragmentation:

Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith