Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamourô > Garage Glamourô Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Calibrating monitor to third party printer
Old 04-13-2004, 11:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35402
Comments: 0

Gunfitr is offline IP: 205.188.116.211

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey:

I've read all the ads for the various spyders and macbeth readers, etc, which claim that you can calibrate your monitor, save the profile, and then your printer will match what you see on your monitor.

But, what if I want to calibrate my monitor to what I get back from my local processor?

I now that there are several "Fugi" ICM profiles available on the web. If I calibrate my monitor and then save the file and give my new monitor profile the "fugi" name, and then send the files to my photofinisher with the attached profile, will my monitor match my prints?

Is there a simpler way of doing this.

I am fairly happy with what my screen shows and what my photofinisher produces, but I thought a final tweak may be helpful.

Mark
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Gunfitr Find More Posts by Gunfitr

Re: Calibrating monitor to third party printer
Old 04-13-2004, 11:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36196
Send a message via Yahoo to BarbInKC

BarbInKC is offline IP: 207.192.197.162

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

They way I have handled calibration issues with my lab is to calibrate my monitor (I use EyeOne), prepare a few files (10 or so), send them off to the lab and have 4x5's prepared. When I get them back, I hold them up to my monitor and compare them to the files I sent in. So far, I've never had to make any adjustments to my monitor other than regular calibration. Maybe I'm just lucky?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BarbInKC Find More Posts by BarbInKC

Old 04-13-2004, 12:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38151
Send a message via Yahoo to Nathaniel_Goldstock

Nathaniel_Goldstock is offline IP: 200.65.0.58

Hi,

I hate technical issues...I deal with a lot of them here with many different aspects of printing. Simply put: A screen profile allows you to see the file exactly as it is. A printer profile will print it as is (there are even individual profiles for different papers on particular printers), just like a scanner profile will scan it as it should be. So if your monitor is calibrated right, save the file as is and send it to the printer - they should have the proper profile for the printer and paper they are printing on. You can additionally send them a proof from your printer if it matches your screen 100%.
A Spyder will only calibrate your monitor - not your printer, papers, &/or other devices...
Hope that helps,
Nathaniel
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Nathaniel_Goldstock Visit Nathaniel_Goldstock's homepage! Find More Posts by Nathaniel_Goldstock

Old 04-17-2004, 01:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36900

HendrikG is offline IP: 213.84.76.212

Itís not wise to change your monitor after the calibration. Just use a hardware calibration device and choose the correct black-point/white-point and set 6500K/gamma 2.2. After the process youíre done and donít touch your screen anymore.

You can use printer-profiles to make a guess how the print will look like with soft-proofing.

Most errors are made with the miscommunication between the photographer and printer-operator. If you use different profiles and not aware of it, you will get color-shifts. My recommendations are to talk with the operator. Ask him/her what profiles they expect. Most printing-services expect sRGB files. Itís the smallest and most common color-space, but itís an unnecessary limitation (most printers can print outside the sRGB gamma). The better printing-services use printer-profiles (unique to their printer; remember every output device has unique characteristics. Using profiles from the web is ridiculous) and convert your aRGB file to their printer-profile or even betterÖthey give you their printer-profile, so that you can convert to the printer-profile (and use it for soft-proofing).

Find another processor if they donít know what youíre talking about.

All the best,

Hendrik
  View Public Profile Send a private message to HendrikG Visit HendrikG's homepage! Find More Posts by HendrikG

Re: this may lead to double profiling
Old 04-17-2004, 10:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37344

slowpokebill is offline IP: 67.2.129.10

What you want to do is convert the image from your working space color to the Fuji print profile not the monitor profile. The monitor profile adjust your monitor color so it will show what ever working space your in accurately, whether Adobe RGB, sRGB or whatever.

These links may help you get a handle on this. I explain things so poorly.
For color management in photoshop this a very good read. Go to the features section and find your version of photoshop.Computer Darkroom home.

Here are where you may find the printer profile for your local lab. Dry Creek Photo Look at the data base to find your Lab and then read the how to use Frontier/Noritsu profiles section. Hope that is helpful. I use the profile for my local Sam's Club printer to do some of my printing( $1.85 for 8x12" ain't bad). Make sure you tell them to not color adjust your photo. The prints are pretty good and almost look as good as what I get from my Epson 2200.

Bill
  View Public Profile Send a private message to slowpokebill Visit slowpokebill's homepage! Find More Posts by slowpokebill