Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Copyright Registration Question
Old 03-19-2004, 06:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35265
Comments: 0

Lynn_in_VA is offline IP: 68.49.139.200

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Well, I'm finally moved to register some copyrights, since I may have some shots headed for maxim. And I've read on many GG postings that the US Copyright Office will take a CD-ROM for registration of images. But reading their brochure under Deposit Requirements / Visual Arts, I see a statement that

"The material should consist of photographic prints, transparencies, photocopies, drawings, or similar two-dimensional reproductions or renderings of the work, in a form visually perceivable WITHOUT THE AID OF A MACHINE OR DEVICE. "

So, do they really accept CD-ROMs? Can someone verify that they've sent in the Form VA, the $30 check, and a CD, and received registration for all the images?

They do specify a CD as acceptable for cartography, and my work often does show curves, elevations, peaks, valleys -- but not the sort they have in mind...

Thanks in advance,

Lynn

Michael Lynn Devore
Reston, VA

here's Oksana...

View Public Profile Send a private message to Lynn_in_VA Visit Lynn_in_VA's homepage! Find More Posts by Lynn_in_VA

Re: Copyright Registration Question
Old 03-19-2004, 09:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
Comments: 1
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 24.50.237.129

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

The answer is yes to all the above $30 for a group of images on a cd. Now about Maxim. If they are model submitted images (Home town Hotties) or the like, Maxim will not give the photographer credit in any way, shape, or form. In fact the photographer has to basicly sign away all rights before they will even use the image. I've had several models selected for the contest and come to me for a release which can be viewed here: Maxim photographers release
It's up to each individual if they wish to sign something like this or not. I did because I wanted to help the models out, but I sure didn't like it.
Mark Harper

Model Karen Murphy from Atlanta Rolando workshop
Karen is taking a break from modeling for some silly thing like getting married! But she will be back. Congrats Karen!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper

Re: Copyright Registration Question
Old 03-19-2004, 09:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36016
Comments: 2
My Mood:

mhickey is offline IP: 66.68.34.150

Yep they've accepted my CDs and yes I've signed the Maxim form.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mhickey Visit mhickey's homepage! Find More Posts by mhickey

ONE thing to add DO NOT SEND US MAIL
Old 03-19-2004, 01:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Member GG#: 35280
Send a message via AIM to JaysonFromMaine Send a message via Yahoo to JaysonFromMaine

JaysonFromMaine is offline IP: 24.147.242.29

send fed ex...the scanners for testing USMAIL for chemicals ect.. will melt your CD's...

It also has to go to an off site center first to be tested...so it takes longer...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JaysonFromMaine Visit JaysonFromMaine's homepage! Find More Posts by JaysonFromMaine

Re: ONE thing to add DO NOT SEND US MAIL
Old 03-19-2004, 04:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35195

rjwarren is offline IP: 24.160.112.230

Jayson

I mail CD's all the time -- and so do most business in the U.S. I think that's an "urban myth." The new x-ray systems can, I hear, not treat film well. Always check with the USPS web site....

Bob
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rjwarren Visit rjwarren's homepage! Find More Posts by rjwarren

Old 03-19-2004, 05:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Send a message via AIM to JaysonFromMaine Send a message via Yahoo to JaysonFromMaine

JaysonFromMaine is offline IP: 67.74.192.210

i am pritty sure i read it on the us copyright office web site...... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] but it was months ago..........
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JaysonFromMaine Visit JaysonFromMaine's homepage! Find More Posts by JaysonFromMaine

The Copyright Office and Mail Delivery
Old 03-19-2004, 09:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
King of Useless Facts

Member GG#: 35691
Send a message via AIM to StMarc

StMarc is offline IP: 169.207.244.175

The Copyright Office does indeed have a warning about mail screening:

http://www.copyright.gov/mail.html

However, it doesn't say anything about mailing them CD's of any kind. It just states that due to offsite screening, all mail is being delayed, and courier packages larger than a certain size will not be accepted at the Copyright Office.

It is US Government policy to prefer using the USPS for all correspondence. In fact, the Patent and Trademark Office will accept deposit with the US Mail as constructive deposit with the USPTO, which is *not* true of any other sort of courier. I *always* send my patent and trademark applications via Express Mail. Copyright applications are usually not time-critical, so I usually just send them regular first-class mail.

M
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StMarc Visit StMarc's homepage! Find More Posts by StMarc

Old 03-19-2004, 10:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35330
Send a message via ICQ to John_Chennavasin Send a message via Yahoo to John_Chennavasin

John_Chennavasin is offline IP: 216.249.94.77

I can confirm this. The Copyright Office has recommended that the registration be sent to them via FedEx or UPS for the last two years. I've received several "reply sheets" last year asking that I send them a new CD, since the scanning machine does destroy CD-R media.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to John_Chennavasin Visit John_Chennavasin's homepage! Find More Posts by John_Chennavasin

Fascinating!
Old 03-20-2004, 10:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
King of Useless Facts

Member GG#: 35691
Send a message via AIM to StMarc

StMarc is offline IP: 169.207.244.175

Do you have an actual Copyright Office form to that effect? If so, would you mind sharing the OMB tracking number? I would be highly Amused to read a letter from one branch of the government recommending that you not use the services of another branch of the government. Collecting examples of that sort of thing is one of my hobbies.

I can't seem to find anything on the CO website other than the advisory on delayed mail and refused courier packages which I posted before. And it says that *all* packages get scanned, so sending via UPS or FedEx will not help on that score, although it probably increases the odds that your package will get there in the first place.

M
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StMarc Visit StMarc's homepage! Find More Posts by StMarc

Re: Fascinating!
Old 03-20-2004, 11:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

JaysonFromMaine is offline IP: 24.147.242.29

I am thinking what i read may have been a PPA article..and it was the sanitization machines more so then the xrays..something about the level of heat..But i do know i saw something connected to the official copyright site too.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]