Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamourô > Garage Glamourô Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
and even more on calibration LOL
Old 03-01-2004, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37977
Comments: 0

Sean_Armenta is offline IP: 68.66.128.70

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

hoookay...

so i've calibrated my monitor with Pantone's OptiCAL. seems like i did it properly [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

i called the lab that does my printing, and they say that i should prepare the images in sRGB colorspace -- not Adobe RGB (apparently their printers are sRGB printers).

so: do i shoot and edit in sRGB and forget about Adobe RGB altogether? or do i shoot and edit in Adobe RGB, then convert to sRGB before sending the images out to print?

sean
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Sean_Armenta Find More Posts by Sean_Armenta

Re: and even more on calibration LOL
Old 03-01-2004, 10:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35330
Send a message via ICQ to John_Chennavasin Send a message via Yahoo to John_Chennavasin

John_Chennavasin is offline IP: 66.32.19.68

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

You can still edit in Adobe RGB. Before sending the image out to print at your lab, use the Image>Mode>Convert to Profile... command to convert the colorspace to sRGB.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to John_Chennavasin Visit John_Chennavasin's homepage! Find More Posts by John_Chennavasin

Old 03-02-2004, 01:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
JamesTu

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 24.55.46.76

People tell me to work in Adobe RGB, and convert to your printers color space afterwards. Then some other people have told me to work in the ICC profile that the Colovision device gives me, and then convert it to the printers ICC.

It seems that it would be more logical to work in the printers ICC so you don't waste your time editing, and when you finally convert it, the image changes. I want to work with the closest representation of the final product.

Old 03-02-2004, 05:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
Comments: 1
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 63.64.13.29

James,
The colorvision spyder only makes a Monitor profile. Your system, whether it be a mac or a pc will use the profile supplied by the spyder. Then in Photoshop you can use whatever color space you choose and know that you are seeing acurate colors on your monitor. I'm no expert, but I don't think it would be practical to work in printer profile in Photoshop. The Gammut of colors is all wrong for viewing on a monitor. Here is a link with some very good information on color management.
Color Management

Model Karen
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper

Old 03-02-2004, 02:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35859

DWilson is offline IP: 198.161.43.220

Okay. This comes up a lot and in all honesty I'm not going to claim to be any sort of authority on the subject. I just know what I've read from the multitude of posts and articles that are out there.

If your photos are destined for a graphics shop who will be adding further graphic elements of any sort, you will want to shoot and deliver in Adobe format. This ensures that the graphics people have as much data to work with as possible to create the optimum final file.

From what I understand ALL PRINTERS print in a less than sRGB palette so delivering more than that is simply excessive. However, ALL PRINTERS have an sRGB input filter in place which takes images that are input to their system on the assumption that they will be sRGB and then does a predetermined conversion into that printer's own colorspace.

Even the graphics guys you send your Adobe spaced files to will be sending out sRGB files when the time comes. You send them Adobe files so that you don't get the issue of "you converted the image to sRGB then these guys added more stuff and reconverted thereby degrading your image twice."

So;

- sending to Graphics guys - Adobe
- sending to a printer - sRGB

Simple.

There is a good article somewhere on this but I dont' recall the address at the moment...I'll track it down and make a new post.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DWilson Visit DWilson's homepage! Find More Posts by DWilson

something i bumped into...
Old 03-02-2004, 03:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

here's what i found on the net:

[ QUOTE ]
The Frontier is not an ICC-aware device. It ignores all profiles, assumes it is receiving sRGB data, and transforms colors to the print engine's color space using proprietary algorithms. In general, the simplest general-purpose approach is to work in the sRGB color space and leave things at that. The profiles are useful in soft-proofing the appearance of a Frontier print. If you convert your file from a typical woking space to the Frontier profile, the resulting prints will usually exhibit more saturated colors. The effect, and its desirability, depend considerably on the image characteristics. (Profiles last updated 11 March 2003)

[/ QUOTE ]
here's the link to the page: Color Services

and then they go on to offer downloads for paper profiles...is that the same as a printer profile???

i miss just dropping film off at the lab. this is all too high tech for me LOL

sean
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Sean_Armenta Find More Posts by Sean_Armenta

Re: something i bumped into...
Old 03-16-2004, 11:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36900

HendrikG is offline IP: 213.84.76.212

I donít know of any printer that prints in sRGB. The lab is wrong if they tell you otherwise. Every printer has a different behavior, even between the same type. Most printers are capable of printing at a (much) larger color gamut. Converting or using sRGB is a useless limitation.

Convert to the printerís profile after all editing is done.

More information: http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Frontie...r_profiles.htm
  View Public Profile Send a private message to HendrikG Visit HendrikG's homepage! Find More Posts by HendrikG

Old 03-16-2004, 01:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

actually, many printers print in sRGB -- Fuji Frontier and Pictrography, Noritsu, etc...

unless you're printing off a lightjet, which would better use Adobe RGB.

sean

Old 03-16-2004, 02:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35859

DWilson is offline IP: 198.161.33.146

Actually you are right, there are probably no printers that print in sRGB. They all print in their own colorspace. However, from all the information I've gathered from the different articles and websites I've read over the last two years, as well as communication with other members of the field, the printers DON'T have a larger color gamut as sRGB so going to Adobe 1998 is pointless because you're not getting all the sRGB data onto the printed page as it is.

If things have changed and I've missed it I'd sure like to know.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DWilson Visit DWilson's homepage! Find More Posts by DWilson

Old 03-16-2004, 04:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36900

HendrikG is offline IP: 213.84.76.212

Dave, take a look here: http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/a..._questions.htm

[ QUOTE ]
What does this imply for photographers? Well, you can either convert your files to sRGB, potentially sacrificing the most vibrant colors the printer can produce, and hope for the best. If your camera or scanner provides a wider color space for output than sRGB, use it combined with a custom profile to utilize the full color capabilities of the Frontier.

[/ QUOTE ]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to HendrikG Visit HendrikG's homepage! Find More Posts by HendrikG