Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Flash @ the beach
Old 03-01-2004, 05:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37617
Comments: 0

joey61 is offline IP: 66.59.228.146

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Greetings! Has anyone experienced intermittent flash whilst shooting at the beach? I checked th sync cords, connections, battery power source, etc. but would work sometimes and other times, it wont. Only thing I can attribute this to is the salt content in the air and causing the mis-firing. Any experiences in limiting or eliminating this occurence would be greatly appreciated!(Short of NOT SHOOTING AT THE BEACH) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to joey61 Visit joey61's homepage! Find More Posts by joey61

Re: Flash @ the beach
Old 03-01-2004, 10:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 24.130.241.138

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'm not sure of your setup, but here's a few things to check. If you're using a sync cord, try other cords. They're always the first thing to go, especially the terminals. I use a hot-shoe fitted Wein transmitter, so I haven't used a PC cord in years. (You might also look into a radio transmitter which might be easier at the beach). If you're using an off-the-camera flash, make sure the batteries are fresh or charged. You will get longer recycle times as the battery wears down, and you may not be waiting long enough for the recycle, or it may be firing at a much lower power if you don't wait for the full recycle. If you are using a flash in some sort of auto mode, the exposure sensors might be being fooled by the extreme ambient light at the beach. I've shoot at the beach extensively for years and never had a problem with salt water affecting the electronics. If you are shooting digital, you might also look into the trigger voltage issue raised by the other GG post on the Wein Safe-Sync. I've had some voltage problems over the years, but not related to shooting at the beach.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Old 03-02-2004, 03:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35662

RWJensen is offline IP: 68.5.109.33

Actually, it's more likely that your problem would be because of high humidity.

My two cent's.

Bob Jensen

View Public Profile Send a private message to RWJensen Find More Posts by RWJensen

Old 03-02-2004, 03:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35662

RWJensen is offline IP: 68.5.109.33

I meant that as more the cause of the problem than the salt content of the air. Andy's advice is very sound also.

Bob Jensen
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RWJensen Find More Posts by RWJensen

Old 03-02-2004, 08:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35250

Steven_R is offline IP: 24.102.237.170

You did't say what type of flash or what setting you were using so this may be way off base. Were you using the flash on auto by any chance? Before I figured out that I had much more control on manual I used to try to use fill flash on straight auto. Sometimes if the sun was to be at the right angle to the sensor the flash would only fire when it felt like it sensing there was already enough light. Simple to test, cover the sensor and see if the flash fires every time.

Steve
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Steven_R Find More Posts by Steven_R

Old 03-03-2004, 08:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Well, just a couple of bonehead things I did. I.E. flash on auto, PC cord instead of wireless, etc. Thought I could get away with flash on camera - Metz 60 CT-1 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Lots to learn and experiment!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to joey61 Visit joey61's homepage! Find More Posts by joey61

Old 03-04-2004, 12:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Not a total loss, but still, lots to learn [image]http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/joeyvilia/detail?.dir=/bc7b&.dnm=8272.jpg[/image]

Old 03-08-2004, 02:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37178

ChristopherKern is offline IP: 216.249.96.239

Andy, I know you shoot a lot of beach stuff. I was curious what strobes/powerback you use while your location (if any)?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ChristopherKern Visit ChristopherKern's homepage! Find More Posts by ChristopherKern

Old 03-09-2004, 03:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 24.130.241.138

I don't generally use fill flash at the beach, I prefer reflectors. Part of that is because for a long time I felt the over-fill look (which usually results in washed out models and/or dark backgrounds) looked weird. I've been re-thinking that, and planned to experiment with it more this year, partly because I'd like to see more detail in the background and to help the models keep from squinting from the reflector (something that we deal with, but sometimes results in outtakes I wish I didn't have). Another reason for not using it is the exposure problem - the need to keep the exposure right on the money, which is something you have to learn to do when you shoot transparencies (slight dig at neg & digital guys). Since the flash exposure is based on the flash-to-model distance, the trickey part is keeping that distance constant when the model is moving around in the surf. Some guys use a string to easily re-check the distance, but again, when you're all bouncing around the surf, it is tough. I think shooting with digital might add some flexibility if only in the ability to more closely monitor the exposure and ratio of natural light to flash. Here's a couple examples of a simple reflector on the beach and in the surf:

Two benefits of reflector: 1) You can accurately see what the fill light is doing, and 2) To keep her from squinting, you can't always have it aim directly into the model. Moving it off to the side enhances the curves of her body. Works for me.

That said, I have used flash at the beach, of course. I love to use it at sunset with a warming gel over the flash like here:

I have used flash in full-on sun. Believe it or not, this shot was a test. A model friend dropped by the studio one day when the weather was great, and I had wanted to try the flash fill (with a 10Y gel over the flash, because unfiltered flash is too blue), and Velvia film (which was fairly new) so I three a bikini at her and we went to the beach. A couple years later I was able to sell this to Budweiser. Not bad for a test.

All the flash shots were done with (ready?.......) a plain old Nikon SB-26 in the hot shoe, in manual mode, powered by a Quantum turbo. No umbrellas, diffusers, etc. BTW, one nice thing about fixed focal length lenses.... If you're doing this, and the flash is mounted on the camera, you can help to keep the flash-to-model constant by keeping the model's size in the viewfinder the same. Meaning that if you move closer or farther away, you will know because she changes size in the viewfinder. With a zoom lens, you can move all over the place and not realize you've changed the distance. Also, don't count on this working with auto-exposure. I don't trust them, but with a digital LCD screen, you could try.

The models, from top to bottom are:
Shann Johnson
Erika Valdez
Brandi Greenfield
Maiki Maddox
Jennifer Palmer.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman