Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Fuji Astia 100 on grey background comes out violet?
Old 02-28-2004, 03:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
JamesTu

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 24.55.46.76

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I shot a model today with some Fuji Astia ( alleged expiration date 11/05 ) on a grey background and it turned out purple. Anyone have any ideas why it film might do this? Chemistry? Expired film? Underexposure?

This was my 2nd studio shoot and I have a lot to learn, the first one was over 2 years ago with hot lights.
I actually think it looks cooler than a grey background, but just wondering why that would happen. For those of you who are wondering why her hand disappears into the skirt, its a pink skirt with a wavy black mesh over it. I know I need to avoid that type of clothing like the plague or learn how to light it properly.

Re: Fuji Astia 100 on grey background comes out violet?
Old 02-28-2004, 04:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977
Comments: 0

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 24.130.241.138

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Well it could be chemistry, expired film, or underexposure. Seriously, it looks like expired film to me. Film that is too fresh (not aged) is usually green. Film that is too old (or perhaps stored in a warm place, or exposed to airport x-rays) can have odd color shifts. I shoot a lot of Astia and it never looks like this.

Here's some ways to test it. If you have more of the same emulsion, shoot a test roll (BTW, make sure you don't have some kind of pink filter on the lens). Try some frames under similar lighting, with a direct flash on camera, and also outdoors (just to make sure its not the lighting - I don't know your light source), Also, when you shoot indoors, make sure you don't have some strong pinkish colored wall nearby that could be infecting your shot with color as the light bounces around the room.

Take your film to a different lab and have it run. If it comes out looking the same, its the film. If it looks good (normal), try another test roll (same emulsion) and this time take it back to the first lab and have it run. If it still looks bad, its their chemistry. If it looks good at the second lab, and then looks OK when you go back to the first lab, I'd still say chemistry, but they've probably fixed it (it does happen). Ask them. Most labs will own up to it unless they think you're going to try and sue them, although most claim they're only liable for replacement film & processing. At the very least, they'll process some rolls for free.

Its not likely to be underexposed because first of all, it would be dark. Second, if it was dark and you pushed it, even three stops (which I've done) you wouldn't have that kind of color shift.

You know, I see a soft black arc shaped pattern on the front of her skirt, this looks like a kink in the film (a light leak would be a white or yellow mark) which would inhibit that part of the film being processed enough. If that'd wha I see, I'm betting its a bad lab. They kink film when they load it, and run it in exhausted chemistry.

If you don't have more of the same emulsion, go back to the camera store and see if you can get some more. (Look to see where they store the film. Hopefully in a refridgerator and not on a shelf facing the sun). The emulsion number is on the film box and on the edge of your processed film, next to the sprockett holes, you'll have to open the mounts to see it. If you can't find any more of the same emulsion, do the tests anyway, and if everything looks fine, it was probably a one-time event. It always helps to test your emulsion when you can, always buy from reputable sellers, and use a good lab.

Good luck, let us know what you find out. Like I said, I shoot a lot of Astia. This is what its supposed to look like (also gray seamless).

model: Jaime Bergman

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Old 02-28-2004, 05:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
JamesTu

Member GG#:
Comments:

Thank you for the quick reply Andy, your expertise is very helpful. I will definitely shoot a test roll or two, because I bought a 20 roll pack of this stuff. Now that I think about it, my last two rolls shot with this film was also a little on the purple side, but I shot that roll with natural light on a rainy day, so I was expecting a little purple in the picture.

I am starting to lean towards the film being the culprit. I shot 4 rolls of this Astia, and processed two rolls at two different labs, all four rolls seem to have a pretty significant purple tint. I actually shot three rolls of film today, somehow a roll of ISO 800 Superia XTRA got in my bag and I only realized it when I shot 24 exposures instead of 36. The roll of Superia was overexposed but had no purple tint. So we can eliminate the light source and the any nearby purple objects coloring the light. Ive had pretty consistant results at one of the labs, so it is most likely the film. I must confess though, I bought this film off ebay [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] I figured 11/05 expiration date would be ok and as a student I needed to save money where ever possible.

Seems like a easy problem to correct in Photoshop, or maybe I should just keep using purple tinted film and call it my ''style'' [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-28-2004, 11:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime of Obsession

Member GG#: 38218
Send a message via ICQ to kevgre Send a message via AIM to kevgre Send a message via Yahoo to kevgre

kevgre is offline IP: 69.139.84.170

Where is it you bought your film ? I purchased from filmclub off of eBay and bought 60 rolls of Astia 100. My first roll came out with color shifs (expiry date rated May 2005)

I think these guys are crooks but I'm giving it 2 more rolls (in for developing now) to see if this is the case.

Did you get your film from the same guys ?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kevgre Visit kevgre's homepage! Find More Posts by kevgre

Old 02-28-2004, 03:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
JamesTu

Member GG#:
Comments:

Yeah, I bought off the same people. The feedback was pretty good but I already left feedback after my first two rolls were processed. Their label that comes in 20 roll pack looks like they printed it themselves. Let me know how things go with them.

When I change the color balance in PS everything seems to be ok.

Storage storage storage
Old 03-02-2004, 05:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Marko

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 63.206.194.87

That date is the expiry date provided the film has been stored at proper temperature. If it's stored well, you can have relatively properly color balanced film for some time beyond that even. But you store it next to the heater or in a sunny window and it will shift long before the expiration date.

I checked FilmClub out
Old 03-02-2004, 07:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 24.0.99.79

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]I took a look again at Filmclub's feedback. In the last year they have only had 7 negatives out of 2360 transactions. If they are selling bad film I can't see why there wouldn't be many negatives against them.

Did you post a complaint?
Did you contact the seller to see what they have to say?

Until you have contacted eBay and the Seller about this "supposed" bad film, I think you ought to tread carefully. Let us all know what you find out from eBay and the Seller.

Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 03-03-2004, 12:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36241

Austin is offline IP: 12.107.109.66

Hello-
I used to use Astia all the time until the 10D. Its great film, especially pushed a stop. I agree with everyone about the film being expired. In fact, the same exact color cast happened to me when shooting Astia. The film wasnt expired but I had left it in a hot car all day, like a fool. I was suprised to see the purple cast but really thats the only thing I can attribute it to. Hope this helps!

EOS 70-200L Astia +1 stop
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Austin Visit Austin's homepage! Find More Posts by Austin

Previous thread addressed this...
Old 03-09-2004, 11:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 65.42.240.93

Take a look at this thread on this forum at

http://www.garageglamour.com/ubbthre...sed&sb=5&o=186

Yes. the URL is really that long, and you may have to paste it, sorry about that...

It may be easier to go to the Index page and look for the thread with the title "Warning - Bad film on eBay"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak