Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Image Size Reduction?
Old 02-27-2004, 05:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37283
Comments: 0

762NATO is offline IP: 62.128.179.3

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'm in the process of reducing my images from this little adventure, (Kuwait/ Iraq), to burn to CD for copyright registration. I've got approx. 5.5 Gigs of 3008x2000. Been chiseling away at with Photoshop, using "save for the web". Man, this is killing me! Anybody have any methods or programs to run batches before I lose what's left of my mind? I don't remember who recommended it, but for applying copyright to the images, Picture Shark kicks ass, and I'm grateful for the introduction to it. I would recommend it highly. Take care all, George
  View Public Profile Send a private message to 762NATO Find More Posts by 762NATO

Create an Action
Old 02-27-2004, 06:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 24.0.99.79

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Just record an action in PHotoshop. You can include anything you want including the adding of the copyright notice. The last thing would be to do the Save for Web. Then use File Automate with your new action and point to the folder where the photos are that you want processed.
Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Re: Image Size Reduction & CD production
Old 02-27-2004, 09:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 24.130.241.138

For the copyright office registration you don't need a copyright notice on the images, so that should save you some energy right there. Then, all you need to send them is an image that is big enough to recognize on the screen. I send 2000x1500 files, at approx 1.5mb, of digital photos of filled slide pages. That means I'm getting 20 slides copied in one frame, and that's a lot of images overall. If I register digial images, or scans of slides, depending on how much room I have on the CD (based on how many frames I'm registering) I may re-size them down to something like 300 pixels on the long side, and I use an automated method to do it (I use Thumbs Plus, but you can also do it with PS actions). You could also make PS "Contact Sheets" and save them as files. Whatever you want. Its just for registration, not reproduction. Using this method, you can get thousands and thousands of images registered at one time for $30. I suggest though, and what I do is, organize them into logical groups, perhaps by shoot date, or model name, or something that makes sense to you, and put them in folders. I also add a text file called "readme.txt" with a copyright notice, my contact information, and the title of the CD. Remember when you register your copyright, each registration needs a title of some sort. For example when I register every 3 months, I may title one "3rd Qtr 2003". You just have to make it possible for the Copyright office to find them when you need them.

If they are all unpublished (the easiest way to do it) then you can use the one-sided short form, VAS. Be sure to include the check and CD, and keep a copy of the CD for your own records.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio

View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Re: Image Size Reduction & CD production
Old 02-28-2004, 01:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37283

762NATO is offline IP: 62.128.179.2

Hey all, Thanks! I guess I'll go the contact sheet route as I do know how to do that. I'm not what you would call "suave" with PS, and have'nt dealt with actions thus far. Actually I've done very little with PS of late as I've been focusing on shooting for quality. In reviewing my files (I file by date), I can see consistant improvement, and am quite confident of the results when shooting, and I'm continueing to experiment with different techniques. Does'nt look like the "big deal" from a couple weeks ago is going to happen, but he has expressed interest in some of my images for some book he plans to do on the war at some point in the future, when I spoke to him last. Should be out of here the end of next month to be home around mid-April, so it's almost time to contact Jason Etzel and get the 80~200 f/2.8 on the way! Thanks again all! George
  View Public Profile Send a private message to 762NATO Find More Posts by 762NATO

Re: Image Size Reduction?
Old 03-02-2004, 12:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
FlashPic

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 206.71.122.150

Ive run across a neat little program called PixConverter from [http://www.coffeecup.com] CoffeeCup software. It lets you set a range to crop to... ie. 600 height and 600 width but keeps the ratio the same. The longest side of your image will be only 600 pixels. Another neat feature is the ability to add a text or image watermark.

I've used some other methods to reduce the images for uploading to a web site etc. but they remove the EXIF information. This software keeps the EXIF information intact.

It can also do batch processing. I have converted over 200 images in a matter of seconds and they come out with the watermark and EXIF information imbeded.

Happy shooting........ [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

P.S. You might want to invest in a good DVD burner (4.7 gigs per disk). You can save you images in the native size and edit them to your hearts content without worrying about destroying or altering the original.

Old 03-03-2004, 08:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36369
Send a message via AIM to tommymc

tommymc is offline IP: 205.188.208.8

Tell me some about shark please
  View Public Profile Send a private message to tommymc Visit tommymc's homepage! Find More Posts by tommymc

Old 03-03-2004, 09:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36463

BryanJWeitzel is offline IP: 12.223.187.39

I've got a little utility program called IrfanView. I did a batch resize of about 200 images in ten minutes or so. Visit this web page for info and a download. It won't replace Photoshop by any means... but some things are a hell of a lot easier.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BryanJWeitzel Visit BryanJWeitzel's homepage! Find More Posts by BryanJWeitzel

Old 03-03-2004, 09:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35402

Gunfitr is offline IP: 205.188.208.8

Nato:

Put all the files you want resized in one folder.

Make a new folder and give it a name like "small size".

Open photoshop.

Go to File-Automate-create web photo gallery.

A menu will come up asking you for the location directory (the folder where the big images are) and a destination directory (where you want them to go. ie "small size".

You can pick the size you want, up to 800 pixels on the large side and the amount of compression you want.

Leave the parameters for "simple" and "htm" extensions as is.

Once you get all your parameters set, click O.K.

Photoshop will go to work.

When it has finished, it will try to launch your web browser (even if you don't have the net on) You can then view all the small size photos as if they are a web photo gallery. ( I run AOL, and in some cases, it tries to launch the file while PHOTOSHOP is open and I get an error message, but if I turn photoshop off, it works fine thereafter)

But you say you just want the small images....right? You don't want a web photo gallery.

Just go to the "destination" folder that you set up and open it in Windows Explorer. You are going to see a couple of folders and a number of HTML files. Delete all of those files and folders except the one that says "images".

If you open the file that says "images", you are going to see all of your original images "resized" to the parameters you set. You will also find three extra images in that folder, an up arrow, a down arrow and a next arrow. Delete those three files.

You can resize over 1000 images with about three mouse clicks by doing this and it takes less time than it took me to type this.

>>>>>>>

On a similiar note, a lot of people ask about "viewing software" to include on a C.D. when images are sent to a model. If you simply create a "web photo gallerY" and save all the files that Photoshope creates to the C.D., they can just use their web browser (IE6, aol, WHATEVER) to view the photos, without having to open and close each of the individual files.

I don't remember offhand, but one of the HTML files that Photoshop creates, you just click on it, to launch the photogallery....once you find that file (Index.html I think) you can rename it to "click here" or "viewphotos" or something easy for the model to find and click on.

IF the model has a minimum of computer skills, she at a minimum should be able to put the cd in the tray, open the directory and click on that one file to launch the thing.

Since HTML is compatible with just about every computer made and marketed in the past 5 years that came with a browser, you should have no compatibility problems.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Gunfitr Find More Posts by Gunfitr

Old 05-23-2009, 08:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42991
My Mood:

DocSmith is offline IP: 74.163.2.82

I'm using Automate>Batch to apply a copyright watermark to a folder of several hundred JPEG proofs, but I am getting prompted each file by the JPEG Options dialog box. How do I override this prompt?

Thanks,
Mike
Gulf Breeze, Florida 32562
(850) 712-0639
www.michaelsmithphotography.biz

Studio One Pensacola
103 W. Intendencia Street
Pensacola, FL 32502
(850) 712-0639
www.studioonepensacola.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DocSmith Visit DocSmith's homepage! Find More Posts by DocSmith

Old 05-23-2009, 11:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37850
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via MSN to JonScott Send a message via Yahoo to JonScott

JonScott is offline IP: 206.212.226.175

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSmith View Post
I'm using Automate>Batch to apply a copyright watermark to a folder of several hundred JPEG proofs, but I am getting prompted each file by the JPEG Options dialog box. How do I override this prompt?

Thanks,
Mike
Mike, your Batch control panel should look like this, in terms of the selections, particularly the "Override Save As Command" checkbox.

.:Why isn't "I like kitties" an acceptable career goal?:.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott