Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
10D Softness?
Old 02-26-2004, 07:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38258
Comments: 0

Superdave is offline IP: 198.53.9.107

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Wonder if anyone can offer any advice or opinions on this, what am I talking about its an open forum! Ok well I am in desperate need of my own digital SLR and have been eyeing the 10D for quite some time. The one hesitation I am having is the complaint that even though you focus properly on a models eye there tends to be a certain softness to it. Find it to get softer the more diffused the light source. The past weekend shoot required different looks for the model from hard aggressive to very soft and sensual. The hard style we used a Studio strobe without a reflector to get the effect we wanted, pics turned out great. Throw on a soft box and you can see that the softness appears usually around the face? Looking at the photo it is not a Depth problem. And to add even more concern was my latest conversation with my Canon Supplier. He told of more then one customer saying that the shots are soft at anythng past 15 feet? Doesn't make any sense to me but need some advice. But the 10D or save my penny's ( well paychecks really ) for the MarkII?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Superdave Find More Posts by Superdave

What 10D Softness?
Old 02-26-2004, 08:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.32.102.231

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

All I can say is that I've been using a 10D now for a couple of months and have seen absolutely no indication of any sort of softness. I've made many 11x14 prints and a couple at 16x20; no softness. Some were within 5 or 15 feet, with regular use of softboxes, others were 15 to 20 feet outdoors; no softness. It would be my suggestion that most off-focus issues more than likely come from incorrect camera technique or the use of inferior lenses. I find abslutely no sharpness issue.

I suppose an occasional camera might have a problem not caught by quality control, but so did (do) film cameras. Get the 10D, you'll love it as much as I love mine.

Distinctive Images
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Doug_Lester Visit Doug_Lester's homepage! Find More Posts by Doug_Lester

Re: What 10D Softness?
Old 02-26-2004, 08:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

I can understand the softness from poor focusing or lower end lenses. I used my 35-350. I realize its not the best of canon lenses but it was the lens used in both photo's talked about. I appreciate your reply and feel like I am soon going to be the proud owner of a 10D. (I hear that there is a small price drop coming mid march) Do you find any difference between RAW and Large JPG from the 10D, another heated topic at my suppliers.

Thanks

Dave
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Superdave Find More Posts by Superdave

Unfounded rumour...
Old 02-26-2004, 08:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 24.0.99.79

I've seen this idea floated on a number of forums. It almost always turns out to be someone doing something wrong with the camera. I've had my 10D for about a year and have taken about 6000 shots with it. It has been tack sharp. And I'm not even using a top lens (I normally use a Tamron 28x300 XR). Keep in mind that there are settings in the camera to do seveal grades of sharpening, contrast and saturation adjustment. If you have these set to 0, then the shot might not be optimum (right out of the camera). I leave mine set to 0, but then adjust in Photoshop since my computer and Photoshop are alot more powerful than the processor in the camera.
Cheers,
rfs

View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Re: 10D Softness?
Old 02-26-2004, 09:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35623

bscott3125 is offline IP: 12.218.132.231

I've had mine for awhile now and I've never had a problem with softness except when I've screwed up [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I will offer this suggestion. By default the 10D uses several focusing points. There is a setting you can modify so that it only uses the center focusing point. I highly recommend making this change. The others focus based on contrast and such. The center one uses precision focus (this is the way it was explained to me by Canon). I think this may cause some of the softness that you hear about not to mention end user erros. So give it a try both ways and see what works best for you. I do recommend new lenses as well.

Just my two cents!!

Thanks,
Brent
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bscott3125 Visit bscott3125's homepage! Find More Posts by bscott3125

10D Softness, raw and jpeg
Old 02-26-2004, 09:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37344

slowpokebill is offline IP: 67.2.128.7

Let me say up front I don't shoot much glamour. Lack of know how, models and time seems to be my excuses. I do a fair amount of wildlife and landscapes photography. Sharpness is very important and the 10D with decent glass does a great job. Well at least I'm not getting complaints.

If storage space isn't an issue I shoot raw. It gives you more latitude in your files to work with when post processing. It does add a step or two to the work flow. With a good raw converter like Breeze Browser, Capture One or RAW CS it really only takes a few minutes. So for me it shoot raw, convert with Capture One and save as an Adobe RGB 16 bitt tiff. That way I have as much possible information to work with now or in the future. Also it allows me to control exposure, sharpening and contrast. All which can be done better with Photoshop than in the camera. It is just a matter of flexibility. One other thing the 10D writes a jpeg with the raw file so you can extract that if you want a jpeg original. I hope that helps. Get the 10D and you will be thrilled.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to slowpokebill Visit slowpokebill's homepage! Find More Posts by slowpokebill

Old 02-26-2004, 09:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35341
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to hicspix

hicspix is offline IP: 205.188.208.8

I understand your reservations. When it was time for me to invest in a DSLR, I found the 10D was the best camera out there for the money and my use. But I also came across the soft-focus threads on some of the forums.

The long and the short of it, I did go with the 10D and haven't had a bit of trouble with it (focus or otherwise) since buying it in July, 2003 and shooting 4,000+ frames.

Some subsequent posts I've seen suggest that Canon may have shipped out a few clunkers with the focus problem at the start of the run. But, like the others who replied here, I think it was more likely pilot error than anything else.

Having said this, I have also seen posts elsewhere that show which Canon lenses match up best with the 10D. There apparently are some lesser lenses that yeild a softer image when used with the camera. A google.com search by you will likely turn that list up.

Hope this helps in your decision making,
Dave
  View Public Profile Send a private message to hicspix Visit hicspix's homepage! Find More Posts by hicspix

Old 02-26-2004, 10:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35498

NorthC is offline IP: 68.15.177.122

I have only had my 10d for 8 days... I LOVE IT. I have not found any softness issue. Nor a focus issue.

Canon 70-200 2.8
Canon 50 1.4
Sigma 24-70 2.8

I have shot Raw and Large cant tell the difference. Raw gives you so much more in post...

These were shot last weekend all with the 70-200

Enjoy your new Camera... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

One thing I did mess up on this shoot was the White Balance Bracket. IT was on... so now I have three of every image. I was wondering why it took so long to write each image... LOL [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to NorthC Visit NorthC's homepage! Find More Posts by NorthC

Old 02-27-2004, 11:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Interesting comment about the center focusing point being the "precise" focusing point for the camera. When shooting this past weekend I was shooting vertical and using either the top or second focusing point. Anyone else have any experience with this? I'll see what kind of dirt I can dig up with Canon.

Thanks for shedding more light on this.

Dave

Old 02-27-2004, 11:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35428

Wade is offline IP: 152.163.253.33

Hey Mr. North, just curious, what do you think of that Sigma 24-70 2.8? I have been looking at it to expand my lens selection. Thanks.

Wade
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Wade Visit Wade's homepage! Find More Posts by Wade