Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
HELP!!! Liquify application error in ps with new video card
Old 02-10-2004, 04:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390
Comments: 0

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.105.117.8

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Video Card in question - Mad Dog Conquerer fx 5200 plus GeForce fx AGP 8x/4x 128 mb

Situation - All other functions in ps 7 work fine.

Problem - Liquify tool working application is in fault

Operating system - Windows ME...Sucks!!!!!!!!

I want to use the liquify tool on a specific assignment on certain images for a client. I am not thinning waist lines or anything of that nature but I do want to morph some other elements with hair, and clothing.

I have captured some screen shots to reveal the situation

If you notice when proceeding to the liquify filter the image in preview is even off with the white banding below. When trying to morph an area, it actually acts like the rubber stamp. If you apply, resize, zoom or what have you then it actually performs or previews what you applied but it obviously doesn't in real time. If you move the application window from side to side then you notice the image malfunctioning as well. Then you resize, rezoom and then it tries and corrects itself but still notice the image is not exactly in line with the band at the bottom.

I have downloaded the latest driver and there is no known issue as far as what tech support told me.

I am about ready to dump this so called high performance video card and buy another one unless I have accidentally hit a buttom in some preferences I never heard of or what have you.......of course I am thinking I just need to buy a Mac.......

Anyone have a clue?????

View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Re: HELP!!! Liquify application error in ps with new video card
Old 02-10-2004, 04:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37850
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via MSN to JonScott Send a message via Yahoo to JonScott

JonScott is offline IP: 66.129.202.98

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quick question: Did it work properly BEFORE the video card upgrade?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott

Old 02-10-2004, 04:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.105.117.8

YES

View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Liquify Tool
Old 02-10-2004, 04:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37526

tortuga337 is offline IP: 67.173.226.22

JT:

Love your stuff and love the Liquify tool, could not live without it. Run both Mac and Windows XP (ME sucks really bad) but gave up running PS on windows after 6 'cause I just couldn't afford 2 versions.

Anyway, my guess is that is most likely memory related. I though Windows does that automatically but don't know about ME. Just a thought.

Joe

(used the liquify tool her, just a bit.)

View Public Profile Send a private message to tortuga337 Visit tortuga337's homepage! Find More Posts by tortuga337

Old 02-10-2004, 04:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37850
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via MSN to JonScott Send a message via Yahoo to JonScott

JonScott is offline IP: 66.129.202.98

Assuming that all other compatibility conditions have been met (firmware, you already have the modern drivers, etc) I'd say it's a fairly clear warrantee situation...It should be very straightforward to have it replaced. Sounds to me like something's afoul with one of the DSP chips.

This very situation happened to me after installing the new (at the time) hot-rod Radeon card in my G4...It was wonderfull with the exception of real-time rendering. I lived with it for about ten minutes - then it was a no-questions asked warrantee trade.

Hope that helps...Perhaps a Windows expert will have further insights.

View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott

Old 02-10-2004, 05:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36333

gr8shotz00 is offline IP: 208.187.232.2

I too am voting on memory. You either need more in your PC. PS is always hungry for memory. But....Since it worked fine before the video upgrade my fist guess would be a faulty video card. When you perform liquify it just happens to access the bad spot on the video ram causing it to error out.

Before taking back the card for a new one I would just check for latest driver information for this card to work on ME and also any patches that PS might suggest for this video chipset. If all that is checked, then I would certainly take the card back and try again.

PS: I'm an authorized Microsoft Software reseller. Even Microsoft didn't like ME. I know it caused my shop lots of conflicts and hardware issues. Don't be surprised if it is aiding in the problem some how with this new upgrade.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to gr8shotz00 Find More Posts by gr8shotz00

Old 02-10-2004, 06:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35859

DWilson is offline IP: 198.161.43.220

Okay, Option #1 says it's bad Video RAM (everyone please stop using the term Memory to refer to ram and harddrive space, Yes they're both memory but they're two totally separate things and too many people are confused by the term). Get the card replaced.

Option #2 - Pitch ME into a garbage compactor/incinerator and get your self up to XP Pro, it will save you on Advil costs. This option alone could solve the problem but do a card replacement first. If it's still pooched then do the OS switch.

Make sure you completely redo your system to XP Pro, don't just do an upgrade. While it's worked fine me in the past I've never gone from ME to XP and the thought terrifies me!

Good luck.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DWilson Visit DWilson's homepage! Find More Posts by DWilson

Old 02-10-2004, 06:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35859

DWilson is offline IP: 198.161.43.220

The memory problem here wouldn't be with the PC, it's with the Video card itself.

And while Windows does do an okay job of handling RAM on it's own, sometimes giving operational parameters helps out a lot.

I usually set up my virtual memory (swap file allocation) to a minimum of 500Megs and a max of 2gigs. It's served me well so far.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DWilson Visit DWilson's homepage! Find More Posts by DWilson

Old 02-16-2004, 05:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Old, Bald, Village Idiot

Member GG#: 36160
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to AGellert

AGellert is offline IP: 67.3.213.194

JT,

Just a note for you and others... (being in the software and hardware tech support business for over 9 yrs).

It does sound like a Video card issue.. It just may be that the Video Card has a bad chip on it, but....

"ME" and that video card is the probable reason. You didnt say which video card you had before.. but I would venture a small guess.. possibly ATI?

Regardless... Windows-"ME" has a BIG problem with upgrading. I have seen on about 50 computers (at least), that "ME" dosent like to change things. If it is installed in a computer it finds the current hardware, and configures itself for those items it finds.

NOTE: the drivers and other settings are for hardware manufactured BEFORE "ME" was released. Upgrading the drivers for, or installing new hardware, just screws up the "ME" registry.

The worst problems I have seen in the last three yrs are from Video cards. Usually when people are switching from ATI to Radeon or G-Force, and sometimes even Nvidia.

The first time dealing with this error, I had to edit the registry, which I DONT SUGGEST YOU TRY. I found from my access to the TechNet database from Microsoft, the best thing to do with this error, IF you are going to stay with "ME", is to put the old card in the system, uninstall the software drivers , then to install the new card and install it. If when picking the drivers, it still shows the old driver or Card info, you willl have to reinstall the "ME" operating system. This can be done WITHOUT, formatting the HD, and WITHOUT loosing your other software.

I would suggest.. First replacing the card, just in case it is a Video Card problem, but if you get the same thing happening, it is the "ME" configuration issue.

Hope this helps....

Andrew
  View Public Profile Send a private message to AGellert Visit AGellert's homepage! Find More Posts by AGellert

Old 02-16-2004, 09:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37283

762NATO is offline IP: 62.128.179.3

Went through this same thing on my PC at home for running ME and trying to install a G-force card, while home on leave. I think the best solution would be to get rid of ME, as I can't relate any good experiences for having it as a OS.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to 762NATO Find More Posts by 762NATO