Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Blooming
Old 02-03-2004, 03:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37850
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via MSN to JonScott Send a message via Yahoo to JonScott

JonScott is offline IP: 66.129.202.98

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

OK, I'm mildly familiar with the concept of blooming in terms of what it is.

What I don't know, and would like to know, is how to prevent or reduce it...

In this example, there is blue blooming on the visible heel of Heather's shoe, just in the shadow, as well as in the foreground and in the shadow behind her.

Perhaps this isn't the best example to use, it was a total freak accident (but I think it's still interesting to look at): She was scooting toward the edge of the mat to change when she got into that light. I screamed (happily) "WAIT!!!! DON'T MOVE!!!!!!" and scurried to turn off the rest of the lights for a more exagerrated effect...

So I guess this is a bit of a two-parter...

I'd like to know about keeping the blooming down with my S2, and I'd like to know what kinds of changes to make to make a shot like this on purpose, that looks on purpose.

Thanks all!

View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott

Re: Blooming
Old 02-03-2004, 01:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35859
Comments: 0

DWilson is offline IP: 198.161.43.220

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'm not really sure what you're referring to, I don't see anything on my screen. However, I don't think you'll be getting blooming in this shot unless we're talking about two differentthings that are both referred to as blooming...For me, blooming is when you take a shot of a motorcycle on a bright sunny day. The bloom comes on the reflections of the sun on shiny surfaces where you get your star effect (in digital) and the glow around the surface that is doing the reflecting. The glow doesn't actually exist but the camera is recording it due to the high intensity of the light reflecting off the metal.

Even if you're actually referring to Chromatic Abberation I don't see how you'd be getting that in the dark areas of your image. Sorry, I blew a lot of brain cells on the bloom subject, check out some articles on the net for a description Chromatic Abberation, www.dpreview.com would be a good place to start.

Anyway, maybe I just totally not understanding you here at all. I don't see a problem in this image but that doesn't mean it's not there. I'm on my work system and it's totally not set up for image viewing.

Cheers!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DWilson Visit DWilson's homepage! Find More Posts by DWilson

Old 02-03-2004, 04:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

My Mood:

Well, it looks cleaner in the browser window than it does in PhotoShop...(go figure)

There is A LOT of chromatic aberration (small clusters of bluish tinted pixels) in the shadows to screen right behind her, on the heel of the visible shoe and in the shadow under her knees, and in the foreground.

It's been awhile since I've read the article at dpreview...I had forgotten about it. It's time to read it again (among others)...

Thanks!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott

Old 02-03-2004, 05:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35859

DWilson is offline IP: 198.161.43.220

If I save this image to my system should I see it? I've zoomed in and increased brightness to insane levels and I still don't see anything.

Could you maybe repost the shot with the trouble areas circled? I sure hope I'm not actually going color blind like some friends hinted to a few weeks ago...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DWilson Visit DWilson's homepage! Find More Posts by DWilson

Old 02-03-2004, 05:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36241

Austin is offline IP: 12.107.109.66

Looks like chromatic aberration. What lens are you using? Any filters? It is more common along lines of contrast in a shot and can be caused by lenses with a lot of elements (zooms), or filters, or lenses of lesser build. I'm not trying to knock your gear (the rest of the shot is sharp and colorful), but let's just say certain lenses are more prone to CA. fredmiranda.com, luminous-landscape.com are great places to read reviews where CA is discussed on an individual lens basis.

Hope this helps! -Austin
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Austin Visit Austin's homepage! Find More Posts by Austin

Old 02-03-2004, 10:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

My Mood:

It's pretty much all in the direct shadow...

Old 02-03-2004, 10:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

My Mood:

You've got me there, for sure...I didn't realize that it occurred more frequently with zoom lenses.

This lens isn't a primo lens, faster glass is in the works.

Nikkor 28-100 at f5.6, no filters
Fuji S2
Center-Weighted meter
Auto WB (this is from the same shoot that I had the questions about the red problem, I've since changed that program)
Fine mode JPEG, 2304 long side
Color set to High
Tone set to Hard
Sharpness set to Hard

Thanks for the links, Austin - I'll certainly check them out!

Old 02-04-2004, 09:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 24.54.5.240

I'm with Dave on this one. All is see is fully saturated black and I know I'm not color blind. Are you using a calibrated monitor?
Mark
Now this shot has some blue in it that I'm not sure where it came from.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper

Old 02-04-2004, 10:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36241

Austin is offline IP: 24.13.210.94

Well, believe it or not, I'm using a POS (not point of sale, but piece of sh!t) monitor at work in 800x600. Weird, because I read this post last nite at home on a calibrated triniton at 1024x768 and it looked all black.....

Anyway, have a look at this: http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glos...rations_01.htm

There are some pretty textbook examples of CA, and ways to fix it. Hope this helps! -Austin
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Austin Visit Austin's homepage! Find More Posts by Austin

Old 02-04-2004, 11:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36882
Comments: 2
My Mood:

RonC is offline IP: 67.120.93.163

Hi Jon,
I don't see any of what your seeing, on my monitor or even zoomed to 300% in PS.
RonC
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RonC Visit RonC's homepage! Find More Posts by RonC