Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
I need a little help with red (among other things)...
Old 01-20-2004, 02:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37850
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via MSN to JonScott Send a message via Yahoo to JonScott

JonScott is offline IP: 66.129.202.98

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Ok, my brain has just chosen to lock up...I'm having trouble tuning the excess red out of Heather's flesh tones...

Notes are that she is fairly tan, it was fairly cold in her garage (neither of us remembered to do something about heat, but she's a great trooper and we went ahead with it), four total 750w tungsten-halogen floodlights, one on model right on floor illuminating the background, one on the opposite corner bouncing off of the wall, two at 45 degrees to model left, five feet high, one bouncing off of the ceiling, one aimed direct with perforated tracing paper. Fuji S2, ISO 400, Aperture priority (f4), WB Auto.

Before there's quacking about the backdrop, I just want to point out that a real backdrop set up is in the works [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Thanks all for the look!

View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott

Re: I need a little help with red (among other things)...
Old 01-20-2004, 04:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
robertjohan

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 212.59.4.154

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Goodday to you,

I have gotten very good skincolours by using an imagecorrecting program,really
very easy to use.
The name is i"Correct 4.0.
Just click on a part of the skin and that,s all to do.
You will be suprised to see the results!

Best regards,
Rob de Voogd [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Old 01-20-2004, 09:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
GG_Staff

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 67.85.65.104

On your picture, all I did was AutoLevels in Photoshop and that did wonders for the photo. You could also go into Color Balance and work with the colors there. To remove red, you generally add cyan.

Something you probably need to investigate...
Old 01-20-2004, 11:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35455
Comments: 0

RobertRSanders is offline IP: 64.171.118.73

Jon is your over-saturation of red coming out of your camera - if it is a constant and reoccurring problem. You have what appears to be a common profile of a camera that has some years on it, allot of captures, or an abused child. (just kidding about the abused child [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ) Older digital cameras that have been around the block for awhile have a tendency to over-saturate in the magenta to red spectrum, this is an indication the green processing channel is failing allowing the red to become predominant; if yellow then the blue channel is suffering.

Having said that, this just may be a case of white balance rather than a failure. When shooting with tungsten or hot lights, there is a higher UV factor that predominates the saturation levels of the processor. Rather than using auto WB, I highly recommend always securing the session with a custom WB to ensure you are letting the brain in the camera know just exactly what it is in for.

How to fix the image you posted: Open in Photoshop. Image>Adjustments>Hue/Saturation - change the selector bar to Reds, move the Saturation [middle] slider to the left to a -30 (approx.) close window. Now go to Image>Adjustments>Levels - move the middle handlebar [gamma] to the left so it reads anywhere between 1.10 and 1.20, close window. That is a great adjustment pulling your flesh-tones down from over 60% of yellow & magenta to approx. 40% yellow & magenta with a cyan of approx. 16/17%.

Robert
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RobertRSanders Visit RobertRSanders's homepage! Find More Posts by RobertRSanders

Old 01-20-2004, 12:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36266

IIsassi is offline IP: 24.167.37.169

Using custom white balance would most likely have prevented the red cast.

One way to reduce red in skin tones in Photoshop:

- add a duplicate layer
- desaturate this layer
- reduce the opacity until you get the results you want

You can then erase the other areas of the image if you don't want them affected (i.e. clothing)

Israel
  View Public Profile Send a private message to IIsassi Find More Posts by IIsassi

Re: Something you probably need to investigate...
Old 01-20-2004, 03:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

My Mood:

I hope that this camera doesn't have millions of caps on it, or is terribly old (it arrived new on New Year's Eve less than one month ago, but it could still be an old rev).

[ QUOTE ]
When shooting with tungsten or hot lights, there is a higher UV factor that predominates the saturation levels of the processor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooh...I didn't know that...

[ QUOTE ]
Having said that, this just may be a case of white balance rather than a failure.

[/ QUOTE ]

It DOES tend to shift a small bit toward the red side, but I was semi-expectant of that, having read in many reviews that that's a common trait in the S2.

I will certainly heed your advice about setting WB in my next session...This is too annoying to have to fix every time!

Aha! H&S is the function that I TOTALLY forgot about...*sound of palm smacking forehead* I was running myself in circles in Levels...Thank you for THAT reminder!

Thank you Robert! (I'm in great hopes of being able to get down south and attend your Supershoot with JT...Just a matter of scheduling at this point)

Cheers!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott

Old 01-20-2004, 03:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

My Mood:

That's a very interesting sounding app...I"ll have to keep my eyes open for it on the Mac side.

Thanks for the turn-on!

My pleasure and JT and I hope...
Old 01-20-2004, 07:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35455

RobertRSanders is offline IP: 67.121.216.179

you can make it as well Jon. Just to let you know, it is booking very quickly now - it will fill up - so this is going to be a great program. Hope to see you here.

Robert

San Diego Smackdown, Feb 28-29
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RobertRSanders Visit RobertRSanders's homepage! Find More Posts by RobertRSanders