Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
What about the D30 as a starting point?
Old 01-16-2004, 04:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 216.232.156.207

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

For those of you who read my posting regarding using a Canon EOS Digital Rebel (300D) as a starting camera I now pose the question about purchasing a (used) D30 instead. The camera may be more robust than the Rebel but it does suffer in CMOS size...and it is older technology that has been discontinued. But the selling point, in this case, is that the person selling it is asking for 1/2 the cost of a new Digital Rebel and, because it would be a private sale, there would be no taxes to pay (currently 14.5% Provincial & Federal).

I do know that, at one time, the D30 was near top of the line for Canon and that there have been many fine images captured with this camera so the track record is good for it...but is it so long in the tooth that I should suggest that we just pass it up?

Thanks, Richard
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RHWeiner Visit RHWeiner's homepage! Find More Posts by RHWeiner

Re: What about the D30 as a starting point?
Old 01-16-2004, 03:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36639
Comments: 0
Send a message via Skype™ to BarryTreleaven

BarryTreleaven is offline IP: 202.6.138.41

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I use the D30 with a 20-35 L Lens and it performs as well as the brain behind the camera operates? sharp well coloured shots are the norm a bit contrasty
in the area of bright light and swimming pool shots but thats liveable
I to bought the D30 for under half the original price part trade with my A-1
complements my EOS 5 perfectly( use the same lenses) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
regards
Barry Treleaven
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BarryTreleaven Visit BarryTreleaven's homepage! Find More Posts by BarryTreleaven

Old 01-16-2004, 04:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35195
Comments: 0

rjwarren is offline IP: 24.160.112.230

Richard

A couple of thoughts. First, there's nothing wrong with an older camera. I use a Fuji S1 as a backup -- and I shoot with it from time to time to make sure it's in shape. Nothing wrong with the images I get from that camera. I do like my S2 better -- but nothing wrong with the older one.

However, how many shots has this camera gone through? That was one reason I bought my S2 when I did. The shutter on a camera has an expected life. So many thousand images. I'm sure it will reliably perform beyond that rating -- but how much farther???? Get a little history on the camera and compare it to Canon's specs.

Bob
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rjwarren Visit rjwarren's homepage! Find More Posts by rjwarren

I understand that it is 3 or 4 years old...
Old 01-16-2004, 05:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 216.232.156.207

...but I'm not sure the person can quantify the amount of images shot with it. I will ask her though and relay that info on to the guys at HotShotz.

One always takes a gamble purchasing older cameras but sometimes you get a good deal, sometimes lemons. I suppose the way to go with this is to ensure that we could do a return to her (reasonable time span) should the camera prove to be defective. Then again it could work very well for a month and then die. You take your chances.

Possible early death aside, because of the relativly small sensor how well does the D30 handle enlargement?...say to poster size? I already realize that as long as what I've captured doesn't need any cropping I'm working with all the info from the camera. So having ideal situations (ie. no cropping required) will I be able to do poster size or need to use a resizer (eg. Genuine Fractals, Spline)?

I've played around with one before and so do have some idea of the quality of the images from that camera...but never had to enlarge beyond 8x12.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RHWeiner Visit RHWeiner's homepage! Find More Posts by RHWeiner

Re: Will you really save any money?
Old 01-17-2004, 12:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35783
Comments: 7
My Mood:

stevenD is offline IP: 66.81.0.10

if you can get a D30 for $500, I suppose this is a good deal and it does take fine pictures, when you shoot in RAW, and convert them to a TIF, you should have a near 10MB file.

BUT, if you get the D30 or a Digital Rebel, it is EXTREMELY likely that you will be happy yet STILL yearning for a 10D. Then selling the D30 or the Rebel, you will lose MONEY...

So if money is tight, why not just save up until you have enough for a 10D and get what you want?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to stevenD Visit stevenD's homepage! Find More Posts by stevenD

Re: Will you really save any money?
Old 01-17-2004, 01:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 216.232.154.75

I certainly understand your POV on this as I feel the same way. However it's a matter of getting something (basically) now that will 'do the job'...and start earning money (or at least attempt to save money). While we do have some monies to work with, we do not want to find ourselves 'buying the car and not affording the gas'. The camera is only one part of the greater shopping list. There still is lighting, props, backdrops, additional equipment, etc., etc. to consider. One does with what one has...or can afford. If I had lottery winnings this would not be a problem that I'd be posting here as I'd ensure that we had all the best 'toys' to play with, alleviate the hassle of being concerned about costs, and then going for the gusto.

If push comes to shove we do have other resources, namely the photographers' own setups. I personally have a reasonable kit, but it's film based. Having played around with a friend's D30 I definitely see the benefit of having/using digital in a studio situation...immediacy and quanity of images. Going film means, as we all know, that we have to wait for the limited number of images to be processed and then suffer through the many hours of scanning these images into the computer. By going this digital route we are trying to sidestep these problems.

However the original intent of this thread was to ascertain if a D30 would be a reasonable starting point and if, as you say, we shoot RAW to TIF then the file sizes should be sufficient for our immediate purposes.

The decision process is still underway and it looks like we might well swing towards the D30...but I'm still going to champion the 10D for what it has, can do and will be capable of doing in the future. Somewhere the buck has got to stop.

[ QUOTE ]
if you can get a D30 for $500, I suppose this is a good deal and it does take fine pictures, when you shoot in RAW, and convert them to a TIF, you should have a near 10MB file.

BUT, if you get the D30 or a Digital Rebel, it is EXTREMELY likely that you will be happy yet STILL yearning for a 10D. Then selling the D30 or the Rebel, you will lose MONEY...

So if money is tight, why not just save up until you have enough for a 10D and get what you want?

[/ QUOTE ]

I\'m selling mine for $650.00
Old 01-18-2004, 03:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 67.39.33.148

How much are you looking to pay for your's?? BTW, if you go to my site, most of the photos were taken with my "old" D30.

JP

(darn site is down now otherwise, I'd send a cool D30 pic along with my post..)

Old 01-18-2004, 10:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
marcogranto

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 65.28.5.130

Richard, having owned a D30 and knowing several who have, I wouldn't buy one. The imgage sensors do eventually fail and I've seen several do it so far and it's without warning. The Rebel digital is far superior to the D30 in all aspects.

Re: I\'m selling mine for $650.00
Old 01-18-2004, 03:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.161.20.179

Ummmm if your site is down thereby making it impossible to post an image....how do we reach the site?

Just curious....lol...

Rick