Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Canon Digital Rebel...reasonable starting point?
Old 01-15-2004, 02:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 216.232.156.207

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'm curious for your observations and comments regarding this camera. As much as I'd love to get my hands on a 10D, the group I'm involved with have a limited budget and so they are looking at starting off with a Digital Rebel. Considering that most of the photography I'll be asked to do for them will be in studio-headshots-portfolio images, I think this camera 'will do' what they need.

I know, I know...there are limitations to this camera but should we necessarily reject it offhand, or purchase it and give it a good workout? The main guts are based on the 10D so I'm a bit reassured by that.

Richard
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RHWeiner Visit RHWeiner's homepage! Find More Posts by RHWeiner

IMHO
Old 01-15-2004, 03:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35318
Comments: 0

JasonNJ is offline IP: 208.222.116.229

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Honestly, Rebel can do what you want. But you know your going to end up wanting to do more. The 10D has many benefits over the Rebel, especially with the body construction.

I would make the fight for the extra funding for the 10D, in the long run it will be a sound investment.

Nothing against the rebel, great camera for the price, but as you said, has its limits.

Unique Photo is taking names for the 10D if you are interested
jasone@uniquephoto.com if you are interested.

Jason NJ
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JasonNJ Visit JasonNJ's homepage! Find More Posts by JasonNJ

Re: IMHO
Old 01-15-2004, 03:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

I'm not too worried about the body construction as this camera will probably stay indoors mostly. Possible accidents aside, I tend to baby my cameras and any cameras in my care.

You are right about wanting more...I know the limitations and I can see us getting into situations that the Rebel won't handle. But, what is to stop the person with the 10D from wanting more? Somewhere, sometime, a person has to look at what's possible and go from there. At least it is a start and if we start generating some income from our endevors then we can look to the better cameras.

I had thought of suggesting the G5 which would save them even more but, although the camera does produce good images, there is a matter of perception. My feeling is that the Rebel 'looks' like a camera whereas the G5 looks like a 'brick'. Models and clients might have second thoughts if I were to show up with a brick in my hand than if I had, what they would perceive to be, a 'real' camera. If you are going to play the part of Glamour Photographer then you'd best look like one. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'll still put in a word for the 10D (ie. not limiting ourselves, etc.) but if push comes to shove I'd work with the Rebel. Better than being burdened with a Kodak Brownie! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Richard

PS...beautiful shot you included...like the lighting and toning.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RHWeiner Visit RHWeiner's homepage! Find More Posts by RHWeiner

10D
Old 01-15-2004, 05:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35623

bscott3125 is offline IP: 12.218.132.231

I bought the 10D shortly after it came out. I then bought the Rebel after it came out for a "backup" camera. I took the rebel back the next day. After shooting with them both I have to say the 10D is much more comfortable and has some features that the Rebel doesn't have. I will have to say though I'm not sure that the Rebel isn't a bad buy if you don't intend to use it everyday, but for me the 10D is the way to go. Just my two cents. Of course you need to do what you are comfortable with but I agree, save for the 10D.

-Brent
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bscott3125 Visit bscott3125's homepage! Find More Posts by bscott3125

Re: 10D
Old 01-15-2004, 06:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 216.232.154.75

It does come down to a matter of 'give/take'.

I just found out that we are renting the 10D for this weekend and the Digital Rebel for the weekend after that. While it would have be nicer to have both (and maybe the Nikon D1X (?) and the Fuji F2 Pro) in one session, I guess this will have to do for comparisons.

Unfortunately, the ones making the financial decisions are not photographers (to the extent I am) so they will be depending on me to determine if the DR will work for us...and of course, everyone here knows my preference already. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

But it's something to start from.

Old 01-15-2004, 07:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35360

Clint is offline IP: 65.145.37.83

[ QUOTE ]
At least it is a start and if we start generating some income from our endevors then we can look to the better cameras.

[/ QUOTE ]

the 500 bucks is well worth it....the one thing I have learned since I started trying to make a go at photography as an income is that if I have to sort of bubble gum something together to get the results I want, I am better off spending the little bit extra to get the equipment that will do the job correctly rather than fight with gear that won't on its own.

View Public Profile Send a private message to Clint Visit Clint's homepage! Find More Posts by Clint

Old 01-15-2004, 08:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

[ QUOTE ]
the 500 bucks is well worth it...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm, up here in Canada (Vancouver area of BC) the DR is $1400 (with lens) while the 10D is $2200 (body alone)...a difference of $800. I guess that translates out to $500US. Again, it becomes a matter of perception, this time dealing with money.

But finances aside, if the Rebel gets us going and starting to make some money then that's good. Besides, the camera would become a 'backup'.

(I guess what I'm trying to do here is to convince myself that any move to the Rebel would still be okay. My primary role is to use what is given to me...no matter what I think about the 'tool').

Old 01-15-2004, 09:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36016
Comments: 2
My Mood:

mhickey is offline IP: 66.68.44.15

Change of attitude.

WHEN THINGS IMPROVE AND WE ARE MAKINIG MONEY THEN WE WILL BUY THE EQUIPMENT TO TAKE US TO THE NEXT LEVEL.

There are many areas that need resources when first starting out. Do not wrap them all up in the "camera box". Spend wisely and firmly believe...

OUR NEXT PURCHASE WILL BE.....

Just my 3 cents (is that 2 cents Canadian)?

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mhickey Visit mhickey's homepage! Find More Posts by mhickey

Old 01-15-2004, 09:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35360

Clint is offline IP: 65.145.37.83

[ QUOTE ]
Besides, the camera would become a 'backup'.

[/ QUOTE ]

just another question for you because I didn't realize what all I would end up buying when I got my 10D.

What glass do you have now?....what is your digital darkroom situtation? Do you have a plan for a RAW workflow? if so what software will you use to convert the RAW files? what about storage? do you have adequate hard drive space? what is your budget for compact flash cards...how many you planning on getting to start out with?

now here is what happened to me....I bought the 10D and soon realized that my 'cheap' glass that had worked rather well shooting film just wasn't gonna cut the mustard...don't know why, but NOTHING looked like I envisioned when shot with my old glass.

At first I thought that the canon File Utility was great for converting RAW files....but then I realized that it was MUCH TOO limiting....ended up trying Capture One DSLR pro and eventually buying it.

Even with capture one I found my old pentium 3 lacking in performance when multitasking between C1 and Photoshop...so a new Dell was purchased. Plus a bigger monitor to help me edit my images.

I thought that one 1 gig card would work...until I fille that one up in short order....so now I have several 256 and 512 cards.

all together my 10D upgrade last year cost me about $3500 (us).

just some more food for thought....
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Clint Visit Clint's homepage! Find More Posts by Clint

Old 01-15-2004, 11:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

[ QUOTE ]
Just my 3 cents (is that 2 cents Canadian)?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the other way around...mind you with the Canadian dollar worth about 80cents US that should probably read..

"Just my 2 cents (CAD 2.5 cents)" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

But you are right about trying to manage the money considering there are other things to be bought. It's far too easy to get caught up in "...well, we need THIS and THAT and of course some of THOSE. Hey, what happened to our budget?...". [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]