Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Hot Light for Digital vrs Hot lights
Old 01-08-2004, 09:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member GG#: 36967
Comments: 0

dbutler is offline IP: 12.216.197.84

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I picked up a catalog on Photoflex and saw there hot light 3200 series. I called them and talked to there marketing dept. The fellow I talked to said he was a grad of Brooks. He said " he shot with hot light most of the time because he felt the results were easier to achieve without the subjects being subjected to flashes. He also said he felt it was easier to see the lighting for sets. I spoke to several people over the last couple of days and I am around 50 50 on pro and con. I have never shot with them so there are terms being used to discribe there concerns. One is the word HOT. do you want to watch your models hair droop, makeup run and wilt in front of your eyes. etc. I have strobs, do I invest in hot to get more consistancy. Calander, Set shooters, you have an opinion please share
  View Public Profile Find More Posts by dbutler

Re: Hot Light for Digital vrs Hot lights
Old 01-08-2004, 10:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36068
Comments: 1

StuHaluski is offline IP: 66.56.78.245

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hot lights went away for a reason. They are still around because they are cheap and they can provide another tool. Mixed lighting is one way of utilizing them in a major way.

So, it you have the money why not expand your horizons.

I'm a strobe shooter myself but I always keep possibilities in mind.

Stu
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StuHaluski Visit StuHaluski's homepage! Find More Posts by StuHaluski

Old 01-08-2004, 11:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 24.0.178.228

I used my 1k Lowel hot lights for years . . . until I discovered my first strobe. Now I use mixed lights with my D100 -- hot (with and without gels) for backgrounds and hair light, strobes for key and fill. Finally, I can turn off the air conditioner and save some money. Later this year, I may eliminate the hot lights totally . . . but cheap effective habits are damn hard to break.

Shot of Sandra below was taken after a very fast sunset. I used a Lowel 1k hot light to provide golden background fill and bounced my SB-80DX flash into a gold and silver umbrella to light the foreground and model.

View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Old 01-09-2004, 09:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 165.95.207.169

You can use both under the right situations, but normally, strobes are more comfortable for people, while hot lights are really best for product.

I still use hot lights for much of my product work, but mostly use strobes for people work.

Mixing lights can create nice warm toned effects, if done properly on people, or when you want to warm up some elements of a scene.

The types of lighting you use, is often a matter of tool selection, like everything else. I still use fiber-optic hot lights, for very small work, with small custom made modifiers, when soft light is needed.

Since I also do lighting for video, I can also share that video lighting is much different than still work. The ratios are much higher, and hot lights are necessary with video or motion picture work. Of course, you still have the usual color crossover problems, when mixing sources, and have to filter for them.

Another solution, is the flourescent light bank (Lowell or comparable), which gives you a continuous light source, but without the heat. There are daylight color correct lamps (as well as 3200 K) available for flourescent, as well.

Lighting is the most important element in photography, and having the knowledge to work intricately with lighting, is important for anyone doing pro level work. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Old 01-11-2004, 09:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 24.130.241.138

I far prefer strobes for all the previously mentioned reasons, mostly they are cooler on the set and don't make the models squint. But there are three other reasons as well. First, in a film world, your choices of 3200 degree film is limited. Most films are rated for daylight. Second, using hot lights requires a LOT of light to get your shutter speed/ f-stop combination to something you can hand-hold, and I hate tripods most of the time. Third, unless you are trying to achieve a certain effect, mixing real daylight sources with your artificial light (like using fill outdoors or with window backgrounds) is more difficult with hot lights because they have to be VERY bright (and hot) to match the intensity of the daylight, and they have to be color-balanced to daylight, or you have to gel the windows to 3200 degrees. There are specialty hot lights for daylight (HMIs) but I far prefer strobes unless I am going for an effect, like the one below. In this shot, Kelly McCarty (in her blonde days) is lit by strobe in a giant softbox (with a slight warming gel on the strobe) and hot lights on the background, causing it to go warm AND give me that nifty blurred-edge effect.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman