Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Best file format for long term archive and other scanning and storage quest
Old 12-19-2003, 10:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36037
Comments: 0

objektiv is offline IP: 68.83.1.83

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

What's the best format to use? tiff or Bit map? Which one would is more of a standard and which would be least likely to become obsolete?

Also is there any reason not to use the "pixel polish" and "auto dust brush" when scanning negatives and slides if it makes them look better (for those that have no clue what that is it's some kind of automated feature to make the color brighter and supposedly remove some dust)? It certainly makes the scans look better but I'm wondering if I ever want to pull one of these files up at some point in the future and really make it look perfect in photoshop if these automated features might be discarding information or doing something undesirable? I have no inclinatino to make custom adjustments for every file or every batch of negatives I'm scanning now - it would take forever.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to objektiv Visit objektiv's homepage! Find More Posts by objektiv

Re: Best file format for long term archive and other scanning and storage q
Old 12-19-2003, 11:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35832

Tom_Hamilton is offline IP: 66.167.138.29

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

TIFF is a bit map format. To retain the original quality you would want to save as a TIFF rather than a JPEG format which is subject to lose some information.

What is likely to become obsolete? Ask me in 10 or 20 years. Right now there are "modern" word programs that can not read files written by their predecessor versions 15-18 years ago. Digital pictures haven't been around long enough yet.

Tom
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Tom_Hamilton Find More Posts by Tom_Hamilton

Old 12-19-2003, 11:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36037

objektiv is offline IP: 68.83.1.83

Well I was talking about .tif or .bmp since thsoe are the options my scanner gives me
  View Public Profile Send a private message to objektiv Visit objektiv's homepage! Find More Posts by objektiv

Old 12-20-2003, 12:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35832

Tom_Hamilton is offline IP: 66.167.138.29

.bmp is a standard Windows bitmap image format on DOS and Windows-compatible computers. With this option you can choose to use Run-Length-Encoding (RLE) compression, this compression scheme is loseless.

TIFF (Tagged-Image File Format) is used to exchange files between applications and computer platforms. The TIFF format supports LZW compression, a loseless compression method.

I have had some bad experiences with compression programs and now stay away from them. Your mileage may vary.

TIFF is a more universal format, not only between operating systems, but between programs that you might want to import images into.

Tom
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Tom_Hamilton Find More Posts by Tom_Hamilton

Old 12-28-2003, 11:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 24.150.58.118

[ QUOTE ]
Also is there any reason not to use the "pixel polish" and "auto dust brush" when scanning negatives and slides if it makes them look better (for those that have no clue what that is it's some kind of automated feature to make the color brighter and supposedly remove some dust)? It certainly makes the scans look better but I'm wondering if I ever want to pull one of these files up at some point in the future and really make it look perfect in photoshop if these automated features might be discarding information or doing something undesirable?

[/ QUOTE ]

How the "dust brush" features work is basically by doing a prescan using infra-red light. Since the dyes in the film are transparent it IR, anything it "sees" is dust or some other imperfection, which it then compensates for when doing the color scan. It doesn't discard any information, just tries to make sure that it's only getting the information you want [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

One thing you have to watch out for tho is the type of film you're using may not be compatable with the dust cleaning method your scanner uses. The types it has trouble with "should" be listed in the manual, but chances are you'll notice the difference anyway.