Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamourô > Garage Glamourô Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Help using gobos with strobes
Old 12-16-2003, 07:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36366
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to sharfman

sharfman is offline IP: 67.72.98.110

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I am hoping the collective experience on the board can help me solve I lighting challenge I am facing. I have a new series in mind where I use the light patterns from a set of gobos to essentially paint with light on my models. I have some Rosco gobos with the patterns I want to use and made some holders for my Novatron heads. The problem is that at least with the modeling lamps, they are putting too much light through the gobo and the pattern is completely washed out. I assume the problem is that the modeling lamp (and presumably the flash head as well) are acting as spot lights rather than floods. I have tried taking the power down 2 stops plus putting gauze over the head and then putting the gobo on - all to no avail. The only thing that worked even modestly is putting the gobo on a 2 foot tube out in front of the head. I get some of the pattern that way but still not what I had in mind. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas.

regards

mark sharfman

View Public Profile Send a private message to sharfman Find More Posts by sharfman

Re: Help using gobos with strobes
Old 12-16-2003, 08:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36068
Comments: 1

StuHaluski is offline IP: 66.56.78.245

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

the problem is FOCUS, your gobos need to be focused, just like a slide needs to be focused when you project it so does your gobo.

you can use a small point light source to help but fresnel screen lights are what I believe the gobos are really designed for. Norman makes the tricolor light that can be used the same as a fresnel.

In other words you need a lens in front of the pattern.

hope this helps

Stu
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StuHaluski Visit StuHaluski's homepage! Find More Posts by StuHaluski

Old 12-16-2003, 11:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
treardon

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.13.80.42

Close - focus IS the problem, and you can make a pattern projector with some lenses and a tube (never tried but I've seen one somewhere).

FYI - Theatrical gobos like the roscoe patterns are made for a class of instrument called an ellipsoidal reflector spot. The reflector is in the shape of the end of an ellipse, with the lamp at one focal point and a gate with shutters and a gobo slot at the other focal point. Plano-convex lenses at the end of the barrel focus the gobo and control the softness of the beam edge.

The type of instrument known as a fresnel won't take a gobo. It uses a fresnel lens and gives a soft, diffused light that can be adjusted from spot to flood by moving the lamp/reflector assembly back and forth from the lens.

probaly more than you wanted to know - I'll shut up now

Old 12-17-2003, 12:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
erniee

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.155.68.128

DynaLite has an optical snoot that I believe will help solve your problem if you have $1200 to spare. I have been considering one of these to power through some of the washing issues that I have had with the setup below.

I use a 750w ETC Source 4 spot for back drops.

You have to be very careful with light spill onto the back ground or the forward lights will wash any effect that you are going for. A grid on a soft box and placement of the light sources to the side of the subject helps, but you still have to essentially shoot for the effect you are trying to accomplish with the projected image. I shot a quick example without the grids on the soft boxes.

Sorry about the model:

On the left is the setup pictured with strobes triggered to show wash pattern. On the right is the slightly over exposed me as a stand-in. In the middle is the same effect using the modeling lamps as hot lights and a VERY slow shutter speed 1/20th. I have some new 1000w hot lights that I havenít setup yet. Maybe if I get an attractive model in soon I can post an example.

The optical snoot is looking like a "cool" alternative to the hot light venture!

Old 12-17-2003, 09:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 165.95.207.169

Sounds as though you are attempting to use a "cookie" as a "projected pattern". It is not intended for that purpose.

To get a projected pattern, you need a pattern projector. You can use a slide projector for that (recognizing the color balance issue), or you can purchase a projector device, and use that to project a pattern.

Flash Clinic in NYC, used to make a projector with a hot lamp, which was affordable, that I successfully modified to use with a Balcar head. It allows me to project a variety of patterns onto a background, or a subject, with the variable control of the flash head.

However, a "gobo" means a go-between, or light modifier, of which a "cookie" or cookaloris, is a device with varying sizes and shapes of cutouts, that "break up" a light pattern into light and shadow, creating a "dappled light" effect, usually on a background area. It is not intended to provide a sharp defined pattern effect.

Hope that explains the difference. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-17-2003, 12:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35663

MoonRatt is offline IP: 198.161.33.146

However, a "gobo" means a go-between, or light modifier, of which a "cookie" or cookaloris, is a device with varying sizes and shapes of cutouts

Heh, except in any theatrical setting I ever worked in (about 10 years worth of time) gobo=cookie and was less likely to make any one hungry.

The actuall gobo would be called the gobo holder, and the insert, the gobo. *shrug* It confused me a bit when I heard photographers refering to a gobo as a cookie.

Different worlds I suppose.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to MoonRatt Visit MoonRatt's homepage! Find More Posts by MoonRatt

yup.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 165.95.207.169

Each discipline has theri own "jargon", and sometimes the meanings can be quite different for the same jargon. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

THANKS!!!
Old 12-17-2003, 05:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36366
Send a message via Yahoo to sharfman

sharfman is offline IP: 67.72.98.110

Thanks for all the ideas!! Now at least I understand why I am having the problem I am having and some options on how to get the look I want.

regards

Mark Sharfman

View Public Profile Send a private message to sharfman Find More Posts by sharfman