Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
\"DPI\"
Old 11-25-2003, 11:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35236
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to eselby Send a message via Yahoo to eselby

eselby is offline IP: 63.84.113.195

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Poor pitiful me...I have to research and recommend the purchase of a digital camera for my company's use. Since I am the resident photographic "expert" the use of said camera will fall to me for most purposes, but will also be used by untrained and un-expert field support folks who will take pictures of new properties.

The camera have to record images with a minimum of 300dpi, (that request is per the company that prepares our printed material), be fairly simple to use, allow for manual overrides of automatic settings when needed, and be rugged enough to withstand frequent international shipping.

I have narrowed my choices down to the Nikon Coolpix 5700 (5 megapixel ability) and a Fuji S2 Pro. What I need to know now is, can either of these two machines capture images that are 300 dpi?

Thanks!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eselby Visit eselby's homepage! Find More Posts by eselby

Re: \"DPI\"
Old 11-25-2003, 11:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35832

Tom_Hamilton is offline IP: 66.167.253.179

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

300 dpi comes from the fact that when printed the output to film or printing plates will be at a resolution of 300 dpi, or dots per inch. Roughly equivalent to the old standard of 150 line screen.

Either of the cameras are easily capable of generating a digital image that will meet those specifications. Well, I suppose that a really big printed piece might be a stretch for their resolution, but I doubt that is an issue here.

The actual image size when opened in a program like Photoshop will be something different than the 300 dpi specification. That is standard, the file is then resampled to the desired resolution and size. The camera setting will read more like "high quality", or better, to ensure you have the maximum resolution the camera is capable of. The end product will likely be down sampled from that when used for printing.

Tough job having to choose the camera. But heck, that's what you get the big bucks for. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Tom
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Tom_Hamilton Find More Posts by Tom_Hamilton

Old 11-25-2003, 12:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35663

MoonRatt is offline IP: 198.161.33.146

I could be really mistaken, but I doubt you'll find any non-medium format (and maybe not even then) digital that will shoot 300ppi (pixels per inch) out of the camera.

At it's highest resolution the Canon 10D for instance is dumping jpgs at 180 ppi.

Now if you use something like PS Ce or Capture one you can convert the raw files directly into a 300ppi image. Otherwise you just make sure you shoot at the camera's most detailed file size, depending on the camera it could potentially create a file that's like 180 ppi and would print out at say 16x24 (as an example,) if you go into PS you can then use the image size menu to resize the image (pixel wise) increase the ppi and keep the same print size. Or alter it to fit your output.

It's all kind of messy. It also gets worse when you throw in dpi which is dots per inch and in fact is a rating of how many ink dots the printer is putting out. Most (all? I'm not 100% sure) printers today don't read more than 300-330 ppi but can print to a substantially higher dpi.

The two cameras you've choosen get good reviews on DP Review (one of my favorite digital info sites) so I doubt you'll go wrong with either. You may want to make whom ever has to send the photos out, (unless it's you of course) aware that getting a 300ppi image is part of the post camera process.

Dave
  View Public Profile Send a private message to MoonRatt Visit MoonRatt's homepage! Find More Posts by MoonRatt

Old 11-25-2003, 12:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36266

IIsassi is offline IP: 24.167.37.169

I believe the question comes down to the final image size requirements.

I know that the Fuji S2 I had records at 72 dpi and at 6 mega pixel the image size is 42" x 28". Keep in mind that this camera is only a 6 mega pixel but interpolates up to 12.

My Nikon D100 on the other hand records at 300dpi and at 6 megapixel the image size is 10" x 6".

Hope this helps,
Israel
  View Public Profile Send a private message to IIsassi Find More Posts by IIsassi

READ THIS CORRECTION
Old 11-25-2003, 02:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36660

lsleelee is offline IP: 68.222.4.22

None of the responses so far have really hit the nail on the head.

DPI doesn't work like you think. Cameras record images at a certain pixel size. All DPI specifies is how spread out those pixels are when they're actually printed. For example, 300 DPI means 300 pixels per inch, so the 2560x1920 pixel image from the Coolpix 5700, if set to 300 DPI, would print at 8.533x6.4 inches (2560/300). Whether the image that comes out of the camera set to 72 DPI or 300 DPI is irrelevant as changing that number does not affect the image in any way, only how large the printer reproduces it.

A word of warning: In Photoshop on the Resize Image screen, if you have "resample image" turned on, changing the DPI will have an unintended effect. I'll attempt to explain.

Let's say I have a Coolpix 5700 image. 2960x1920 pixels. Lets say the file that comes out of the camera is set at 72 DPI (I don't actually know, but for the sake of this example...). That would mean print size for the image would be approx. 35x24 inches. Now, let's say you have "resample image" on. If you change the DPI to 300, it will keep the print size at 35x24 inches and up-sample the image to 10667x8000 pixels. You DO NOT want to do that, as such severe up-sampling will destroy image quality/detail/everything. If, on the other hand, you have "resample image" turned off and you change the DPI from 72 to 300, it will leave the pixel size alone and change print size to 8.533x6.4 inches. Again, making this change has not changed your image in ANY way, merely the way the printer reproduces it.

Your employer is right, however, in saying that all printed images must be at 300 DPI. Don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise because except for on Newsprint, even down to 200 DPI looks like crap. I hope I've made it clear however that all cameras are "capable" of producing 300 DPI images. How big those images are, however, is another matter. To determine whether a camera has enough resolution to meet your needs, divide the length of the sides (in pixels) by 300. The resulting numbers are the dimensions of the image in inches.

I'm not sure if any of that was easy to understand, feel free to email me at lsleelee@yahoo.com if have specific questions or if the entire thing was unclear.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsleelee Visit lsleelee's homepage! Find More Posts by lsleelee

Old 11-25-2003, 07:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35436

cclesue is offline IP: 67.161.244.238

several of the others have tried to explain the DPI delemma but I think you have a bigger problem as stated in your second paragraph: "be fairly simple to use, allow for manual overrides of automatic settings when needed, and be rugged enough to withstand frequent international shipping".
Neither of the cameras fit that description. Unless the user is familair with digital photography you will have to ship the manual and expect some phone time getting them up to speed. As for "frequent international shipping". . . I shiver to think about it. Frankly I'd send them a snap and shoot throw away 35mm and have them return a set of negatives you could scan. A decent scanner would cost less that an easily broken digital tossed around by Fed-UPS.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cclesue Visit cclesue's homepage! Find More Posts by cclesue

Old 11-25-2003, 07:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36369
Send a message via AIM to tommymc

tommymc is offline IP: 64.12.96.206

My Canon 10 D records 600 DPI in the Raw mode
  View Public Profile Send a private message to tommymc Visit tommymc's homepage! Find More Posts by tommymc

Old 11-25-2003, 09:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36068
Comments: 1

StuHaluski is offline IP: 66.56.78.245

I love my D-100. It gives me files that are 5x7 at 300 dpi in the jpeg mode.
But, frequent international shippings?? UGH! Easy to use, um no sorry its not. I'm still referring to my manual. You need to keep looking or clarify your parameters to us. It might be cheaper for your company to buy a camera for the international users9and keep it over there) as you are going to pay for insurance, repair fees as well as the cost of shipping. I can see $2000 being hit fairly soon when you add in the time it takes to prepare for shipping and the cost of the shipping crate/container as well. As far as what camera, how about the new Olympus?

Stu
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StuHaluski Visit StuHaluski's homepage! Find More Posts by StuHaluski

Old 11-25-2003, 09:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 216.249.69.160

It would probably be cheaper to hire a local professional photographer than to ship a digital camera round trip internationally and insure it. Or like someone said below, just pass out throw-away cameras. People already know how to use them, the film can be processed anywhere, and then sent back to HQ for scanning. New technology isn't always the answer.