Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Couple of question on photoflex softboxes and reflectors...
Old 10-19-2003, 11:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36037
Comments: 0

objektiv is offline IP: 68.83.1.83

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

First for those that own the mutlidome softbox, is it normal for it to look like there are a bunch of pin holes in it? I doubt this effects the way it functions but for a peice of plastic and fabric that costs $250 I'm just wondering if they usually have what looks like pin holes all over but particularly near the seams.

Also I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the speed ring I have, the heavier part of the speed ring which appears to be cast aluminum that the rods of the soft box actually fits into rotates very freely around the aluminum center ring that actually attaches to the light. This is convenient if you want to rotate the softbox from a verticle to a horizonatal position but it rotates so freely that I'm wondering if it's even supposed to be that way. Most of the time my softbox won't even stay upright, it just rotates itself into a position that's sort of half verticle half horizontal. I tried tightening downt he bolts that hold hte two peices together but it still seems to rotate realatively freely.

Last but not least wonderinf anyone has teh photoflex reflector and stand kit? If so what is the quality of the stand? I've been looking for just a holder that will attach to one of the stands I already have (I have enough) but I can only find it sold as a kit of reflector, stand, and holder. Is this stand usuable for a light or anything else or is it a realatively flimsy stand? Thanks.

View Public Profile Send a private message to objektiv Visit objektiv's homepage! Find More Posts by objektiv

Re: Couple of question on photoflex softboxes and reflectors...
Old 10-19-2003, 09:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 209.179.228.9

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I own the Photoflex Multidome and have the same problems that you just discussed. It weighs fairly heavy when I attached it to my Dynalite kit. It does rotate quite freely, but by moving it into position and using a Dynalite IRT transmiter, it doesn't cause me too many problems. I also do have a Photoflex 42in reflector and the reflector holder. I recently tried attaching the 42inch reflector, using the holder, to a tripod that I own. What a disaster, I found out that I had better luck using using some ducktape and PVC pipe from a local hardware store and attaching that to my tripod. I should have gone with Larson like Roland recommended at his LA workshop. Just my 2 cents, for whatever it's worth. Goodluck, where in the same boat, Vince van der Hoeven Photography

Old 10-19-2003, 10:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35662

RWJensen is offline IP: 68.4.252.42

Or you can try Chimera's excellent softboxes, which I use. I don't own one but I hear good things about the Calumet line of softboxes also. If you have the $$$ Plume is another top brand. It's usually cheaper in the long run to buy quality.

My two cents

Robert Jensen
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RWJensen Find More Posts by RWJensen

Old 10-20-2003, 08:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36366
Send a message via Yahoo to sharfman

sharfman is offline IP: 66.210.170.241

I also own Photflex softboxes and do not have a pin-hole problem. This is not normal. How new are the boxes? If this is a problem with new or relatively new equipment I would contact the company. I have had good luck with their customer service. I had a speed ring break and they replaced it immediately.

As for the rotation, I don't have the problem at all - even with my extra large box. I am using Novatrons and the speed ring clamps down quite tightly. Again, I would contact the company and report the problem to see what they say.

Finally, the holder for the reflector is a pain but does work. With 42 inch reflectors, however, I have to brace the standard lightstand as it will fall over otherwise. I suspect that if I used my heavy lightstand it would be fine.

The shot below was done with my Photoflexs.

Hope this helps.

regards

mark sharfman

View Public Profile Send a private message to sharfman Find More Posts by sharfman

Old 10-20-2003, 09:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35855

roninsps is offline IP: 68.84.226.5

Brian:

pinholes everywhere are not normal. I do not have a free rotation problem, but that is an easy fix. I have the reflector kit and it works fine. The stand is relatively nice and comes with casters. I would recommend the kit if money is no object. It is nicer than the black stand I gave you.

-Steven Choi
  View Public Profile Send a private message to roninsps Visit roninsps's homepage! Find More Posts by roninsps

Old 10-20-2003, 11:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

objektiv is offline IP: 129.25.18.170

It's a brand new Q39 multidome, just got it. I will give them a call, I didn't think it was right either. It's only on the outter portion of the softbox you can't tell if you're using the silver or gold foil inserts.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to objektiv Visit objektiv's homepage! Find More Posts by objektiv

Old 10-20-2003, 11:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

objektiv is offline IP: 129.25.18.170

You mean the black stand you sold me?

What is the fix for the free rotation?

Old 10-20-2003, 12:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35330
Send a message via ICQ to John_Chennavasin Send a message via Yahoo to John_Chennavasin

John_Chennavasin is offline IP: 216.249.77.195

Calumet currently has a 50% off sale on their low-profile softboxes. These appear to be a knock-off of the Plume Wafers.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to John_Chennavasin Visit John_Chennavasin's homepage! Find More Posts by John_Chennavasin

Old 10-20-2003, 12:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35662

RWJensen is offline IP: 68.4.252.42

From what I've heard they are not just a nock-off but were designed by the same guy who designed the Plume.

Not sure if this is still true but you will need to buy their speedrings because the rods are too big to fit in other brand rings.

Robert Jensen

View Public Profile Send a private message to RWJensen Find More Posts by RWJensen

Old 10-20-2003, 03:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35330
Send a message via ICQ to John_Chennavasin Send a message via Yahoo to John_Chennavasin

John_Chennavasin is offline IP: 216.249.77.195

You're right about that. The Red Wing softbox I bought from Calumet said it was made under the supervision of Gary Regester.

Yes, I had to purchase their speedrings as well (the ones shown on Plume's site looks similar though).

I'll need to hit the gym in order to bend the poles to make 'em fit in the speeding [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to John_Chennavasin Visit John_Chennavasin's homepage! Find More Posts by John_Chennavasin