Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Naming conventions and File Systems
Old 10-07-2003, 06:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35859
Comments: 0

DWilson is offline IP: 216.123.231.222

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'm just curious. I'm trying to create a decent filing system for my images. I had bee nusing a method I devised a while back but I'm wondering if maybe there is something better. My current method is as such;

CategoryName_FileNumber_SubjectTitle_PhotographerI nitialsCameraMake.fileExtension

So then an example would be,

Landscape_00052_MountainsAndLake_dwe10.jpg

To indicate that it's a landscape photo #52 of a Mountain and Lake shot by Dave Wilson with an E10...

Can anyone suggest a better method? Can anyone see where my current system might fall apart?

I currently use 11 categories for my stock photos but have no solid system for catalogueing my glamour photos or photos done for clients.

What do you guys do? How do you stay organized? Any thoughts, recommendations or insights in this area would be most welcome.

Cheers.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DWilson Visit DWilson's homepage! Find More Posts by DWilson

Re: Naming conventions and File Systems
Old 10-07-2003, 06:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Angelus

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.209.116.52

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I wrote a VB app a while back which manages my images in a database. The images are referenced by file location (not included in the database itself), but also has a configurable amount of fields. The fields hold date, shoot name, selection criteria, etc. Essentially a home grown Digital Asset manager.

However... from what I hear, the new version of Adobe Photoshop, CS, has enhanced it's file browser to include **** data. That should give you a way to tag groups of images and do **** keyword searching.

So, in short, my original files are whatever the camera spits out to me (using continuous numbering) and working copies are suffixed revved. Then, for deployment to the web, I run my seleciotns through a generator that tags as 'published' and makes the subset of images sequentially numbered and prefixed named for viewers convenience of filename sorting. File browser can be made to simulate the filenumbering if you copy or cut your selections to a new folder and run the batch rename over it.

The above methods work, just don't move your files around wihtout knowing the consequences on the DA Manager, else you risk breaking the link (as is in my case). Not sure if Adobe File Browser includes it in the image header itself - I doubt it - it would be too slow. High end products can kep everything in synch using a digital asset library alongside the manager.

A commercial product comes to mind: Extensis Portfolio. Never used it since I wrote what I need, but from the decriptions it'll keep you organized wihtout having to rely on filenames.

Your on the track to a digital workflow. Numerous benefits especially when you achieve a point where you'd like to delegate tasks out and still approve steps like Rights Management, Editing, Capture....

Old 10-07-2003, 07:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Angelus

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.209.116.52

Screen shot of my Digital Asset Manager (window sized small, not full screen to fit better within this message):

Right now it's managing 52,546 images, search takes about 1 second on any field(s). If I point it at an Enterprise database it could magaing into the millions.... theoretically - haven't shot that many photos yet [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-07-2003, 08:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 67.82.32.217

Have Extensis Portfolio...and it seems to be handling everything well but does require a serious reading of the manual to get it....

Rick

Old 10-08-2003, 12:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35859
Comments: 0

DWilson is offline IP: 216.123.231.222

Thanks for the ideas but I'm kind of looking for something that doesn't require special software. What if I decide down the road that the new Adobe Photoshop 16 has EXACTLY what I've wanted and didn't even know I wanted it? I'm trying to do it a software independent way...in a way where software can only enhance the functionality but isn't required.

I hope that makes sense.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DWilson Visit DWilson's homepage! Find More Posts by DWilson