Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Does heat damage digital?
Old 10-06-2003, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977
Comments: 0

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 24.130.241.138

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

An odd question perhaps, but it came up today in a conversation. Can you cause any damage to a digital camera or media, by leaving it in a hot car for example? I wouldn't go out of my way to do it, but I'm not sure if its something I need to worry about. Also, while I'm on the subject, what about humidity? Here in LA its not so bad, but what about you guys who live in FL or TX or those humid mid-west lake regions?

Thanks
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Re: Does heat damage digital?
Old 10-06-2003, 06:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35204

dksun is offline IP: 67.84.125.158

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

No personal experience (yet), but I would imagine extremely high temperatures would not be good for any kind of electronic equipment including digital cameras. Plastics may warp and any kind of adhesives used may soften or melt.

Also, I believe the camera's sensor will generate more background noise as it heats up...something we all want to minimize.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dksun Visit dksun's homepage! Find More Posts by dksun

Old 10-06-2003, 08:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
GG_Staff

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 67.85.65.104

Any, the resistance to heat and cold of your media is depedant upon the type of media. Compact Flash has a much higher and lower tolerance than Microdrives. I believe the microdrive has a range of teens to 120 or so. Your car can definitely hit that in the summer months I'm sure. Compact Flash goes from sub zero to 160 (don't quote me on the numbers) Also, the microdrive is more susceptable to humidity than the compact flashes are.

Old 10-06-2003, 09:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Member GG#: 36999

David_Markarian is offline IP: 216.69.224.66

Hi Andy,

I was told by Canon that extreme heat will damage the camera possibly. I asked because I live in Palm Springs Ca.

If you leave the camera in the car here it could get over 160 degrees inside the car in the summer.

I am not taking the chance with my 1Ds

DJM
  View Public Profile Send a private message to David_Markarian Visit David_Markarian's homepage! Find More Posts by David_Markarian

Viewpoint from an Electronics Engineer....
Old 10-06-2003, 11:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
RichSchmidt

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 152.163.253.33

Andy,

Electrical components are rated on their ability to perform over time as they're exposed to temperature variants...from hot to cold. This also applies to its "working environment".

Electrical components in digital cameras are no exception. The sensing technologies that meter light, the flash regulating circuitry, and ultimately...the image sensor, are all susceptible to performance degradation by being exposed to excessive temperatures...hot or cold.

Knowing what I know about electronics and having spent the last 12+ years of my life testing and designing these types of circuits, I practice a conscience method of letting my camera have some "off time" during a shoot day...either outside shooting swimwear catalog or in a hot studio. It seems anal to some onlookers...but I'd rather play it safe rather than have to keep re-investing $$$ in replacement equipment.

~Rich~

My House

no problems yet but i...
Old 10-07-2003, 05:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35795

orlphoto is offline IP: 65.33.238.194

lay a towel over my canon equip if I am out in the sun a long time...and i never leave it in the car or trunk during the day....gets tooo hot too quick here...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to orlphoto Visit orlphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by orlphoto

Re: Viewpoint from an Electronics Engineer....
Old 10-07-2003, 08:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35679
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Soujrnr Send a message via Yahoo to Soujrnr

Soujrnr is offline IP: 64.223.234.184

Just want to say I agree 100% with your assessment. I'm an electrical field engineer for Lockheed Martin in my "regular" job and I think that a lot of problems would (could) be caused by the different temperature coefficients of the metals inside the camera circuitry. That is actually true of any camera with modern electronics. Yes, quality assurance standards are good with this stuff but even the space shuttle technology has limitations. It behooves everyone to err on the side of caution lest they foul up their system, film or digital, and then proceed to convulse into a raging string of vituperous utterations that would not be suitable for all listeners within earshot! It in doubt, cover it or take it with you to cooler environs.

Good day sir!

Mike

BTW Rich, gorgeous model and a nice shot! You won't find too many ladies like that this time of year here in Maine. It was 28 degrees last night at midnight when I was out and about. A bit nipply to be sure. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Old 10-07-2003, 01:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Angelus

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 206.229.108.133

Here's my experience over the last 2 years with the digitals:

Heat - biggest problem will be it's effect on batteries showing a false-high with a accellerated dropoff of charge (just like leaving your cell phone in a glove compartment on a hot summer day). It also decreases the life of the battery, but not like cold - cold kills batteries. Secondarily going heat to cold or vice versa will cause condensation, which brings me to my pet peeve problem of...

Humidity - I have had 'humidity' marks on the LCDs of my S1 and D100 - looks like round dust marks. It's just dust you say... not when the marks increase in higher humidity (80%+) and decrease and sometimes disappear in drier times (especially winter). Been saving those silica(sp?) packets to someday try a camera dry-out. Hmmm, maybe I ought to try crackers [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

As to operating the camera in high heat - there's been prior cautions of it causing more noise in the image - I haven't seen that yet, but I don't disagree.

And the number #1 problem I have with heat. Makes me sweat!!! into the back of my S1, which coincidentally just came back from Fuji service center today after a $570 repair bill due to shorting out nearly every back panel button. I now wear a bandana with my S2 and D100 in high heat/humidity - no probs so far....

Old 10-07-2003, 03:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 165.95.207.169

Excessive heat sure could. Just as it could damage the viewing components of some film cameras.

Leaving a camera of any kind, in an enclosed car, in a hot climate, is just asking for trouble.

I always have a cooler, here in Texas, for both film and sensitive equipment.

Also pay attention to how long sun's rays beat down and/or enter a lens.

Humidity is also a problem, especially with electronics and with film.

However, exercising reasonable care has always been adequate to avoid problems. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-07-2003, 03:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36037

objektiv is offline IP: 68.83.1.83

I'm surprised noone mentioned it but I think the LCD would probably be the most susceptable component to heat. From what I know anything above 120F can possibly ruin an LCD screen.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to objektiv Visit objektiv's homepage! Find More Posts by objektiv