Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamourô > Garage Glamourô Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
It is slow...
Old 09-17-2003, 11:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35360
Comments: 0

Clint is offline IP: 65.148.9.12

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

it is slow down on the member forum, so I wil put this rant here..also I feel that it is a tech rant too.

WHY is it that every yahoo with a digital slr is now Professional? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

I shoot TV everyday and still at least 3 times a week to put food on my table.

There is nothing that angers me more than when some yahoo who can afford a 10D outbids me for a job (by doing it for free) and then produces cr@ppy results. Thus making it harder for me to even use my Digital equipment because these idiots are flooding the market with horrible images.

Now prospective clients ask, "do you shoot digital, because if you do I am going somewhere else." Now I have a DSLR that is a paperwieght because there is a couple of guys in my area that are flooding the market with blurry blown highlighted prints from consumer grade inkjets.

and then they have the nerve to put on the "websites" that they are "The Best Digital Photography Service" in our area!

Now I have to do the old, film print vs digital print test on almost every potential client.

oh I am mad! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Clint Visit Clint's homepage! Find More Posts by Clint

Re: It is slow...
Old 09-18-2003, 12:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35467

huvola is offline IP: 12.210.165.128

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Just like every yutz who gets his hands on a pirate version of Photoshop and Quark Xpress is suddenly a professional "graphic artist" even though they churn out crap that looks like a second grader came up with it.

I feel your pain.

On the flip side...

I do regular work for a client who manufactures aftermarket auto seats. Whenever a new style comes out, of course it will need to be photographed. My client was paying upwards of $200.00 per shot to his former photographer.

I now shoot his seats. Hes much happier with my pricing, (I dont give it away, but I dont bend him over either) and frankly, he likes the way I shoot the seats better. But in the strictest sense, I took work away from a "Pro" and I am just an amature with a digital SLR.

Those of us in the graphic arts profesion saw the same thing when desktop scanners exploded on the scene. All of a sudden nobody was willing to pay for a good quality scan of an image anymore, because they could do it themselves, although 9 out of 10 times the result looks like hell. Then again, I work with a guy who has no problem charging 120.00 for a color 8x10 scan. Granted, he does great work, but can you imagine how much a calendar would cost to print just in scanning charges?

I dunno...

View Public Profile Send a private message to huvola Find More Posts by huvola

Old 09-18-2003, 12:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36900

HendrikG is offline IP: 213.84.76.212

You have quality to show, the bad amateurs only have blurry images. People can recognize quality, thatís why I always tell them Iím NO professional, and I cannot guarantee quality. I shoot for free, until I can guarantee quality.

In my area I know I can make better images then some professionals, but that tells something about them, not me! If you are really getting angered by the amateur community, than the future will get rough. Digital DSLRís are getting better and better. Within a few years, they can buy better cameras for a small amount of money than the medium format film cameras today.

The professional is forced to deliver quality. Many professionals produce bad quality for large sums of money. I think that is much more damaging for your market than the amateur.

Regards,

Hendrik
  View Public Profile Send a private message to HendrikG Visit HendrikG's homepage! Find More Posts by HendrikG

Old 09-18-2003, 04:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 165.95.207.169

Remember that post about photographers "retiring"?

You remember, I replied "You expected something different?"

Need I say more? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Old 09-18-2003, 05:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Member GG#: 35280
Send a message via AIM to JaysonFromMaine Send a message via Yahoo to JaysonFromMaine

JaysonFromMaine is offline IP: 24.128.68.39

I know a few people up here who ..went with talented amatures for there weddings because thay could not afford the 1000$+ minimum costs the the pros want.. one of the portrait pros is chargeing $500 up front now per hour session and wont let people take the proofs home..thay have to decide in the office...so thay can't scan and print there own copys...

Digital can be great...but also not so nice... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JaysonFromMaine Visit JaysonFromMaine's homepage! Find More Posts by JaysonFromMaine

Old 09-20-2003, 01:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 216.69.224.139

Hi Clint,

I was on a recent shoot with another photographer friend Andrew Yeadon for the British Broadcasting Company.

For last months issue of Top Gear Magazine.

And one of the questions the BBC had was do you use the new Canon EOS -1Ds 11 megapixal camera?

Andrew did not he was using a 35mm. The BBC said that they were taking 35mm film or digital from the Canon EOS -1Ds at this time. They said the Canon EOS -1Ds was the only digital they would except at this time.

Andrew was using a Nikon 35mm and a older Nikon digital. I think the BBC will take the new Nikon that's coming out soon too.

We did some tests at my studio and found the D1s was as good as the Hasselblad medium format camera we used in the test. We scanned the Hasselblad's medium format film on a top of the line drum scanner.

I think it sucks when people take away business from local pro's especially when they don't do a good job. The Canon does cost 7,500.00 to 8,000.00. A bit more than a 10D so its not for everyone. I use all formats still but I do like the D1s quality.

I live in the Palm Springs area and there is one wedding photographer here that charges top dollar and he cant get a good photo with a 35mm. And he also claims to be one of the best not just digital but one of the best photographers in general.

After seeing one of his 35mm photos another friend of mine said someone should tell him the flash goes on top of the camera not on the bottom. His lighting was all way off.

Its really up to the customer to check out the photographers in there area first.

Sorry to hear that some of the customers in your area are not that smart. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Some customers are not sure what a good photo looks like. As hard to believe as that is. Unlike the BBC which is very particular about what they print.

Just keep educating the people you come into contact with. Hopefully they will listen to you.

Andrew's site is cool [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] if you like cars and great photography . web page CarPix

David

Old 09-20-2003, 01:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 216.69.224.139

BTW Clint,

Very nice photo on your web site [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

web page Clints Site

HA..somebody actually looked at it!
Old 09-20-2003, 10:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35360

Clint is offline IP: 65.145.37.53

my website is a joke! lol!

the only reason I have it up is to host images.

God I hope you didn't look at those crappy wedding photos I just did. They were a quick...hey we are getting married tomorrow can you shoot it for us type shoot.

thanks for the compliment though
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Clint Visit Clint's homepage! Find More Posts by Clint

Re: HA..somebody actually looked at it!
Old 09-21-2003, 03:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 216.69.224.69

Hey Clint,

Your doing better than me.

I don't have the time to build a web site rite now. I have a friend doing one for me. And some of the models I have shot. I have few sites to do and I am last on the list of course.

I like the dog photo on this page.

http://www.tinker-photo.com/Editoria...olio/index.htm

On the dog photo you have a broken link on image 5.htm

/ img1117.jpg / It does want to enlarge.

http://www.tinker-photo.com/Editoria...ges/image5.htm

The sports shots are cool.

On the wedding photos. You should see the guy here in Palm Springs. I wouldn't worry.

DJM