Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
More Photoshop Assistance PLEASE!!!!
Old 09-08-2003, 04:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
RichSchmidt

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 152.163.253.33

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Ok,

Admittedly, I am NOT a PS guru or even an educated user. So I'm counting on the GG community of experts to help me out here....

Could someone tell me how in the bloody hell do you use the "Liquid" tool in Photoshop???? I've seen some folks post some great lookin' stuff, i.e. models with absolutely "flawless" looking skin.

Are there certain settings/techniques that are best? What's the best way to edit an image with "Liquid"??

~Rich~

Below image is Elizabeth Jean from Florida from last November's Ego Swimwear shoot in Daytona. Aside from re-sizing the image and adding a touch of sharpness, no liguid or post processing was done (her skin was, in fact, "perfect!). [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

My House

Re: More Photoshop Assistance PLEASE!!!!
Old 09-08-2003, 07:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35859
Comments: 0

DWilson is offline IP: 198.161.58.234

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Rich, I have never heard of anyone using Liquify to work on someone's skin. The Liquify tool is an image distortion tool. If there's a way to use it to retouch photos, I haven't heard of it (which is NOT the same as saying that it's not possible.)

There are VERY few things I ever do to someones skin.

1) I use the healing brush or rubber stamp tool to remove such things as scars, zits, scratches, blackheads and anything else a person wasn't born with or which isn't a prominent feature of their character such as beauty spots.

2) If there is an extreme discoloration from one spot to the next, I will work to balance this out.

3) On a seperate layer I often apply a gaussien blur and then use a layer filter to re-apply that upper layer to the lower layer. This is how I achieve the soft-focus look of many of my shots.

Other than that I do no other changes to skin and I NEVER use the blur tool on skin. You want your models to stay human, not become plastic.

I hope that answers some questions.

Cheers
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DWilson Visit DWilson's homepage! Find More Posts by DWilson

Re: Using the Liquify Filter on your Image
Old 09-08-2003, 09:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35829

hlmphotog is offline IP: 205.188.209.75

Hi, Hugh from San Antonio. The liquify filter is useful in this type of photography for doing minor body shifting. Your model is obviously a body builder and needs no help at all, but to demonstrate how the filter is used, I pulled in her right waist line, reduced her upper right arm and reduced her inner right upper leg. This filter needs to be used slowly and patiently with frequent resets, or it becomes ugly and very noticable...good luck, Hugh

View Public Profile Send a private message to hlmphotog Visit hlmphotog's homepage! Find More Posts by hlmphotog

Re: More Photoshop Assistance PLEASE!!!!
Old 09-08-2003, 09:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35853

nltrapani is offline IP: 67.3.171.249

Rich,

The only useful tool in liquify is the pucker tool for making the minor adjustments that Hugh discussed, other than that I would not use it much.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to nltrapani Visit nltrapani's homepage! Find More Posts by nltrapani

Re: Using the Liquify Filter on your Image
Old 09-08-2003, 09:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

See for me, those are the types of uses that Photoshop should NOT be used for. You have made her into someone she is not. These are not the same sort of adjustments that could be done with makeup and lightingor a well chosen lens filter. I'm trying to think of a time when I might do such a thing in my own work and honestly, aside from a few weeks ago playing around with changing the sky in a shot, I don't think I have ever had a situation where I wanted to change the model that much.

Now, if (read in very large letters, IF) I were shooting for a magazine and these were changes that they wanted to have made, I would make them. But for my own stuff, not a chance UNLESS I am doing something to the environment; such as changing the sky to something more suitable or dramatic, removing a distracting element such as a lamp post or scrap of garbage I missed while shooting or that blew into frame with the wind or removing a fat kid on a swing next to my model (something I did just last week). But as a general rule, I never muck with my models.

Cheers...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DWilson Visit DWilson's homepage! Find More Posts by DWilson

Re: Dwilson\'s reply...oh my
Old 09-08-2003, 09:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35829

hlmphotog is offline IP: 205.188.209.75

Dude...he wanted to know what the tool was for...not the philosophy of it. It seems you are more into photojournalism, than creating an image. The world needs that for sure, but not to the exclusion of every thing else. Chill a bit, you don't need everyone else to sign on with you to have validity! Later, Hugh

Yet another fake shot from McWilliams...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to hlmphotog Visit hlmphotog's homepage! Find More Posts by hlmphotog

Re: Dwilson\'s reply...oh my
Old 09-08-2003, 09:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Did I come across a bit rough? If so I apologize, I was simply stating my thoughts on the subject. I have never actually thought of using the Liquify tool the way you have demonstrated and my initial response was to try and disway the potential for creating plastic people. I'm all for image creation. I truly WISH I could create some of the imagery that exists out there that simply cannot be captured when the button is pushed but instead must be molded and finessed into a complete work of art at the hands of the artist.

Anyway, I understand your point as well and again, I apologize if I came across too rough or deep or something. I really was just babbling away.

Cheers!