Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Filters and digital cameras
Old 09-07-2003, 07:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35679
Comments: 0
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Soujrnr Send a message via Yahoo to Soujrnr

Soujrnr is offline IP: 64.223.209.94

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi gang,

I was driving to my National Guard station yesterday and saw a beautiful scene of fog cascading over some hills and immediately started thinking about how I deal with atmospheric haze as well as blue casting from shooting in open shade and then it dawned on me that as I prepare to get the D100 or S2 that I need to find out if the filters I use for warmer skin tones in open shade (like the 812 or 81B warming filters) with my F100 or other filters for other effects are needed for shooting with a professional digital camera. My first thought is that it's best to get the image corrected as much as possible before it's recorded digitally. Am I mistaken here? I know a lot can be done in Photoshop but if I can compensate for a blue cast with a filter, wouldn't it be best to do so? On the other hand, is this just a simple matter of playing with the white balance to deal with the blueness often found in the shade? Your thoughts?

Thanks all!

Good day!

Mike

Just another weekend at the beach!!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Re: Filters and digital cameras
Old 09-07-2003, 10:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35662

RWJensen is offline IP: 68.4.252.42

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

You are absolutely correct!!!

Robert Jensen
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RWJensen Find More Posts by RWJensen

Old 09-08-2003, 09:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35714

edrem3 is offline IP: 67.83.185.79

You got it Mike, it's just a matter of playing with the white balance. Or you could do as I did and purchase some warm cards (look under the "gear" section on the GG main page)they're easily worth the few buck I paid for em'

View Public Profile Send a private message to edrem3 Visit edrem3's homepage! Find More Posts by edrem3

Old 09-08-2003, 11:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

White balance can only do so much. According to Thom Hogan, who's written many a book on the subject, use filters to get the best results.

Robert Jensen
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RWJensen Find More Posts by RWJensen

Old 09-08-2003, 01:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sorry Rw...here's a couple quotes from Thom Hogans website http://www.bythom.com/filters.htm

First he says...

"unless you know what your film/CCD is set to record and the current color temperature of the light you're shooting under, you cannot possibly know what filter to add to your lens to get the exact warming effect you want."

He goes on later to say...

"In digital with a camera that has decent white balance adjustment abilities (D100, D1 series are examples), I'll make a blanket proclamation: there is no reason to use a warming filter; learn how to use white balance properly instead."

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] hmmm...I think I'll stick with my original answer

View Public Profile Send a private message to edrem3 Visit edrem3's homepage! Find More Posts by edrem3

Old 09-08-2003, 06:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

I've been reading Thom's posts over on the DPReview forums for over two years now and he's rather famous for changing his mind on statements like that after further research. What he now says since he first put up that article is that using a filter is better in some regards (less noise) but you don't get anything for free, adding a filter will reduce contrast a small amount, at least if you are using a high quality filter. Shifting color balance in camera will increase certain channels, Red and Blue say and you could then be stuck with overloading those photosites. The less work done in camera the better.

I suppose to put this question to rest someone could go over to DPReview and ask Thom the poster's original question and see what reply they'll get.

Robert

Old 09-08-2003, 09:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

I guess I'm gonna have to ask him why you wouldn't change the white balance versus a warm filter. You obviously have to change it when shooting in daylight or under Flash, flourecent or tungsten lights. So if you have to change it to (for arguments sake) say 3600k why not use say 4100k instead of putting a warm filter on. It's easier and won't degrade the picture like he tells us that filters do. afterall, it says so right on his website [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Actually, I'm not gonna ask him, he seems to unreliable of a source. I'll stick with the Digital Guru's of GG . They haven't steered me wrong yet. Maybe I should send him this link. It tells quite a bunch about white balancing and has helped me a bunch.

http://www.warmcards.com/wb101.html

Thanks Ed and Robert!
Old 09-08-2003, 09:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Soujrnr is offline IP: 64.223.208.93

The input from the two of you has given me some food for thought. I think what I'll have to do is first learn about how to adjust the white balance and then do some comparison shooting to see which works best. My initial inclination is to do all that I can for the image prior to it reaching the "film plane" (or CCD as the case may be). I don't know what kind of time frame I'd be dealing with if I had to meter a scene and play with the white balance every time I changed lighting. It may be no more time than I'd take putting on a filter but that remains to be seen. I'll play it by ear and see what happens after I get my camera. Now the decision to get a D100 or an S2 is next. Jeez, does it ever end? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Take care and thanks again.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Re: Thanks Ed and Robert!
Old 09-08-2003, 09:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

No problem Mike, have fun practicing. Good luck with the camera purchase. I'd give you some advice on which one to buy, but I used my last 2 cents on the filter question [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

$89 Billion!!
Old 09-10-2003, 03:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Soujrnr is offline IP: 64.222.227.78

Well, you can kiss your .02 cents for future contributions good-bye too if our Federal ATM (a.k.a. Congress) approves the $89 Billion dollar "rebuilding" package for Iraq. When the $%*& are they going to start taking care of us Americans and stop rebuilding the entire phuking world while our country goes to s**t?

Sorry for the brief loss of control there. It just comes to mind that the opposite of PROgress is CONGRESS.

Good day!

Mike