Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Nikon D100 vs. Fuji S2 - Question for users.......
Old 09-07-2003, 04:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
RichSchmidt

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 64.12.96.9

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey Gang,

Ok, I'm closing in on drastically upgrading my digital camera assets and have narrowed my selection down to two candidates: 1) The Nikon D100, and 2) The Fuji S2.

Both are very strong cameras and each have very distinctive features that separate themselves from one another, so it's not simply a question of "brand name" purchasing.

I would like to canvass opinions from the professional masses out there that use (or have used) one or both of these cameras. What can you tell me about YOUR camera selection that made your decision a good one.

~Rich~

My House

Re: Nikon D100 vs. Fuji S2 - Question for users.......
Old 09-07-2003, 05:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36657
Comments: 0

That_Look_Photography is offline IP: 68.200.97.99

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I use the D100 and like it alot. But before I bought the camera I looked at tons of reviews and saw some beautiful shots that were taken with the D100. I also saw some great stuff taken with the S2. I had to go with the name ( Nikon ) in the end. Then after talking with a few people that own the D100 they all say the same thing. Don't let the camera do any of the image processing in the camera. Do it with software. I think they were right about that. If I knew that before I bought the camera I think I would have gone with the S2. But I still love the camera.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photography Visit That_Look_Photography's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photography

Old 09-07-2003, 07:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35662

RWJensen is offline IP: 68.4.252.42

I would have to disagree, almost every pro I know lets the camera do at least some processing of the images. I just wouldn't set the sharpening to high. Normal works great.

If I was going for the NTH degree of image quality then I'd shoot RAW and spend hours in front of the computer working with the image.

BTW, I had a deposit on one of the first S2's but when I saw the crappy color results people were getting at the time I opted for the D100. It took awhile for folks to figure out how to get the best color out of the S2's and now what I see is very, very good but I still like the skin tones out of the D100 better. It's a matter of personal taste. (too often the Caucasian skin tones still look too coral colored with the Fuji for my taste.) (Granted, the Nikon skin tones can come out too orange sometimes) (My old Canon had trouble with reds coming out too magenta looking) Every camera has it's own pecularities. Another thing I liked about the Nikon was it's battery. That thing is GREAT! The Fuji has Firewire which is great if you're teathered to a computer, like in a portrait studio. One little test to perform, go to your camera store and hold the cameras vertically, viewfinder to viewfinder and quickly look back and forth between the two. See which looks better to you. Resolution wise they are still both native 6mp cameras, the Fuji does some resampling to get it's higher numbers. Check out Thom Hogan's site, he literally wrote the book on the two cameras. He's good at pointing out their strengths and weaknesses.

Good luck on your decision! Don't forget, the glass you use is VERY important too.

My two cents worth.

Robert Jensen
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RWJensen Find More Posts by RWJensen

Old 09-07-2003, 07:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36068
Comments: 1

StuHaluski is offline IP: 66.56.78.245

I was in your same position, one person saying go Fuji one person saying go D100. Well it came down to rear curtain flash sync, a few other small items that the Nikon had that were better for me than the Fujis' so called "interpolation" of its honycomb grid on the chip. And $400 more for the Fuji.

The feature of debatable "interpolation" that could have made a difference was not worth the $400.

I got the D-100 and never looked back, btw I havent gotten to the RAW format yet, I just shot a few RAW and didnt like how slow it made my shooting, course I see an excellent shot I might switch modes and bang out a few.

But RAW does rock.

No problems with color cast or sharpness. Another way to look at it tho is I don't think you are going to go wrong with either camera.

Good luck and enjoy your choice.

Stu

View Public Profile Send a private message to StuHaluski Visit StuHaluski's homepage! Find More Posts by StuHaluski

Old 09-07-2003, 07:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35498

NorthC is offline IP: 68.15.177.122

I shoot with the S2 and love it. It did take a while before I got my skintones right where I like them. I think the camera shoots RED with to much saturation, but knowing that I watch out for it. On the other side of the coin I think that RED saturation is what gives me the skintone I like.

S2 Has NO Vertical Grip... I hate that
D100 Has no PC Sync... I hate that

All shot with the S2.

Chris
  View Public Profile Send a private message to NorthC Visit NorthC's homepage! Find More Posts by NorthC

Re: PC Sync on the Nikon
Old 09-07-2003, 07:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36068
Comments: 1

StuHaluski is offline IP: 66.56.78.245

Pet peeve of mine, no way I should have to buy an extra thingamajig (AS-15) just to get PC flash sync on my camera. Nikon needs to cut that crap out. I wouldn't mind knowing their rationale behind it, maybe if I did it wouldn't piss me off so much.

Sorry just had to say the above...

Stu
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StuHaluski Visit StuHaluski's homepage! Find More Posts by StuHaluski

Old 09-08-2003, 06:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36370

SteveHopkins is offline IP: 68.156.183.151

What is it you like about the battery in the D100? I am leaning toward the Fuji because it has AA capability - not so much for glamour, but for nature - you can always pick up some AA's at the local discount or convenience store.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SteveHopkins Find More Posts by SteveHopkins

Old 09-08-2003, 11:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35662

RWJensen is offline IP: 68.4.252.42

You forget about the CR123 batteries (unless you get the extra grip), expensive and can be hard to find in a pinch. I've heard rumors of a rechargable CR123 but since I changed my mind and switched to the D100 I didn't pursue the info.

The Nikon D100 batteries have become almost legendary because of their capacity. I've shot 700+ images, using the LCD frequently, on one battery. They are fairly cheap, fast to recharge, and easy to carry.

The best thing you can do before you decide is to go to your local camera store that hopefully carries both the Nikon and Fuji and check them out side by side in detail. Remember to support that store by purchasing the camera from them. Either that or rent them both and really put them through their paces for a whole day/weekend (hardware and software).

There are good things about both cameras, which is best for you depends and which features are most important. Head over to DPReview and their forums on both cameras to pick up more info.

Good luck!

Robert Jensen
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RWJensen Find More Posts by RWJensen

Old 09-08-2003, 04:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
RichSchmidt

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 152.163.253.33

The thing about AA batteries, rechargeable or not, is that they simply do not have the capacity.

Digital cameras are power hogs by design. Look at the mA/H (milli-amps per hour) power consumption rating and you'll see that AA's can't hold up to the battery packs.

I have both the rechargeable AA's and the BP-10 Lithium battery for my Oly E-10, and can typically shoot between 600 and 700 images at 1600*1200 with the pack. If I shoot max size in TIFF mode, that number is somewhere around 400-500. It works well in cold (shot in Michigan winters at around 0°F with no trouble) also...something the AA's had trouble doing.

The AA's can't hold up against that....I've blown through two 4 packs of AA rechargeables and anywhere from 8-12 standard alkaline's in a typical shooting day (either studio or location). It's a big pain in the a$$ having to wait for pics to finish writing also as your AA batteries wear down.

I don't mind the proprietary battery packs if it'll save me time and money in the long run...which they have! More than enough to pay for themselves twice over.

~Rich~

Don\'t forget....
Old 09-08-2003, 06:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35737

David Bunch is offline IP: 209.102.150.174

The camera runs just fine without the CR123's, but you lose the built-in flash and the extra drain on the AAs means more frequent battery swaps. My normal method is unless I'm shooting with a flash and bracket combo, I use the converted MB-16 pack. For short flash/bracket shooting, I use the camera normally and for long session flash/bracket shooting, I plug in an external pack for the camera connected to the AC input jack.

Why not just use the external pack all the time? Because the camera has it's AC jack exactly where most photographers cradle the camera when shooting verticals, and it's both uncomfortable and I'm worried about stress on the jack.

David
  View Public Profile Send a private message to David Bunch Visit David Bunch's homepage! Find More Posts by David Bunch