Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
on using blur on photoshop...
Old 09-04-2003, 02:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
eyecandy

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.66.128.57

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

what does threshold and radius refer to and how does each or both affect the image?

i guess i just need to know how to use this function properly, as i am unable to achieve desirable results. let's say i would want a soft-focus effect?

thanks for the help,

sean

Re: on using blur on photoshop...
Old 09-04-2003, 03:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35853
Comments: 0

nltrapani is offline IP: 63.115.132.3

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sean,
There is not a threshhold setting in gausian blur, but the radius setting determines the intensity of the blur. There are a number of methods for creating a soft focus effect, but you may want to consider one of the Fred Miranda actions at www.fredmiranda.com, his soft focus action or plug-in gives you a lot of flexibility for controlling the intensity of the blur. They are only about $12-$14 and can easily be downloaded. The other action which is quite good is his Web Presenter. Hope this helped. If you prefer to use gausian blur, e-mail and I will give you a step by method this evening when I get home.

Nick
  View Public Profile Send a private message to nltrapani Visit nltrapani's homepage! Find More Posts by nltrapani

Old 09-04-2003, 03:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
eyecandy

Member GG#:
Comments:

thanks nick...

on photoshop 7, the function i was referring to was clicking on filter > blur > then you have choices of blur, gaussian, motion, radial, and smart blur. you're right, the gaussian blur only has the radius setting.

anyhow, i guess i also need to know the difference between those types of blurs...i have a photoshop book, but it isn't an exhaustive guide.

i will email you for more help.

thanks,

sean

Old 09-04-2003, 04:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 172.186.31.75

Sean,

Dude, I cant tell you what they mean, just what they do. Rather than doing that, just take 2 copies of an image, one at 72 dpi and one at 300 dpi, use the tool without changing setting on both images and then start playing. Within about 10 minutes you will have all the answer you need. Photoshop is about doing not knowing why, the more you play with it, the better.

Here is an example.

For the past 8 years I have been using Photoshop. My first Photoshop was 3.

Just in the past 2 weeks I have been shown 2 very powerful simple little things that in 8 years I had never known.

I use Photoshop every day, for hours at a time, yet these simple things have changed my workflow forever.

What are they ????

Okay. 1. (From JT Smith) The sponge tool, its in the Dodge / Burn tool, simply it adds saturation to a selected area at the intensity you choose. It can also desaturate. What do I use it for ???? well Hair and eyes mainly. I used to make a selection, feather it, copy and paste it and then use a new adjustment layer on it to saturate it. now one mouse click and its done.

#2 (Hackman) this one is a little more complex, but I will share it.

Grab an image of a model

Just click on the red layer one time

Now Apple (control ?) click on the green layer.

You should now have a selection.

Now click one time on the RGB layer

Now do a Apple (control) J

You will now have a new layer.

Now apply a filter, Gausian blur (around 5 - 6 on a 72dpi image) to that layer

Now grab the eraser and clean up they eyes, hair etc.

Now change the opacity of that layer and see what happened to your models skin.......

Amazing,

I used to do that with lots of layers, screen layers etc, again just a few mouse clicks and its magic.

Moral of the story, I don’t know why it works, but love the effect of it.....

Just go play.....

regards,

David.

thanks david...here\'s what i\'m trying to achieve...
Old 09-04-2003, 04:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
eyecandy

Member GG#:
Comments:

many thanks for your time.

maybe if i expound on what it is i'm trying to achieve -- there's a look i'm trying to get, which is a very desaturated (the colors are muted, flat-like, almost monotone) and grainy look, with soft-focus and increased contrast.

of course, personal taste is to each his own, but i do like this look. i've seen it around, and at risk of getting in trouble, i've decided to post 3 examples here in hopes of finding out how to do it.

example one, copyright 2003 larry white

example 2, copyright 2003 larry white

example 3, copyright 2003 larry white

again, many thanks for everyone's help.

sean

Re: FOR GOD\'S SAKE BE CAREFUL!!!!
Old 09-04-2003, 04:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35859

DWilson is offline IP: 198.161.58.234

Dave! That Hackman jobbie is cool!

Anyway, I just want to re-iterate to everyone on this topic to BE CAREFUL! Please do not over do it with the bluring, especially smart blur. It's very easy to go over board and make your models look plastic. Unless you purposely make the EXTREMELY plastic, making a shot too smooth just looks bad.

So for those of you who are doing it too much (I sure hope you know who you are) please stop now!

Cheers!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DWilson Visit DWilson's homepage! Find More Posts by DWilson

Re: thanks david...here\'s what i\'m trying to achieve...
Old 09-04-2003, 04:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35859

DWilson is offline IP: 198.161.58.234

AH! That is, oddly enough, a distortion filter called Diffuse Glow!

Give it a try but heed my warning. For the first while, take it to where you like then, then tone it down a bit. I find most people when first trying it out go too heavy on the effect.

Enjoy!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DWilson Visit DWilson's homepage! Find More Posts by DWilson

Re: FOR GOD\'S SAKE BE CAREFUL!!!!
Old 09-04-2003, 05:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 172.186.31.75

Dave, Dave, Dave, Dave, Dave,

have you noticed how hard it is for you to type David since your so used to typing Dave, I just found that out.

Dave, (gotta stop saying that)

As you rightly pointed out, its a tool, just like any tool, you have to use is sparingly.

I have found that I take the opacity down to about 25 - 35 % and if there are any other areas that need touching up, I take care of them with a new layer, the clone tool, with all layers selected, a 30 - 40 % opacity again and a soft feathered paintbrush.

This was originally a colour image, it was mediocre, I used Hackman jobbie, took out a few blemishes etc and then made it sepia, added a little grain and now I love it.

I need to redo it as I cleaned up her right eyebrow too much and it looks fake. When I do, I will post the original and this one for you all to see.

Do people really make plastic models ?

hasta,

David.

Here\'s a simple step by step way to acheive the soft focus.
Old 09-04-2003, 06:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.11.160.52

Work with a saved copy of the image, never the original, especially while you're learning. Once you get used to doing this with confidence, you can work on what you want to.

1) create a new layer, by dragging your background to the new layer button or select it all and goto layers>new>new via copy

2) on your new layer, apply a gaussian blur. I like to use a radius of 10, but experiment. To do this, goto filter>blur>gaussian blur

3) change the mode of this new layer to screen in the layers palatte. Be sure you have your new layer selected and just choose 'screen' from the drop down list

4) lastly, change the opacity of your new layer, I usually end up with an opacity somewhere around 50%.

Try this and I think you'll find what you're looking for.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dynamike Visit dynamike's homepage! Find More Posts by dynamike

Re: Here\'s a simple step by step way to acheive the soft focus.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
eyecandy

Member GG#:
Comments:

thanks for taking the time, mike! appreciate it.

sean