Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
ISO ATI Radeon 9000 Pro Mac video card
Old 09-02-2003, 10:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36798
Comments: 0

richardnyc is offline IP: 24.45.44.97

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

This is my first post since the gg upgrade.... hummm
>
Speaking of upgrades. If you have a card for sale and or you know a cheap source ( under 130.00) for a ATI Radeon 9000 Pro Mac video card then please drop me a line
>
Hope all is well
>
richard143nyc@hotmail.com
>
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to richardnyc Visit richardnyc's homepage! Find More Posts by richardnyc

Re: ISO ATI Radeon 9000 Pro Mac video card
Old 09-03-2003, 01:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35621

Richie is offline IP: 24.144.49.118

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

A search at http://www.pricewatch.com yielded prices at $145; only $15 more.

-Richie
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Richie Find More Posts by Richie

Old 09-03-2003, 10:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Thanks for looking it up for me. I found one for that price, guess I was hoping someone was upgrading and had a used one for sale. All this stuff adds up.
>
Loved your site
>
many thanks
>
richard
>
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to richardnyc Visit richardnyc's homepage! Find More Posts by richardnyc

Old 09-04-2003, 06:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35467

huvola is offline IP: 12.210.165.128

[ QUOTE ]
This is my first post since the gg upgrade.... hummm
>
Speaking of upgrades. If you have a card for sale and or you know a cheap source ( under 130.00) for a ATI Radeon 9000 Pro Mac video card then please drop me a line
>
Hope all is well
>
richard143nyc@hotmail.com
>
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Richard,

Is there any reason you are specifically interested in the 9000 pro? What are you using it for and what are you upgrading from? What Mac are you putting it in?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to huvola Find More Posts by huvola

thanks for your reply
Old 09-04-2003, 10:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Its that old vicious cycle. You want to improve one thing on your computer then wind up spending more than you want on peripherals.
>
I have been doing a lot of PhotoShop work lately and I am dying to get my tools onto another monitor. I am using a 17' LaCie CRT for my PS work and I found a cheap Sony 17 " LCD just to nest my tools (layers, history, info palette etc).
>
My Quicksilver 733 has a GeforceMX card in it which does not support "expanded monitor" so I need a new card.
>
ATI is basically an Apple product so it is supported. There is not much of a price difference between the 9000 and the 7000 so I figure I would get a card that I could use in a G5 if / when I get one.
>
I am sure there would have been a cheaper solution but I am just not that computer savvy.
>
What would you have done ??
>
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

Re: thanks for your reply
Old 09-05-2003, 07:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35467

huvola is offline IP: 12.210.165.128

[ QUOTE ]
Its that old vicious cycle. You want to improve one thing on your computer then wind up spending more than you want on peripherals.
>
I have been doing a lot of PhotoShop work lately and I am dying to get my tools onto another monitor. I am using a 17' LaCie CRT for my PS work and I found a cheap Sony 17 " LCD just to nest my tools (layers, history, info palette etc).
>
My Quicksilver 733 has a GeforceMX card in it which does not support "expanded monitor" so I need a new card.
>
ATI is basically an Apple product so it is supported. There is not much of a price difference between the 9000 and the 7000 so I figure I would get a card that I could use in a G5 if / when I get one.
>
I am sure there would have been a cheaper solution but I am just not that computer savvy.
>
What would you have done ??
>
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Richard,

Ok, what I would do is go here :

http://eshop.macsales.com/Search/Sea...&Manufacturer=

And pick up a Geforce4MX card for $65.00. These are genuine brand new Apple OEM service parts, the same card Apple put in G4s starting the generation right after yours. The biggest difference between this Geforce4 and the Geforce2 you have, is that on the GF4, both monitor ports ARE active at once. So you can drive both your monitors from the one card. As you know, your GF2 has an ADC and VGA connector, but only one can be in use at once.

Now, the GF4 card has 1 ADC port and 1 DVI port. As I recal, the GF2 had a ADC and a VGA.

Im going to assume that since your LCD was cheaper one, its got a VGA connector and not DVI. So, if thats the case, order the 75.00 dollar card that comes with a DVI to VGA adapter. Then you will need an ADC to VGA adapter as well, which can be found here:

http://www.drbott.com/prod/db.lasso?code=0117-ADCV

When your all done, you'l have a 2 headed video card and the proper adapters for 2 VGA monitors. (If your flat panel has a DVI connector, you can get the cheaper 65.00 card as you wont need the DVI to VGA adapter) You'd need the same adapters for the Radeon 9000 pro card, as it has the same ports as the OEM GF4 card from Apple, so your not adding anything extra that you wouldnt also have to buy when going with the Radeon.

This should save you 70-90 bucks over the Radeon 9000.

Unless your also a hard core 3D gamer, you wont see any speed benefit from the Radeon over the Geforce. And the GF4 is about 25% faster overall than the card you have now.

The Radeon 9000Pro you can buy retail is a 4xAGP card, and would not work in the G5's 8xAGP slot anyway, so theres no use trying to take it with you if and when you move up to a G5 anyway.

Also, if you decide to do this, I would hurry. I dont know how many of those GF4 cards Other World has in stock. I do recal that when the first announced that they had some, it was a "limted to stock on hand" deal. Once their gone, that will probably be it.

Also, if you are running OS9, you will need to download some sofware updates to run the card. (it workds fine in OSX however) if you run the card without loading the updated drivers, its stuck in 640x480 resolution. Well, not STUCK.. just untill you load the drivers.. Ask them about it when you call to order the card, they have the drivers right on their site and call tell you the address to download them. Other World is a great company, I have dealt with them a lot over the years.

And Finally, If you do this, and want to sell your GF2 card, drop me a line. I would be interested in it for a good price (to put in a G4 Cube I have)

View Public Profile Send a private message to huvola Find More Posts by huvola

Re: thanks for your reply
Old 09-05-2003, 11:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

K.
>
First of all I know how much time it takes to do a follow up post like you did so I sincerely thank you. Although my quest is self serving I hope others who read this can benefit from your experience as much as I did.
>
In the end I got the 9000 card because I could not figure out another solution. In hind site, an up grade from a Geforce2x to 4x makes perfect sense. All I needed was a dual head where both heads work at once. I was anxious to get up and running and usually buying something in a hurry means that I could have made a better decision. I am up against a steep learning curve with all this stuff and I really do not know who to ask when it comes to technical solutions.
>
I also did not know that the 9000 card will not go with me to a G5. No worries there because this is my first Mac and I will probably find another use for it if / when I get the G5. My machine came with OS X but the Epson 2200 that I print on had driver problems with X in the beginning. I do not like to fix things unless they are broke , but it seems my days with OS 9 are numbered. Now that Epson has the drivers for OS X , I really need to clean out my machine and switch operating systems.
>
I did figure out the adapter so hopefully I am on my way.
>
I hope that I can return the favor someday
>
Many thanks
>
richardnyc