Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
S2+Q Flash+TTL Adapter+low light=
Old 08-30-2003, 05:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Back from the Black Hole

Member GG#: 35208
Comments: 0
My Mood:
Send a message via ICQ to Don_Teague

Don_Teague is offline IP: 152.163.253.33

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

really poor auto focus performance! Okay, so, I'm shooting this wedding last night in a tent. The only ambient lighting is provided by some white Christmas style string lights hanging along the outer perhiphery of said tent, which makes manual focusing difficult, as it's difficult to see much of anything through the camera.

Switch to auto focus...nope, doesn't seem to like the low light conditions either! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Is there a way to improve the low light auto focusing performance of the set up I'm using, or am I left to do my best with the manual focusing HOPING I nail it?

Any suggestions?

(Maybe this is why I once vowed never to shoot weddings! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

Later!
-Don

Home Sweet Home
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Don_Teague Visit Don_Teague's homepage! Find More Posts by Don_Teague

Re: S2+Q Flash+TTL Adapter+low light=
Old 08-30-2003, 07:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35737

David Bunch is offline IP: 209.102.150.174

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi, Don...some suggestions...

1st, use the fastest lenses you can. Even if that means getting a couple of cheap manual focus Nikkors, like a 28mm 2.8 or a 50mm 1.8.

2nd, try manual focusing and make use of the green AF dot at far left on the eyefinder LCD info panel, instead of AF.

3rd, with the Qflash, you've got plenty of power....bump the ISO to 400, guesstimate the distance (if your lens has a distance scale) and shoot at f5.6 or f8 to maximize DOF.

4th, use a flashlight as a focusing light/aid. Velcro a small Maglite to your bracket someplace, use when needed.

Hope these help!

David
  View Public Profile Send a private message to David Bunch Visit David Bunch's homepage! Find More Posts by David Bunch

Old 08-30-2003, 10:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35829

hlmphotog is offline IP: 152.163.253.33

Those are all realy good sugestions from David. Particularly the flash light. I used to use a speed graphic 4x5 and we always used the edge of a collar to focus because it was a range finder split screen focus system. In this day and age you wouldn't believe old techniques like that are still useful, but they are. When you are having difficulty with auto focus in low put your focus point across two contrasting elements and it will usualy snap into focus. The trick is to lock the focus in place. If you have an AF focus lock use that instead of the shutter release. Another thing you can try is hyperfocus. Select a range based on your maximum dof background and foreground and set your camera up for that range. Just make sure anything you shoot is within those distances and it will be in focus...Later, Hugh

View Public Profile Send a private message to hlmphotog Visit hlmphotog's homepage! Find More Posts by hlmphotog

On a side note...
Old 08-31-2003, 07:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

How do you like the Qflash T2? I'm thinking about getting the basic unit w/o TTL (I hate TTL flash), and have seen very little feedback on the web about it.

Easy to use? Does the Turbo keep it charged pretty well in not-full-power situations? Easy to change settings?

David
  View Public Profile Send a private message to David Bunch Visit David Bunch's homepage! Find More Posts by David Bunch

Re: On a side note...
Old 08-31-2003, 08:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35662

RWJensen is offline IP: 68.4.252.42

You might also check out the Lumedyne equipment. Top quality, great customer service.

Robert
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RWJensen Find More Posts by RWJensen

Pray tell...........
Old 08-31-2003, 08:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35679
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Soujrnr Send a message via Yahoo to Soujrnr

Soujrnr is offline IP: 64.222.235.225

Hi David,

I read your post and I'm just curious as to why you hate TTL flash. I've had great success with it using my F100 and my Metz 54MZ-3 flash. I don't want to take sides on this though. I'm just curious because my inquiring mind is always open to new viewpoints! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] On the other side of the coin, I have a Sunpak Auto 555 (potato masher) with TTL capabilities but it has NEVER done a good job. I'm willing to bet that I'm either doing something wrong or I have a bad controller module. Nevertheless, I'm very, very pleased with my Metz unit. It is awesome!

Good day sir!

Mike

View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Strictly my experience, but here goes
Old 08-31-2003, 09:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

I've used Minolta, Canon and Nikon over the years, and the ones I've used with TTL OTF flash metering worked fine in the same situations where my old Metz 60CT-1 always worked flawlessly - like a wedding reception, or any other indoor setting.

But the one situation I really wanted TTL flash to work was fill-flash. In this area, TTL is no better at flash than it is in ambient light. It's only as accurate as the reflecting surface the sensor in the camera "sees". If the subject moves, the sensor "sees" a different reflectivity and adjusts the flash power, just like with ambient light. Take glamour work. The so-called "distance" info that's transmitted from some lenses to the camera body, to adjust for foreground, work just fine - if she's completely nude. But if she's wearing any clothing, or if you compose for effect, the flash output varies according to that sensor's "line of sight". For me, it's easier to look at my distance to subject (all my lenses have distance markings), find a flash power setting that gives me the correct ratio to ambient, manually focus and then move in and out to maintain focus, keeping the flash "at range". Otherwise my pics could be all over the map. I know the Minolta I last tried with Distance info TTL (Dimage 7i) just last year produced disastrous results with their own 5600HS(D) flash.

As for the camera systems which fire "pre flashes" to determine flash exposure, again, you are dependent upon what the sensor "sees" - no real benefit.

Again, this is MY experience, and therefore my paranoia. Haven't tried the F100 with an SB-28 or SB-80, so they may work great. That wouldn't help me, 'cuz I use a Fuji S2, and the F/N80 cam it's based on doesn't include distance data for the flash output, so it'd be a total crap shoot outdoors. I trust manual power at a specific distance more than "what's the sensor seeing now". And for average, day-in & day-out flash stuff, the old Auto (thyristor) circuitry and settings work just fine. Sometimes, even outdoors.

If only someone would incorporate the old "Flashmatic" type flash system, where the flash output was based SOLELY upon distance to subject, and allow for fine-tuning by the user....I'd be one happy camper indeed.

JOMO, TIFWIW, YMMV.....

David

Old 09-01-2003, 02:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 172.185.231.129

Don,

Send hackman an email. (here is why)

I had the same thing happen to me when shooting a wedding a few years ago. I was shooting film and using an F5 yet in really low light, (it was a night time wedding) the camera would not focus. My setup was main camera F5, 28-105 2.8 Qflash, Candid cam, F100, SB28 70 - 200 2.8. Both cameras were on strobaframes. I just changed lens and worked with the sb28 on the 28-105. The 28 sends out a pattern for the camera to focus on.

I can remember Mark (hackman) had a D60 for a while, that camera did not want to focus in the dark at all. He tried a IR pattern generator which went between the flash and the camera, it put out the same pattern as the 28 but would throw it a little further.

If you could strap one of these on your bracket, ttl to the pattern gen, ttl from that to your q, it would work and you would have all your autofocus with your Q.

I love my Qflash, its about the best value flash for the money, I use it all the time as both an on camera flash or as a studio flash. Well worth he money!!!!

David

Minor correction
Old 09-01-2003, 07:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

I forgot...the Nikon N/F80 DOES incorporate distance calculation in it's D-TTL flash system - thus the need for monitor pre-flashes. Fuji figured out the correct reflectance factor for their Super CCD and they employ the standard TTL flash metering, which meters off the CCD surface during exposure aka OTF (OTCCD?). This limits the TTL flash sync speed to 1/125th or lower, and a max TTL flash ISO of 400. 1/180th flash sync works just fine via the PC flash socket, or a "dumb" non-dedicated hot shoe flash.

There's an old axiom in photography: meters can be fooled. TTL, in all it's flavors and varieties, are just meters. Why take the chance that it's being fooled? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

My 2˘...

David

Thanks, David!
Old 09-01-2003, 09:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35679
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Soujrnr Send a message via Yahoo to Soujrnr

Soujrnr is offline IP: 64.223.224.68

You have some very good points and come to think of it, I've experienced similar situations where the flash was fooled. I have had pretty good success with using my Metz for fill flash but even then, if it's not off the camera, it still makes for flat lighting in many cases. It would be nice to know how the sensor operates...for example, does the sensor work like a 1 degree spot meter and sense only 1 degree from straight ahead of the flash or what. I'm not sure. I would think it's more encompassing than that but I agree with your philosophy that it's often easier to set the distance manually. I have been doing that a lot more as of late with my Metz even though it's been almost flawless in it's power selection. One cool thing about the Metz (and any good flash) is that I can set the exposure compensation on my flash so that I can shoot over or under and I can make that selection after I've made a reading with my light meter so that there is no guessing. Technology is a wonderful thing! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for your thoughts, David. You have some great points worth considering next time I shoot in tricky situations.

Good day!

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr