Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Hosting
Old 08-27-2003, 04:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35628
Comments: 0

TripleG is offline IP: 68.194.34.158

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I just tried to log onto one of the members site today and got this message: The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.
In the very near future I'm going to upgrade my website to one that is not free. Do most hosting plans have this bandwidth limitation? Is there fine print to watch for, I'd like as much bandwidth as possible, does this mean I pay significantly more for that? Thanks
  View Public Profile Send a private message to TripleG Find More Posts by TripleG

Re: Hosting
Old 08-27-2003, 04:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36016
Comments: 2
My Mood:

mhickey is offline IP: 66.68.42.138

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Take a look at Jerry 's thread

http://www.garageglamour.com/ubbthre...=5&o=7&fpart=1

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mhickey Visit mhickey's homepage! Find More Posts by mhickey

Old 08-27-2003, 07:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35623

bscott3125 is offline IP: 12.218.160.12

I own a ISP and offer hosting plans that are extrememly competitive. One of the advantages with hosting with me is that I too am a photographer and understand photographer needs.

Feel free to contact me offline for more information if you are interested. Remember you get what you pay for.

-Brent
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bscott3125 Visit bscott3125's homepage! Find More Posts by bscott3125

Old 09-05-2003, 11:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 67.38.168.62

Greetings,

A fair number of ISP's do put limits on bandwidth consumption for their clients. In large measure this makes sense, due to the fact that the ISP only has a certain amount of bandwidth to share among all there clients. They are trying to ensure that they have the revenues to increase their bandwidth comensurate with the usage of their clients.

You should look at the bandwidth limits for any ISP that you may be thinking about working with. They will specifically spell out the storage and bandwidth limits that are included with your service plan. Most ISP's have a way of billing for bandwidth usage that is over the monthly limit, as well as several levels of service to choose from.

Be cautious of an ISP who offers unlimited bandwidth. Typically that ISP is playing "russian roulette" with their bandwidth versus reliability (i.e. it is great to have unlimited bandwidth, but if every client has it you soon kill off everyone's performance with a load issue.).

The reality is, if you are using a lot of bandwidth, paying for it is not the worst thing in the world. High bandwidth usage typically indicates high numbers of users, users which can contribute revenue to your business and therefor are best served by a fast and reliable site.

This probably seemed long winded, but there are lots of ISP out there who will only "paint one side of the picture". Let me know if you have any other questions.

Tim

Old 02-09-2005, 09:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36315

Tim_A is offline IP: 195.92.67.71

I do a small amount of work for a host.

Not sure if I'm able to post the url in here or not so please message me if you like.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Tim_A Find More Posts by Tim_A

Old 02-09-2005, 04:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.162.234.198

I use several hosts for the 12 domains I run. Key question is whether you plan to serve nude images. If so, you need to be sure the host will allow that. Otherwise you can get shut down without notice. Here are a few I've used and have had good success with:

http://2globalmart.com/ (will allow nudes, but not "adult" sites)
They are very inexpensive and have good bandwidth.

http://digitalspace.net/ (have not tried nudes there)

http://tinyurl.com/5gqcz (1and1.com - have not tried nudes) They have a fantastic amount of space and bandwidth for lowest price. Also at the current time you get a copy of Netobjects Fusion 8 free when you sign up for any account. Retail value of 190.00.

I've worked with all three of these and they seem to work well and have reasonable interfaces as well as FTP control. No direct shell control on any of them, but the interfaces give you quite a bit of low level control

Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 02-10-2005, 01:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40476

RM_Drake is offline IP: 66.245.64.184

I'm running a total of 5 sites on one account for $11/month at HostingMatters. I've been very happy with the service, uptime, tech support, etc. I just incorporated a user registration/login system (double opt-in with auto-generated e-mail confirmations) for one of my sites through a MySQL database, and it all works perfectly. Their servers are physically located in Jacksonville, Fla. (be careful with some cheap hosts that use servers located overseas, as response time can suffer greatly). Their connection is through redundant fiber rings for speed and reliability (infrastructure specs here). If all this is Greek to you, suffice it to say that they have a great deal to offer, with hosting plans starting at $6/month. They do not host "adult sites" nor allow "illegal or obscene material" on their servers, so if there's a question about their boundaries, you might want to e-mail them the URL of your current site and ask if they would have a problem hosting it. (You might also want to read their FAQ on why "unlimited bandwidth" really isn't.) --Randy
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RM_Drake Visit RM_Drake's homepage! Find More Posts by RM_Drake