Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
has any one ever done
Old 08-15-2003, 02:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Member GG#: 35280
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to JaysonFromMaine Send a message via Yahoo to JaysonFromMaine

JaysonFromMaine is offline IP: 24.128.68.39

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

cruise ship photography??
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JaysonFromMaine Visit JaysonFromMaine's homepage! Find More Posts by JaysonFromMaine

Re: has any one ever done
Old 08-15-2003, 10:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35859

DWilson is offline IP: 198.161.58.234

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I wish!!! Are you talking about doing photos on a cruise ship or of a cruise ship? I would think you just need to think of it as a really beautiful model who is 600 feet tall and laying down on the beach. Make sure your assistant has a reflector of sufficient size! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously though, I have no idea, but it sounds like a cool opportunity if you get it! Trade them a cruise for the photos! When you're done, let us all know about the experience in detail.

Cheers!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DWilson Visit DWilson's homepage! Find More Posts by DWilson

Old 08-15-2003, 11:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Send a message via AIM to JaysonFromMaine Send a message via Yahoo to JaysonFromMaine

i should have said ...worked as a cruise ship photographer
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JaysonFromMaine Visit JaysonFromMaine's homepage! Find More Posts by JaysonFromMaine

Old 08-15-2003, 11:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35195

rjwarren is offline IP: 12.145.192.117

Jason

I've been on a number of cruises and, of course, saw all the photography going on. A couple times I grabbed the photographers and asked "How does all this work?" I think that's what you're asking? Here's what I found out.

Most of the non-navigational services (shops, health & beauty, photography, etc) are provided under contract. Many of these contract companies span multiple cruise ships and multiple cruise lines. Almost all of the contract companies are European. Some hire Americans. The hires are mostly out of Miami.

The contract photography provides mini-lab processing services on board, as well as taking and selling images. As a photographer, you take a bunch or pictures and then spend lots of time down in the mini-lab processing prints.

Like all of the contract folks, you are also "filler" for the cruise director. You have to have everything from shorts to a tux and go to the parties you're not photographing. I've talked to a number of the folks that work the cruise ships -- it can be fun, but you have half a cramped cabin well below decks. It's kind of a group camaraderie thing.

If you're thinking about bidding a contract -- that's the only way to make real money. Although doing it for a six months or a year is fun. (The individual contracts are usually six months.)

If you have specific questions, shoot me an e-mail.

Bob
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rjwarren Visit rjwarren's homepage! Find More Posts by rjwarren

yuppers.....
Old 08-15-2003, 07:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Old 08-15-2003, 10:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36463

BryanJWeitzel is offline IP: 65.138.37.120

Jayson,

First of all, it's good to talk to you again. I haven't been around for a while and just recently came back to GG.

My sister just told me she put a bunch of books and pamphlets in the mail to me thinking that it might be something I would be interested in doing for a while. I haven't recieved the information yet, but when I do I can get you some more information.

The one thing I do know is that if you don't have one already, get your passport NOW! It is a requirment for the job. Also, once you start the process of trying to get the job, it could be weeks or months before you're hired (the length of time does not necessarily mean they aren't interested). And the last thing that I know at this point is that the typical assignment is six months on and two months off, six months on, etc.

I'm seriously considering it. Who knows, maybe we can wave at each other as our ships pass in the night? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

View Public Profile Send a private message to BryanJWeitzel Visit BryanJWeitzel's homepage! Find More Posts by BryanJWeitzel

It has indeed been to long...
Old 08-16-2003, 02:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Re: It has indeed been to long...
Old 08-16-2003, 12:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35621

Richie is offline IP: 65.67.87.198

A member over at phototalk, Zuhl, used to be a cruise ship photographer. He's a moderator over at http://www.phototalk.net - He might be able to answer some questions for you.

-Richie
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Richie Find More Posts by Richie

Re: It has indeed been to long...
Old 08-16-2003, 09:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

TY [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Old 08-22-2003, 04:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35663

MoonRatt is offline IP: 198.161.35.216

[ QUOTE ]
Trade them a cruise for the photos! When you're done, let us all know about the experience in detail.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you nuts?! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

The cruise line would get a hell of a deal there. Free photography!

An aquantince of mine does Theatre Production (lighting I think) on cruise ships. She's got the typical "This is great, but that really sucks!" stories. What it comes down to is, if you like to travel enough that being stuck in a cabin the size of most closets, sometimes not seeing the sun for looooooong periods of time, and in some cases, (Ship Photographer might be an exception) not being alowed to talk with or even interact with the passengers, then hey, it can be fun.
(Dave's run on sentence brought to you by the letters abcdefg & q)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to MoonRatt Visit MoonRatt's homepage! Find More Posts by MoonRatt