Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Photoshop \"Automate/Batch\" question
Old 08-04-2003, 08:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35402
Comments: 0

Gunfitr is offline IP: 64.12.96.9

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I like to use "Automate"/"Batch" commands to run actions on entire directories of photos. But even if I click "save" or "save as" as part of the action, no matter which of options I choose is setting up the automate/batch commands to run the action on the entire directory, it ends up stoping after processing EACH image and ask what level of .jpg compression I want for EACH photo at which point I either have to sit there and hit enter about every 2 seconds or I end up taping the enter key down with a piece of scotch tape and come back a half hour later when it has finished "batching" the whole directory.

Am I missing a step, I thought the whole idea of running a batch command was so I could one click process a whole directory.

If I have opened a file at least once in photoshop and saved it at least once, it skips the .jpg compression question if I run the batch command. (which is funny as I could understand it stopping to ask about embedded color profiles, but no where have I found a way to avoid the jpg compression issue question)

Am I missing something?

Mark
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Gunfitr Find More Posts by Gunfitr

Re: Photoshop \"Automate/Batch\" question
Old 08-04-2003, 10:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35621

Richie is offline IP: 65.67.87.198

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Mark, make sure you have checked the box that says: Override Action "Save As" Commands

-Richie
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Richie Find More Posts by Richie

Old 08-04-2003, 11:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 203.100.229.105

I could never get this to work, so now I use "save for web" which works a treat, and is probably better anyway (more control)... but this only works for JPG, PNG, GIF, if that's not what you want, I dunno, sorry. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

abby
www.abbywinters.com

Old 08-07-2003, 07:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 172.201.73.125

Mark, drop a private email to hackman, he can answer this for you if you cant get it sorted out,

hope this helps,

David.

Here\'s what you do
Old 08-07-2003, 08:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
marcogranto

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 65.28.45.31

Always work from the same 2 folders. I have one named FROM on my hard drive and one named TO. Always put the images into the FROM folder and always save them to the TO folder and it will work.

When you create an action it looks for the folder that the images were in to run the action. If it's different from when you created the action, it becomes lost.

Open the image that is in the FROM folder. Hit record and begin your going through the manipulation that will become your action. Choose SAVE AS and save the image into the TO folder. Hit STOP to stop recording the action. Now go back and play the action on all the images that are in the FROM folder and it will save them into the TO folder without any problems, providing you do this correctly.

Old 08-09-2003, 11:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35737

David Bunch is offline IP: 209.102.150.161

This has been a bugaboo of Photoshop since they first started reading JPG files. Adobe is all about quality, and the "lossy" nature of JPG format chafes them. True JPG theory dictates that every image is unique, and should be considered individually for JPG compression, due to loss, size of file, etc. Batch processing the saving of JPGs besed upon global settings for Quality or File Size is unacceptable to Adobe. When PS creates or manipulates an image and saves it in JPG, it "tags" the JPG with the compression settings chosen for that image. That's why when PS says "Saved" images, it means previously saved by using PS. That way, it can reuse the original compression settings embedded in the file. Folders don't matter, Save vs. Save As doesn't matter....if it's a JPG, and if PS didn't make it or manipulate it, it's going to prompt for a compression setting....no way around it.

Solution? For most, it involves never using PS to batch process JPGs. Convert to TIF or BMP as a first step, to minimize loss, make all PS changes to these files, then use another program to batch convert back to JPG (ACDSee, Thumbs+, SuperJPG, etc.). That's my large-quantity solution. I created an action to resize to 800V, then save as TIF and Close - and another for 800H. This allows me to get everything used in mass quantities at web size, then run any other actions on them as needed, batch by batch. I've still got the originals, of course, for those "sorted" pics that require full-size care for printing.

Why resize before saving to TIF? Easy, because TIF conversions of my Fuji S2 Fine 6MP JPGs creates either a 7.4MB compressed TIF or a 17.4MB uncompressed TIF. 12MP mode, double those sizes. After resizing to 800 long side, it's just 1.22 MB uncompressed for the 6MP! MUCH faster for PS to work with.

David
  View Public Profile Send a private message to David Bunch Visit David Bunch's homepage! Find More Posts by David Bunch

Hog Wash
Old 08-10-2003, 05:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
marcogranto

Member GG#:
Comments:

Are you telling me that what's been working for me for years now isn't really working and it's my imagination?

I've been using it this way for years now and have never had a problem. I choose "Save As" and assign a compression ration and it does it all perfectly everytime without a hitch. I own 2 pay sites and have been batch processing JPEG's in Photoshop since their inception.

Re: Hog Wash
Old 08-10-2003, 05:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.45.209.238

You're telling me you do this and it doesn't prompt you on each jpg file when batching in auto....??

If so explain how you get around the prompt jpg compression in save as.....

J T
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Re: Hog Wash
Old 08-10-2003, 05:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
marcogranto

Member GG#:
Comments:

It's all part of the action, JT. I open the file from my FROM folder and then hit record (on the action), resize it, add my copyright to it and save it to my TO folder and select the quality as 6 and Baseline Optimized and then stop recording of the action.

My action not only saves a copy of the image as a 6 on quality but also keeps the oringinal and saves thumbs to a THUMBS folder.

S$%&*! It does work!
Old 08-10-2003, 07:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35737

David Bunch is offline IP: 209.102.150.161

But why on earth doesn't it say Save As on the action? That's what always confused me....I kept thinking my Save As's were being changed to Saves.

Well, hell....do you have any idea how much time I've been wasting?

Many thanks to you..... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

David
  View Public Profile Send a private message to David Bunch Visit David Bunch's homepage! Find More Posts by David Bunch