Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamourô > Garage Glamourô Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Color Management Trauma
Old 07-31-2003, 06:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35859
Comments: 0

DWilson is offline IP: 198.161.58.234

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Okay, so I've been playing with this Capture One software for a couple of days and have just noticed a disturbing problem. I have color management problems!

In Capture One I was working on a certain image and had it looking great. I developed it out then loaded it into Photoshop. Things still seemed fine. Then I saved a copy to post on the web and upon viewing the web posting noticed the saturation was considerably less on the web page views than in Photoshop or Capture One. On closer inspection it seems as though I have Photoshop set up wrong because Capture One and the image viewed on a web page look very similar in color and saturation while Photoshop is MORE saturated.

So, I went through and checked all my profiles, My monitor, Photoshop and Capture One...even my printer! Some settings didn't jive so I set everything to Abode 1998.

No Luck!

Now, Photoshop displays images even more saturated than before and a web image is noticably different in appearance from the Capture One display.

So, does anyone know of a place that will walk me through redoing my profiles, step by step, like they're talking to a four year old? I thought I understood this stuff but it seems I'm clueless.

Thanks a heap! Adios!

View Public Profile Send a private message to DWilson Visit DWilson's homepage! Find More Posts by DWilson

Re: Color Management Trauma
Old 07-31-2003, 10:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35621

Richie is offline IP: 65.67.87.198

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

You had it right the first time - you just forgot one step. You must convert files to sRGB before uploading to the web. The sRGB profile was designed to represent the average monitor. Adobe RGB is has a larger gamut than sRGB and cannot be displayed properly in non color-managed software. So convert to sRGB before uploading to the web [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

-Richie
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Richie Find More Posts by Richie

Old 08-01-2003, 05:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
GG_Staff

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 67.85.65.104

Color management is attempted by many and understood by few [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Here are two things to know (that not many people know nor understand). Windows and Macs are VERY DIFFERENT when it comes to color management. Macs are color profile aware in all apps. Its built into the OS. PCs are only color profile aware if the program is color profile aware. So if you look at the same image on a PC and a MAC that are both calibrated and profiled. The images CAN look different due to the profiled saved in the JPG. If its an sRGB profile, the images should look the same. If its a different profile, the images will most likely look different on the PC than the Mac. The PC will ASSUME a sRGB profile even though the profile save in the JPG is different.

After saying all that... When saving for the web, you MUST convert to a sRGB profile BEFORE saving for the web if the image is not already using the sRGB profile. The same can be said for printing. Sure the AdobeRGB profile has more colors but many printers are sRGB printers and thus do not read the embedded profiles in a JPG and will give you HORRIBLE results when printing. They are assuming an sRGB profile when you may have a AdobeRGB profile embeded. The Fuji Frontier is one of those such printers. Submit a JPG file that is not a sRGB JPG and you will not get the results you expect.

I suggest you get yourself a book called Real World Color Management.

Old 08-02-2003, 07:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36016
Comments: 2
My Mood:

mhickey is offline IP: 66.68.42.138

Replies like the two given to this question are to me one of the biggest reasons for being a member of this forum. Thank you gentlemen for educating me (it's harder to do at my age).
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mhickey Visit mhickey's homepage! Find More Posts by mhickey

Old 08-04-2003, 07:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35859

DWilson is offline IP: 198.161.58.234

Okay...well, I've gone through and set EVERYTHING for sRGB IEC61966-2.1 (they couldn't give it a better name could they?). Here is a screenshot that shows an image in both Photoshot (on the right) and ACDSee at the same time. Note how the ACDSee version is more saturated and generally looks better? I have not edited this shot yet at all, aside from rotating this is straight from the camera and just loaded into each program.

The image displays in my browser the same as the two screens display when just viewing them on their own if that helps anyone out.

View Public Profile Send a private message to DWilson Visit DWilson's homepage! Find More Posts by DWilson

Old 08-07-2003, 07:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 172.201.73.125

Hi Mr W,

I donít know how you converted, however all I can say is that there are several different setting in PS, what you need to do to convert an image is

Image, Model, Convert to profile ........

That will convert the image to whatever profile you select.

That being said, take a peek at this thread

http://www.garageglamour.com/ubbthre...=5&o=7&fpart=1

and read my reply in that one, you need to work on your colour spaces for your monitors, your printer and your images all separately.

The convert to srgb is mainly for output, if your working profile is different, then the image will look different on your PS screen than on the output screen.

I also think in long discussions with Hackman we came to the conclusion that ACDC does not look at profiles and really screws up images.

If its for the web, the best thing you can do is open the image in something like IE or Netscape to see what it will look like, any image program will F with your colours.....

hope this helps dude.

David

Old 08-12-2003, 01:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35663

MoonRatt is offline IP: 198.161.35.216

D**M! D**M! D**M!

Dave and I (yup, two Dave's, one company.) have been fighting this for a while.

I thought I had it all worked out when I started making sure everything set to AdobeRGB...but, the note about the Frontier makes sense. (I was trying to use their profiles but the images look even worse. I think what's happening here though is I have the images set to AdobeRGB then try to convert straight to the Frontier profile. I'm going to have to try going to sRGB first then to the Fuji profile. Uhmm...something more to play with.) I've been getting the worst images from a lab here lately. Why? Well, I was being smart and have everything setup to print off our Epson printer. But go to the lab and they look like crap. I'll have to run the next batch through and make sure I reconvert back to sRGB and see if that's where I've been going wrong with the lab.

Damn. I'm going to have to create a check list for myself now depending on who I'm shooting for and where I'm going to be getting the prints done.

I'm getting tired of picking stuff up and thinking..."Huston, we've had a problem."
  View Public Profile Send a private message to MoonRatt Visit MoonRatt's homepage! Find More Posts by MoonRatt

Old 08-12-2003, 01:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 172.167.2.135

Dave,

David here, okay, before you dive in too deep, you should never convert your work to your lab profile as once you go that way, you cant go back,

here is another step,

Once you have your image how you like it, save it. Then click on view, then click view setup and then custom. Your loaded profile will be in there somewhere if you installed it correctly.

Now do your image corrections as you would normally, you are working in SRGB or Adobe RGB but you are seeing what your output will look like if it were printed with their profile.

What you are doing is not changing the colour space, just how it looks to match the printer, that way you loose none of the original data of the image.

Do your corrections on an adjustment layer and it should all be good.

hope this helps dude, it took me months to get my head around all this as I had no one to ask,

hasta.

David.

Old 08-12-2003, 02:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35663

MoonRatt is offline IP: 198.161.35.216

Uhmm...thanks.

I'll give that a shot when I get home.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to MoonRatt Visit MoonRatt's homepage! Find More Posts by MoonRatt

Old 08-12-2003, 08:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36599

ABosio is offline IP: 207.68.50.212

In PS 7.0 I go into Color Setting and choose "Color Management Off" from the settings popup menu. That seems to work better for me most of the time.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ABosio Find More Posts by ABosio