Photo Tips Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Looking for some very beginner tips/ideas
Old 06-18-2003, 11:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36037
Comments: 0

objektiv is offline IP: 68.54.150.59

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

First off I have to say I hardly know anything about this and am a total beginer. I took a couple of extremely basic photography (film) classes years ago and remember almost nothing. I'm interested mainly in digital photography now although I know most (nearly all?) of the basic principals carry over. I hope this is ok to post such basic questions here...

I've seen several how-to websites for this type of photography but most of the stuff I've seen requires alot of lighting equipment or light discs or both. I was looking at www.webphotoschool.com (free photo lessons and lessons on the Olympus website) for example but most of their how-to's seem to require a truckload of equipment. I have no budget for any of this stuff at all at this time (nor the knowledge to use it) and I'm wondeirng if someone can reccomend some different shots and conditions (either inside our outside) I might be able to pull off without any extra equipment at all. Can anyone give me any ideas on a good absolute beginners starting point?

Thanks in advance.

View Public Profile Send a private message to objektiv Visit objektiv's homepage! Find More Posts by objektiv

Re: Looking for some very beginner tips/ideas
Old 06-19-2003, 12:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Member GG#: 35280
Send a message via AIM to JaysonFromMaine Send a message via Yahoo to JaysonFromMaine

JaysonFromMaine is offline IP: 24.128.68.39

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

get some foam core to use as reflectors...and start with natural and available light...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JaysonFromMaine Visit JaysonFromMaine's homepage! Find More Posts by JaysonFromMaine

Old 06-19-2003, 03:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Where do you get hte foam? Can you reccomend any good sites or forums geared towards beginners? Thanks.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to objektiv Visit objektiv's homepage! Find More Posts by objektiv

Old 06-19-2003, 05:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Send a message via AIM to JaysonFromMaine Send a message via Yahoo to JaysonFromMaine

an office max type store should have foam core...this is as good a site as any for tips...just post more spicific questions...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JaysonFromMaine Visit JaysonFromMaine's homepage! Find More Posts by JaysonFromMaine

Old 06-19-2003, 05:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35859

DWilson is offline IP: 198.161.58.234

Hey there. You can get foamcore from almost any art supply shop. It's pretty cheap and comes in sizes up to 4' x 8'. Now, while it's great stuff to use for reflecting light where you want it, setting it up is another matter altogether. If you and your models bring friends to the shoots youcan have the friends hold these sheets and direct the light. But if it's just you and your subject, you're in trouble. I haven't had to deal with it yet and I've been good at avoiding it so far, but the day I have to set up reflectors with helpers will be a sad for me because I have no idea how to setup reflectors cheaply without peopleholding them.

As for forums, this is a good place, or you can try www.Photo.net, use the camera specific forums on www.dpreview.com or enter the contests at www.digitalphotocontest.com.

Sadly, you may not find a site that will cater to newbies that well, you will always have guys will bash your stuff and do their best to make you feel useless. If it doesn't sound like a constructive comment to you, ignore the person who made it. Don't confuse that with short and abrupt comments. Some comments that people make in as few words as possible can come out sounding rude although not intended that way. Of course some longwinded commentaries can sound rude too, you have to read between the lines if possible. Personally, unless it is obviously meant to be playful, I always assume people are trying to be serious and helpfull. It's made me look stupid a couple of times but at least I still tried to handle things as pleasantly as possible.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing some of your work. Bye for now.

View Public Profile Send a private message to DWilson Visit DWilson's homepage! Find More Posts by DWilson

Old 06-23-2003, 03:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Is this the right stuff? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/product/...B1620Q/REG/874

What office max had was a large package and something like $70 - for not much more you can get a real reflector can't you?

Old 06-23-2003, 06:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

yeah in some cases buying a reguler photoflex reflector is just as cheap ...and thay do collapse,,,

Old 06-27-2003, 06:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35897

cburg4383 is offline IP: 68.114.210.154

Mr. Wilson,

I reviewed your reply to the gentleman just beginning his photography career. May I say your reply was right on in that we all are beginners at some time. The wonderful thing is that as long as we strive to become better by learning from our mistakes we can't help but become a better photographer, or artist or mechanic for that matter. For those who get their jollies by criticizing others does nothing for the person on the receiving end, and by doing so, does less than that for the person who thinks they're in the position to critique. Well done. As a relative beginner again after twenty years, I to am getting back in the swing of things. This site and constructive people like you make this an incredible place to learn by seeing what others have done. Thanks.

Craig

CBP, Inc. web page
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cburg4383 Visit cburg4383's homepage! Find More Posts by cburg4383