Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Do I understand about sizing an image for....
Old 06-15-2010, 03:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55764
Comments: 0
My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 216.167.157.133

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

a website?

I had a commercial customer who needed an image for a website so I looked at the existing images on the site. They were headshots and the size was 1.667 in x 2.5 in x 72 ppi.

I sent them a headshot that was 4 in x 5 in x 100ppi, so they could resize it.

I get an email from the people and they said they need a high resolution image because the one I sent was too small and it is grainy when they resize (downsize) it. I resized one to the exact dimensions of the existing images and it looks just fine.

Question? Am I not understanding how to take an image much larger (than required) and making it smaller, or is it their web person? How can an image as large as I sent be grainy when they make such a small thumbnail?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE

Re: Do I understand about sizing an image for....
Old 06-15-2010, 11:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51075
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoDave1

PhotoDave1 is offline IP: 75.172.240.228

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenE View Post
a website?

I had a commercial customer who needed an image for a website so I looked at the existing images on the site. They were headshots and the size was 1.667 in x 2.5 in x 72 ppi.

I sent them a headshot that was 4 in x 5 in x 100ppi, so they could resize it.

I get an email from the people and they said they need a high resolution image because the one I sent was too small and it is grainy when they resize (downsize) it. I resized one to the exact dimensions of the existing images and it looks just fine.

Question? Am I not understanding how to take an image much larger (than required) and making it smaller, or is it their web person? How can an image as large as I sent be grainy when they make such a small thumbnail?
Ben, from all that I have learned what they are asking for is impossible. When your client sent you the 1.6 x 2.5 @72 DPI image they pretty much sent you an unuseable image that has had all of the detail stripped out of it.

Think about it, 1.6 x 2.5 is about the size of a postage stamp and 72 DPI is the resolution you use to save images for the internet and they are asking you to increase the resolution to 100 DPI (in other words put back information that isn't there) and increase the size as well (ie, stretch what information is there by a factor of four)?

Remember the days of film and Velvia from a pro shop vs Kodak film from the corner drug store? It is the same thing. You can go smaller or to a lower resolution but it is next to impossible to go higher. I hope this answers your question.
deallen313@yahoo.com
Skype IM: DAllen3031
Twitter: ThePhotoPro1
Web Page: www.flickr.com/photos/3031photography/
Gear: Canon EOS 40D w/Grip + EOS 1N w/Grip; Tamron 28-70mm F2.8; Tamron 70-200 F2.8; Canon 430EXll
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoDave1 Visit PhotoDave1's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotoDave1

Old 06-16-2010, 08:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 64.185.5.85

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoDave1 View Post
Ben, from all that I have learned what they are asking for is impossible. When your client sent you the 1.6 x 2.5 @72 DPI image they pretty much sent you an unuseable image that has had all of the detail stripped out of it.

========
Thanks Dave.

I probably did not explain this as I should have. I will try again.

Customer was sent a 4x5x100 size head shot because they want to re-size it themselves for the web (downsize it actually).

All they need, for the web site is a 1.667 x 2.5 x 72, but as I say, they said they prefer to do the downsizing themselves.

After I sent the 4x5x100, they said it was too small to reduce to the 1.667 x 2.5 x72, and it is too grainy when they do so.

What you said is exactly my point. All they need is a little postage stamp size image, but say they need a high resolution image for that.

That is what does not make sense. How can they cause it to be grainy when they are actually downsizing it that much?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE

Old 06-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51075
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoDave1

PhotoDave1 is offline IP: 75.172.240.228

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenE View Post
Thanks Dave.

I probably did not explain this as I should have. I will try again.

Customer was sent a 4x5x100 size head shot because they want to re-size it themselves for the web (downsize it actually).

All they need, for the web site is a 1.667 x 2.5 x 72, but as I say, they said they prefer to do the downsizing themselves.

After I sent the 4x5x100, they said it was too small to reduce to the 1.667 x 2.5 x72, and it is too grainy when they do so.

What you said is exactly my point. All they need is a little postage stamp size image, but say they need a high resolution image for that.

That is what does not make sense. How can they cause it to be grainy when they are actually downsizing it that much?
Ben,

It is not so much the size that is the source of the problem it is the resolution. Without seeing the source image I can't say why it is grainy but it may have been taken with one of those disposable digital cameras for all I know or perhaps the settings were not right on the camera that was used to make the source image, or maybe since you indicate that your client "prefer to do the downsizing themselves" whoever is doing it doesn't know how to do it. I can go on and on but without seeing the source image I can't give you usable answers.

What you may want to do is, if the source image is of a good quality, take the photo and scan it yourself on a flatbed scanner at 600 DPI and then reduce it. This will definitely give you a good starting point to work with.

Good luck and if you have any other questions let me know.
deallen313@yahoo.com
Skype IM: DAllen3031
Twitter: ThePhotoPro1
Web Page: www.flickr.com/photos/3031photography/
Gear: Canon EOS 40D w/Grip + EOS 1N w/Grip; Tamron 28-70mm F2.8; Tamron 70-200 F2.8; Canon 430EXll
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoDave1 Visit PhotoDave1's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotoDave1

Old 06-16-2010, 07:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 71.60.63.140

They can cause it to be grainy by being careless or by down-sizing a highly detailed image to a lower resolution. Imagine a checker board of alternating black and white pixels, at 100 pixels per inch. Now down-size that to, say, 72 pixels per inch. There's simply too much information in the 100 ppi checkboard to accurately represent it at 72 ppi; you can only approximate it.
Now, I don't know anything about your headshot, and I can't imagine it being so strongly detailed as to be grainy, but you get the idea. Did you resize your image to their specifications yourself, just to see what it looks like to you?

Old 06-16-2010, 10:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 63896

pcparrothead is offline IP: 75.130.74.81

I have not tested to see what happens, but send them the same image in the correct sizing. See what they say. Downsize your current image and see how it looks. In all honesty.....the first thing I thought of....they are trying to use the image for something else and upsizing it and not downsizing it.
You know your customer better than us, would they do something like that?
anyway...not trying to get you defensive with the customer, but I would test your downsizing your self and see how it looks. Then make a judgement from there.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to pcparrothead Find More Posts by pcparrothead

Old 06-18-2010, 09:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 216.167.157.154

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcparrothead View Post
I have not tested to see what happens, but send them the same image in the correct sizing. See what they say. Downsize your current image and see how it looks. In all honesty.....the first thing I thought of....they are trying to use the image for something else and upsizing it and not downsizing it.
You know your customer better than us, would they do something like that?
anyway...not trying to get you defensive with the customer, but I would test your downsizing your self and see how it looks. Then make a judgement from there.
I was wondering about whether they were trying to make it larger myself. As far as knowing the customer? Who really knows what goes on in an office. Maybe the guy talked the girl,who contacted me, into asking for a high resolution image so he could have one printed. He is a good looking guy, so maybe he can get the girls to do whatever he wants. (joking)

I do know that most everyone from this same organization has asked me if they get either an original high resolution file of it they get a copy of the print.

Funny.. the individuals pay nothing, but yet want something for free.

I did resize it to the exact same size as what they have on their website, and sent that one also. I asked them what software they were using, but so far they have not replied.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 63896

pcparrothead is offline IP: 75.130.74.81

Good luck....I am interesting to see what follow up they give.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to pcparrothead Find More Posts by pcparrothead