Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Time For A Change
Old 03-26-2010, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51075
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoDave1

PhotoDave1 is offline IP: 97.117.251.62

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Well, after years and years of fighting with, putting up with, and dealing with the WinTel madness I am at the point where I can no longer stand it anymore and am going to make the change to Apple computers. I have been doing a fair amount of research and like everything I see so far. At this point I am beginning to wonder what in the heck took me so long to come to my senses and do this.

From what I am seeing it looks as if all of my programs and equipment will migrate over to an Apple computer with a minimum of headaches. I think I will have to replace one or two programs but they are older and an upgrade will be welcome. I am looking specifically at the PowerMac "G" series computers since I just can't get excited about or take seriously some of the lesser computers that Apple has like the IMac mini and some of the others Apple has out there.

From what I have found out the PowerMac G5 is the current offering and the prices I am seeing on used equipment appear to be quite good. A little higher that a PC but considering I am getting a better piece of equipment I can easily justify the extra money. I am also seeing PowerMac G4 computers out there at very good prices and I am wondering if they are worth considering or should I pay the extra money and get the latest, the G5?

Also, and hints, tips, advice and other items of help that can be offered on my new adventure will be greatly appreciated. I am especially interested in hearing about pitfalls or gotcha's that I am not yet aware of and may want to factor into my planning.

Thanks to all in advance for the help and I will keep you apprised of my progress.
deallen313@yahoo.com
Skype IM: DAllen3031
Twitter: ThePhotoPro1
Web Page: www.flickr.com/photos/3031photography/
Gear: Canon EOS 40D w/Grip + EOS 1N w/Grip; Tamron 28-70mm F2.8; Tamron 70-200 F2.8; Canon 430EXll
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoDave1 Visit PhotoDave1's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotoDave1

Re: Time For A Change
Old 03-26-2010, 09:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41719
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to srwatters Send a message via Yahoo to srwatters

srwatters is offline IP: 71.123.223.68

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

The G series Power Macs are quite old and still use the IBM risc processor. What you want is the Mac Pro. I just bought a used dual quad core 3.0GHz Xeon based system with 8GB of RAM for $1350. I now own two of these systems, one for the studio and one on my desk for editing. I have been completely Mac now since 2005 and have been very happy with the change.

Know that Apple should be releasing a newer faster version of the Power Mac soon, so even today's models will be available on the used market at greatly reduced prices.

Good luck and welcome to the light!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to srwatters Visit srwatters's homepage! Find More Posts by srwatters

Old 03-27-2010, 12:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Oddly Irritating

Member GG#: 35404
Comments: 2

ErnieR is offline IP: 70.128.1.151

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoDave1 View Post
PowerMac "G" series
Is this a server hiccup where this is a post that was actually made 4 years ago? The G5's are way out of date (but still good computers if you get enough ram in them). Anything that has Power in the name uses the IBM processor.
The new Intel based iMac 27 inch is a truly sweet computer, get a time capsule backup and you are all set. Especially because the latest OS is even more streamlined than the previous Mac OS's, it's fast and lean.

Anyway, your biggest problem will be migrating your email from the PC to the Mac if you use Outlook. The Mac mail program won't import anything from Outlook, but if you get MS Office for Mac, It's mail program called Entourage will.

My Website
My Photo Blog
My Photo Diary
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ErnieR Visit ErnieR's homepage! Find More Posts by ErnieR

Old 03-27-2010, 10:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51075
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoDave1

PhotoDave1 is offline IP: 97.117.251.62

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieR View Post
Is this a server hiccup where this is a post that was actually made 4 years ago? The G5's are way out of date (but still good computers if you get enough ram in them). Anything that has Power in the name uses the IBM processor.
The new Intel based iMac 27 inch is a truly sweet computer, get a time capsule backup and you are all set. Especially because the latest OS is even more streamlined than the previous Mac OS's, it's fast and lean.

Anyway, your biggest problem will be migrating your email from the PC to the Mac if you use Outlook. The Mac mail program won't import anything from Outlook, but if you get MS Office for Mac, It's mail program called Entourage will.
Ernie & Scott:

Thanks for your comments and no Ernie, this is not a server hiccup or a blackhole of some sort. I did my research based on what I know and obviously my information was a bit dated.

I have bought a PowerMac G5 and yes it is loaded with RAM and everything else and so far I am doing well in getting to know the computer. I have it set up downstairs on my dining room table while I load programs and get used to it but before the weekend is out I will move it to my office upstairs and use the WinTel box for target practice. I picked up the G5 at a very good price and the guy I bought it from spent an hour demoing it for me so I think I got a good computer. Maybe later I will upgrade to the latest MAC but for now I think I am fine.

This new computer seems, at least to me, to be just as fast as the WinTel box I have upstairs and my WinTel box although loaded is about 3 years old so they are probably very close in age.

Oh, and just so you know, I don't use Outlook. I haven't used Outlook for my emails, calendar, and contacts for probably ten years. I use the HTML based email programs like YMail and Gmail so I can stay in touch while I am travelling and I have never felt like I am missing anything by not using Outlook.

Again, thanks for your comments and I will keep everyone advised as I progress in my journey.
deallen313@yahoo.com
Skype IM: DAllen3031
Twitter: ThePhotoPro1
Web Page: www.flickr.com/photos/3031photography/
Gear: Canon EOS 40D w/Grip + EOS 1N w/Grip; Tamron 28-70mm F2.8; Tamron 70-200 F2.8; Canon 430EXll
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoDave1 Visit PhotoDave1's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotoDave1
Last edited by PhotoDave1; 03-27-2010 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: Sp

Old 03-27-2010, 10:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Oddly Irritating

Member GG#: 35404
Comments: 2

ErnieR is offline IP: 70.128.1.151

Cool, if you need upgrades for it I recommend these guys. http://www.macsales.com/ They know mac's... just tell them what you have and what you would like to do and they will provide you with the best solution. Everything that is in my Mac's that didn't come from Apple, came from them.

Did you get the system disks for the computer? There are maintenance programs on them that are useful. Put the disk in hold down the "C" key to boot from the CD. In the menu select disk utility and you can verify and repair the permissions on your boot disk.

Ernie

My Website
My Photo Blog
My Photo Diary
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ErnieR Visit ErnieR's homepage! Find More Posts by ErnieR