Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Flight Concerns/Carry on's
Old 01-01-2010, 08:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35225
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to BobH Send a message via MSN to BobH

BobH is offline IP: 24.115.179.4

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Any advice on taking photo equipment on board as a "Carry-on" or in "checked baggage"? Its been a while since I've flown.. Thanks in advance.......
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BobH Find More Posts by BobH

Re: Flight Concerns/Carry on's
Old 01-01-2010, 10:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42284

icuphotography is offline IP: 74.193.21.245

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I use my new Thinktank camera bag rollon. Its the best designed bag I have ever seen or imagined.

My only issue is the occassional connector flight on smaller jets. But thanks to a kind flight attendant I found it will fit in the front compartment they use for larger bags when the overheads (very small on these planes) won't cut it.

Otherwise, I have had no more problem with it now then before. Of course I have not flown since the Underwear Bomber so no telling what irrational bull---- they have come up with now.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 205.250.55.248

My understanding of the current restrictions (even worse than before) is meant to be a temporary thing. Of course "temporary" is relative thing. Soon enough we won't be able to bring anything on board...and no shoes, no underwear! THAT would make for some very interesting sights!

Of course the way to get around all of this is to just not fly into the States. I don't think the restrictions are as much in the other countries of the world.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 63560

nudephotopro is offline IP: 78.156.64.204

I use a Kata R-103 which is a good bag for carry on purposes. I actually wrote a blog entry about camera bags a while back which touches on this subject:

http://www.nudephotopro.com/blog/200...-photographer/
  View Public Profile Send a private message to nudephotopro Visit nudephotopro's homepage! Find More Posts by nudephotopro

Old 01-07-2010, 09:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 64230

c.td is offline IP: 68.144.52.50

well at my security job, one of my coworkers is does airport security, and if its a flight over the us, from or to, no bags are aloud on other then a purse, or diaper bag ( for baby's) and it has to be smaller then 8X11
  View Public Profile Send a private message to c.td Find More Posts by c.td

Old 01-08-2010, 08:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
Comments: 1
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 96.27.144.221

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.td View Post
well at my security job, one of my coworkers is does airport security, and if its a flight over the us, from or to, no bags are aloud on other then a purse, or diaper bag ( for baby's) and it has to be smaller then 8X11
The above information is wrong. While flying in the US you can still have one personal item, (purse, brief case, diaper bag, ect.) as well as one carry on, which must fit in the overhead bin or under the seat. This is on US airways and Southwestern. Different airlines may have different regulations.

www.hhphoto.net
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper

Old 01-08-2010, 08:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 63560

nudephotopro is offline IP: 78.156.64.204

In Europe I think you can store one bag in the overhead compartment, which in this case would be your camera bag and have one small personal item. Although security has been especially strict lately for obvious reasons, I don't think there has been any change in the size of items allowed onboard.

The main reason that I opted for the Kata was that it's size matched international carry on limitations. I have an old Tenba and a CCS which are both good bags, but neither one of them falls within the size limitations for carry on luggage. Some airlines are more tolerant than others but none are prohibiting baggage within those international limits as far as I know.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to nudephotopro Visit nudephotopro's homepage! Find More Posts by nudephotopro

Old 01-08-2010, 08:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55352
Comments: 14

Stecyk is offline IP: 68.146.42.57

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfharper View Post
The above information is wrong. While flying in the US you can still have one personal item, (purse, brief case, diaper bag, ect.) as well as one carry on, which must fit in the overhead bin or under the seat. This is on US airways and Southwestern. Different airlines may have different regulations.
C.td lives in Canada and was perhaps referring to flights going to the U.S. You need to differentiate between flights within the U.S., and flights starting outside and going to the U.S.

Your best bet is to go the your airline's web page and obtain the latest information.

Canada's WestJet, similar to America's SouthWest, has the following:

http://www.westjet.com/

The Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) has implemented a "No carry-on baggage policy" for all flights from Canada to the United States.

Guests travelling to the United States are not permitted to take any carry-on baggage; however, each guest will be permitted one of the following personal items:

Personal item
Maximum Weight
Maximum Size
  • Diaper bag
  • Diplomatic bag
  • Consular bag
  • Camera bag
  • Musical instruments
10 kgs
(22lbs)
55 cm x 23 cm x 40 cm
(21.5 in x 9 in x 15.5 in)
  • Small purse
  • Laptop computer in a briefcase style bag (backpack style not permitted)
10 kgs
(22lbs)
43 cm x 16 cm x 33 cm
(16.5 in x 6 in x 13 in)
  • One animal in a carry-on kennel
10 kgs
(22lbs)
40 cm x 44 cm x 21.5 cm
(16" L x 17.5" W x 8.5" H)

Medication or medical devices, special needs items (such as crutches, canes, and walkers or containers carrying life sustaining items) are permitted in addition to one of the above personal items, and do not have size or weight restrictions.

This is as of the morning of 8 January 2010. When you read this message, the conditions might have changed.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Stecyk Visit Stecyk's homepage! Find More Posts by Stecyk

Old 01-08-2010, 06:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 64230

c.td is offline IP: 68.144.52.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfharper View Post
what i ment was flights into. sorry for lack of info i was in a rush, going to work, but yea i live in Canada
  View Public Profile Send a private message to c.td Find More Posts by c.td