Photo Tips Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
ICC question again
Old 06-10-2003, 11:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35360
Comments: 0

Clint is offline IP: 65.145.37.26

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I just bought a new monitor and ran the adobe gamma thingy. But when I open my 10D images (shot in Adobe RGB) in photoshop it says that my current workspace is the sRGB number number number decimal point number space.

Did I do something wrong? I have rerun the Gamman thing three times now and everything looks good to me, and even when I send them to printroom.com the soft proof comes back looking like it is supposed to.

View Public Profile Send a private message to Clint Visit Clint's homepage! Find More Posts by Clint

Re: ICC question again
Old 06-10-2003, 11:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35621

Richie is offline IP: 65.70.29.42

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Clint, it means that the color management in Photoshop is set for the sRGB color space. You need to change it back to Adobe 1998 in the preferences.

-Richie
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Richie Find More Posts by Richie

AH I am a dumb@ss
Old 06-11-2003, 12:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Clint is offline IP: 65.145.37.26

Thanks Richie!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Clint Visit Clint's homepage! Find More Posts by Clint

Old 06-11-2003, 08:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35679
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Soujrnr Send a message via Yahoo to Soujrnr

Soujrnr is offline IP: 64.222.236.136

Speaking of Fotoshaap, does anyone use any of the color management options in the color settings options? Mine are all currently set to OFF. And what about all those other crytpic settings, such as the CMYK, Spot, and Gray work spaces? Anyone have a clue what those should be set at in order for me to maximize my PS experience? (jeez, sounds like a shampoo or body wash commercial) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Good day!

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Old 06-11-2003, 10:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 129.42.208.182

Cant say it enough....go buy Real World Photoshop 7.0 by Bruce Frasier Book is incrediable and aimed at digital photography as well as a pretty comprehensive section on color management especially in conjunction with photoshop and digital images.

Rick Shellhouse
Body Visions

Old 06-11-2003, 10:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Thanks Rick! I'll check it out!

Good day!

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Printers, the web and sRGB
Old 06-11-2003, 10:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
GG_Staff

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 67.85.66.65

Before you go changing everything, you should really understand what you are changing. Get the book Cadvridoc mentions down below. Also, most printers print in sRGB these days so before you send something out to print, convert it to sRGB until you understand what you are doing. Also, when saving to the web, if your image is not in the sRGB color space, the image will appear to loose color when you "save for web". Convert to the sRGB and it will be fine.

Re: Printers, the web and sRGB
Old 06-11-2003, 11:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

That's very interesting! Thanks for pointing that out. I just changed my color settings in PS to Adobe 1998. I guess I'm going to have to really read up on all this techno-babble and see what is happening. My understanding is that the color palette for Adobe 1998 is much more extensive than sRGB. I know that most monitors share similar phosphor chromaticities and that sRGB specifications use a monitor with a gamma of 2.2 and 6,500 degree Kelvin white point. sRGB will allow color to be reproduced and displayed in a single, unified method that provides for viewing consistency from monitor to monitor. That being said, I don't know how Adobe 1998 fits into the overall scheme as far as consistency across multiple platforms (monitors, scanners, printers, etc.) is concerned. Don't minilabs still use the sRGB standard and has anyone every done a test to see how different a file will be printed out when using both standards? Is there a vast difference and, if so, is it for the worse? Inquiring minds (mine anyway) want to know because I've just signed on with a new lab and would like to ensure that my software is set correctly in order to get the best proofs/finished products back. They have sent me their calibration software and perhaps this will solve the issue. I'm not sure though. Thanks.

Good day!

Mike

Calibration
Old 06-11-2003, 09:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
GG_Staff

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 67.85.66.65

Your images will only be as color corrected as your monitor is color corrected. Adobe Gamma ONLY calibrates your monitor it doesn't Profile your monitor. By that it means, you monitor will have the correct brightness/contrast but it doesn't mean the color red you see is exactly the correct shade of red you are supposed to see. For that you need something like the Spyder Optical (less than $300 I think - I have one). If your lab is giving you a file, they are most likeing giving your their printer profile that you can use to proof your image on the screen as it would look coming off their printer. Now if your monitor is not profiled, you won't see it exactly as it would come out (technically you won't see it exactly anyway just close). If you work in sRGB until you fully understand this, you will save yourself LOTS of headache. A year or so ago when I was trying to learn this, there wasn't that much information available. Now there are plenty of places you can get the information. Start with that book that was recommended. The book I read was called Photoshop Color Correction (a white book, smaller in size than the other book mentioned).

Lab uses ICC profiles
Old 06-11-2003, 10:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Clint is offline IP: 65.148.8.14

and suggest that if I shoot in Adobe RGB, then send it to them the same way. They just started this, and appearantly spent a chunck of change on a system that recognizes different ICC profiles.

If I shoot in sRGB will I notice a big difference? That is if I set the default color space to sRGB in photoshop. I have noticed that when I open my images shot with the 10D (adobe rgb) in Paint Shop Pro, I loose alot of shadow detail. And the images become grainy. but when I open them in Photoshop or illustrator, everything looks good.