Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Focusing and then recomposing...
Old 08-02-2009, 11:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 43840
Comments: 2
Send a message via ICQ to moscato_images Send a message via AIM to moscato_images Send a message via Yahoo to moscato_images

moscato_images is offline IP: 98.214.75.37

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tonight I wrote a blog post about the possible error in tilting the camera to focus on a subject and then tilting the camera back to recompose the image. We see many do this and those of us who don't still may from time to time.

I wanted to share the idea in the case someone doesn't know this information to which it may improve their images.

Here is the link:Why focusing and recomposing is a not-so-great habit in photography.

...and if you already read my blog, I thank you very very much. Keep shooting friends!

-joshua
BLOG MAIN PAGE - Caution, photography in Progress!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to moscato_images Visit moscato_images's homepage! Find More Posts by moscato_images

Re: Focusing and then recomposing...
Old 08-03-2009, 10:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 61836
Comments: 0
My Mood:

AristonPhotog is offline IP: 66.146.52.98

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Good post and good points. This effect is more dramatic when using a wide angle lens and lens dramatic at longer focal lengths. Additionally shooting at very narrow apertures like f/9 - f/11 will have less effect since the depth of field is greater.

Good points to think of though. I shoot with a D300 which allows me to move the focus point to the top. I have also heard it rumored, however, that the focus points on the perimeter of the center are less sensitive than the center focus point. In the end it's all a matter of trial and error. I'd rather just move the focus point so I avoid having to recompose.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to AristonPhotog Visit AristonPhotog's homepage! Find More Posts by AristonPhotog

Old 08-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 43840
Comments: 2
Send a message via ICQ to moscato_images Send a message via AIM to moscato_images Send a message via Yahoo to moscato_images

moscato_images is offline IP: 98.214.75.37

I agree. I move my red box. Only sometimes I'm in a hurry and slack into the old habit of tilting. Not always bad, but sometimes. Good point on wide angle versus long, I didn't even mention this.
-joshua
  View Public Profile Send a private message to moscato_images Visit moscato_images's homepage! Find More Posts by moscato_images

Old 08-23-2009, 01:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 63560

nudephotopro is offline IP: 78.33.71.234

Many a photographer has fallen into that trap over the years. There are times when shooting at say F16 in the studio where you might get away with it thanks to depth of field but nevertheless it's a habit which is best avoided.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to nudephotopro Visit nudephotopro's homepage! Find More Posts by nudephotopro

Old 08-23-2009, 05:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 72.181.39.183

When you keep the camera perpendicular to the subject, grab your focus on the eyes, then move your position up and down without moving your camera distance from your subject, the eyes will still be in focus--I focus and compose in this manner, works all the time. You're saying you're tilting the camera up "X" degrees, then moving it back to compose, big difference if the "up and down" is perfectly vertical. FYI--most cameras don't have the focusing spot where you need it, the eyes, for preferred cropping. Some cameras also will tell you in the owner's manual that the sharpest point is the center point, not the other points. Just my two cents worth, all the best, rg sends!
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 08-24-2009, 12:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 75.157.209.152

You make a good point, even more so if you're dealing with a small DOF. However somewhere I read that you should get the focus on the subject and then back off a bit. How it was put is that the focal plane in the acceptable distance of 'in focus' is 1/3 of the distance. From your illustration rotating (not tilting) back to a more horizontal position moves the DOF back behind the subject.

Of course, with these old(ish) eyes of mine I can't tell and trying to see if the shot was in focus on the screen of my 20D is damn difficult. It's not until I get home that I see most of my shots are 'soft'. Of course I'd like to blame that on the camera and lens.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 62139
Send a message via AIM to markarcaro Send a message via Skype™ to markarcaro

markarcaro is offline IP: 74.79.32.23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandogomez View Post
When you keep the camera perpendicular to the subject, grab your focus on the eyes, then move your position up and down without moving your camera distance from your subject, the eyes will still be in focus--I focus and compose in this manner, works all the time. You're saying you're tilting the camera up "X" degrees, then moving it back to compose, big difference if the "up and down" is perfectly vertical. FYI--most cameras don't have the focusing spot where you need it, the eyes, for preferred cropping. Some cameras also will tell you in the owner's manual that the sharpest point is the center point, not the other points. Just my two cents worth, all the best, rg sends!
Thats the way I want to focus! Its has gotten me in trouble before.. I would focus on the and recompose and the belly would be focused and not the face... I thought it was the camera. It was most likely me.

So I started using the focus points and its a pain. Its never where you need it (the eyes) and I have to crop every image when I'm done unless I leave the extra space around the picture I needed to achieve the focus point...

So I wanted to know, I have a 1d mkII and a 1ds. and Im using evalulative metering mode, with back focus button (*) to focus lock with usually top focus point when I shoot sidways.

Do you use evaluative metering? and Just set default front shutter half down recompose and go? I think that is so much easier and less confusing.

Thanks
  View Public Profile Send a private message to markarcaro Find More Posts by markarcaro

Old 09-12-2009, 08:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57919
Comments: 1

kgphoto is offline IP: 75.31.104.161

Don't forget, to have your camera checked for focusing errors. The newer cameras have a correction capability for in the field use built in. The older models need to be sent in.

This is especially true when working at shallow apertures.

Michael Tapes has a device to use to test your camera and lens combination. It is called Lens Align.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kgphoto Find More Posts by kgphoto

Old 09-12-2009, 06:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55352
Comments: 14

Stecyk is offline IP: 68.146.42.57

I believe the second diagram is wrong.

In the first diagram, the person's eyes are 6' (or 72") away. For the sake of this discussion, I will assume that the camera is tilted at 20 degrees up from the horizontal. The 72" is the hypotenuse of a triangle.

In the second diagram, the distance between the camera and the person is shown as 6'4" (76"). I believe that's wrong. The distance should be 72" times cos 20 degrees, or 67.66". The plane that is in focus is behind the person by 4.34" (=72-67.66). So you need to back up 4.34 inches to have the person in the proper plane. Or alternatively, have the person back up 4.34 inches.

In the diagrams as shown everything is out of focus, not just the eyes. Anyway, if you tilt your camera position, you need to compensate.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Stecyk Visit Stecyk's homepage! Find More Posts by Stecyk

Old 09-13-2009, 12:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 59332

Ken Burns is offline IP: 69.68.82.207

There is a major flaw in your theory. According to your diagrams, recomposing causes a focus shift of 4". This is not true. Once the lens is set to a focus distance of 6', it doesn't matter where the camera is then pointed, the focus plane will still be 6' away. To shift the focus plane, a change in lens focus setting would have to be made.
  View Public Profile Find More Posts by Ken Burns