Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Doing Black&White on Photoshop
Old 06-24-2009, 01:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 58572
Comments: 0

smtalha is offline IP: 90.200.180.70

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi,
Can anyone guide me as to how I can achieve a nice rich monochrome, BW photo that look like the ones one would find in fashion magazines.

I've tried converting RGB in to Dutone/monotone etc but I cant seem to get the right combination to get my photos look professional.

By the way, on the topic of Monotone and duotone, can someone also guide me as to how to achieve a nice rich duotone green as well (fashion magazine style) without lossing the luminocity. Cheers
  View Public Profile Send a private message to smtalha Find More Posts by smtalha

Re: Doing Black&White on Photoshop
Old 06-24-2009, 05:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37608

Mark_Oehler is offline IP: 173.22.219.19

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

one of the best B&W conversions I have found is with the Nik Silver Efex Pro. You can get a free trial at NikSoftware.com.

Mark
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Mark_Oehler Visit Mark_Oehler's homepage! Find More Posts by Mark_Oehler

Old 06-24-2009, 05:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 63188
My Mood:

ChiCho is offline IP: 69.74.217.155

I usually go to Channel Mixer and play with the different shades of grey for the clothing, skin, background.. It gives you ALOT more control over the over composition...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ChiCho Find More Posts by ChiCho

Old 07-17-2009, 12:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 63381

perch is offline IP: 76.25.24.6

Here's what gets me a good result for most of my BW conversions.

You'll add 2 new adjustment layers. Both of them will be Hue/Saturation. For the one on the top you will simply desaturate and leave the blending mode on normal.

For the layer between your image and your desaturation layer mentioned above, you will want to set the blending mode to "Color" and then adjust the Hue. Just move that hue back and forth and you will see that the results will eventually please you.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to perch Find More Posts by perch

Old 08-11-2009, 11:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 63516

jilkha is offline IP: 119.152.39.34

i have seen camera that can take black and white photos. you have to search about that thing. i hope it should be helpful for you.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jilkha Find More Posts by jilkha

Old 08-12-2009, 09:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55764
My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 216.167.157.142

I must be doing it all wrong.

I just desaturate and then adjust the contrast and brightness.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE

Old 08-13-2009, 11:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35541

photoaz is offline IP: 76.25.94.81

One of the great things about Photoshop is that there is always about a dozen ways to do something. The thing that drives me crazy about Photoshop is that always seems to be about dozen ways to do something.

I do not like in camera conversions to Black and White because there is no one setting that will work great for both people and landscapes. Plus once the conversion is done you don't have a color image to go back to.

Here is what might work well for those who want to do black and white with more control.

Starting with a well exposed color image (RAW or Jpeg) add an adjustment layer for any conversion. Then you always have a color image to go back to for any reason.

(These tips also work with Photoshop Elements, The exception being the Black and White adjustment layer. However in Elements under Enhance is Black and White adjustment which does the same thing. Just be sure to have a copy of the color image or a second Background copy layer for the conversion)

Any adjustment layer works off of the image below it. So in the case of Black and White it is working off the COLOR image below. Just doing a desaturation of the colors is really one of the lowest common denominators of making an image black and white. All Photoshop is going to do is look at how bright or dark a color is and give it a gray value. This is the same thing that is going on with an in camera setting of Black and White.

So what can be done? In the old days of film we would put color filters in front of the lens and using black and white film get different looks. Red filters would give us a dark sky and deep contrast with landscapes. Think Ansel Adams running around a national park kind of look. For people we would put a green filter on the camera and get really nice skin tones.

You can still see these effect just by going to Channels and looking at the RGB channels of Red, Green, Blue and how they make the image look. You can even just use one of these channels for your Black and White look or as a good starting point.

So getting back to the Adjustment Layer for more control over the image click on that little Circle that is half black and white and look for Hue and Saturation. As mentioned eariler you can add two of them to the image. The top one is just to desaturat the image with pulling the slider all the way to the left. Then go to the middle one, click on the colorize box and move the Hue slider back and forth. What you are doing is just putting a million different color filters on your image for any look that appeals to you. You can move the saturation slider to increase or decrease this affect.

If you have CS 3 or 4 then you have an even more powerful way to change the look of your image. It is the Black and White Adjustment layer. With this you have a number of preset filters you can use and a number of sliders for changing the look of the colors under it for darker or lighter tones. However just like a late night commerical for the Chop Wow "Wait there is more!". If you move your cursor over the image and click and drag you can lighten or darken the tones under it for even more control in just those tones. As I noted this is not in Photoshop Elements but outside of the cool cursor effect you can move the sliders for more of global effect and it has some pretty nice presets too.

I hope this helps

Old 08-13-2009, 08:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57919
Comments: 1

kgphoto is offline IP: 75.30.147.196

Quote:
Originally Posted by perch View Post
Here's what gets me a good result for most of my BW conversions.

You'll add 2 new adjustment layers. Both of them will be Hue/Saturation. For the one on the top you will simply desaturate and leave the blending mode on normal.

For the layer between your image and your desaturation layer mentioned above, you will want to set the blending mode to "Color" and then adjust the Hue. Just move that hue back and forth and you will see that the results will eventually please you.
Hey Thanks for this technique. There are other more precise and controllable techniques, but as a quick and fast, it really provides a lot of choices in very short time. I like it!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kgphoto Find More Posts by kgphoto

Old 08-13-2009, 08:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57919
Comments: 1

kgphoto is offline IP: 75.30.147.196

Photaz,

The Channel method is the way I do those that I need more control. In fact, you can do a cmyk and LAB adjustment layers so it gives you almost 9 different ways to tweak one image.

I also like Silver Effects by Nik Software too. Tim Waldens B/W pallet is great for those who don't want to get too techy, but still want to look great.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kgphoto Find More Posts by kgphoto

Old 08-21-2009, 03:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 63560

nudephotopro is offline IP: 78.33.71.234

I don't know what version of Photoshop you are using but in CS4 you can just create a black & white adjustment layer then you have that wonderfully clever little pointer tool which allows you to pick a certain tone on the actual image and slide left or right to drag similar tones darker or brighter. You can also add subtle toning from inside the same panel. It also includes the equivalent of the colour filters used in black & white film photography to alter certain tones.

Given some time and practice there is very little that cannot be achieved using adjustment layers.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to nudephotopro Visit nudephotopro's homepage! Find More Posts by nudephotopro