Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Shooting a wedding
Old 05-04-2009, 09:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 47251
Comments: 0
My Mood:

Zakd is offline IP: 79.101.78.219

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi,
I realy need your suggestions and help about my next shooting that I agreed. It is about wedding that I agree but haven't done it before, ussually I do studio work.
I need help how I should make a propriate exposure with flash that could be mounted on camera and also I have off-camera shoe to mount it and to trigger with wireless trigger and to mix with natural light.
How you measure exposure when there will be mix of natural light and flash.
Should I first measure the natural light and then and Flash?
Do you use manual adjustment with the flash or you use some of the priority shooting mode?
I will use canon350D and I have canon 430EX and Metz 54zi.

Can I use lightmeter when I have mix of natural ligh and flash.
I thank you in advance.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Zakd Find More Posts by Zakd

Re: Shooting a wedding
Old 05-04-2009, 11:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37608

Mark_Oehler is offline IP: 173.22.219.19

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

You certainly can use a meter with ambient and flash lighting. What kind of meter do you have?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Mark_Oehler Visit Mark_Oehler's homepage! Find More Posts by Mark_Oehler

Old 05-04-2009, 01:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37855
Comments: 1

TomRobin is offline IP: 141.149.181.228

Oh Boy,
A wedding is lots different than studio. With a studio, you probably have everything set up the way you like it and have tested the lighting, etc. on numerous occasions. You don't have that luxury with a wedding. Aside from photos before the wedding and 'formal' photos after the wedding, things can happen pretty fast. Unless you have an assistant, working with multiple lights can be cumbersome. Here are some (I think) good tips.

1. Check out the location before the wedding, and preferably about the same time that the wedding will take place. That way you can judge ambient light, find locations for portraits, know where to be, etc.

2. You only get one chance. Make sure you have a backup for everything -- camera, lens, batteries, film/memory cards, etc.

3. At the wedding & reception, check with the wedding planner or DJ/announcer to make sure you know the sequence of events for the day and make sure they notify you to be there.

4. NEVER drink during a job (wedding), because 'Aunt Mary from Kentucky' will point out every bad pose or photo and remind the bride about the booze.

5. Make friends with one of the wedding party or close friend of the couple so you can ask about people attending the event. This way you don't miss the important relatives visiting from out of town, etc.

6. Get a bracket (I use a Stroboframe) that will position your flash 8-12 inches above the lens (4-5 inches higher than the shoe flash). This will keep the flash directly over the lens and minimize shadows cast by the subject. Nothing is worse than a shoe mounted flash with the camera turned vertical and a big dark shadow on one side or the other.

7. Did I mention back up all of your equipment?

8. Assist another photographer at a couple weddings OR attend weddings and follow the photographer around. You will pick up some neat tricks.

9. Lighting? Shooting RAW will allow you to correct many cases of mixed lighting. A meter will naturally be a plus if you have time to use it. If you are using multiple flash, the auto systems from Canon, Nikon and others are incredible.

10. I try to arrange it so I eat (it can be a long day) at the same time that the newlyweds are eating. If you get served last, chances are you will skip the meal to photograph the couple as they circulate through the room.

11. Most of all: Don't forget to have fun.

--Tom
  View Public Profile Send a private message to TomRobin Visit TomRobin's homepage! Find More Posts by TomRobin

Old 05-04-2009, 02:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55764
My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 216.167.157.162

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRobin View Post
11. Most of all: Don't forget to have fun.

--Tom

Most of all, know what you are doing long before you try to shoot a wedding.

No disrespect intended, but your questions indicate you have little experience in candid type photography. (strobe on camera)

Unfortunately a forum is not the best place to seek instructions for shooting a wedding, if you do not have some experience beforehand.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE

Old 05-04-2009, 08:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57135
My Mood:

JUSTA_NEWBIE is offline IP: 208.240.202.210

i made the very same mistake you have just admitted to. I too agreed to do a wedding with no wedding experience. I thought my lenses and flashes would be more than enough. I was sadly mistaken. The lesson i learned was, YOU HAVE TO HAVE GOOD LENSES. By this i mean a good lens with a large aperature of at least 2.8. The 1.8 lenses would be much better, but seem to be llimited to primes only.
YOU WILL NEED lenses like this!( 1.8, 2.0, 2.8)
Unless you can have the wedding and reception both held in direct sunlight. inside, you need the better aperatures. There is NO WAY around that unless you have enough equipment to light the whole room, that means every corner totally lit, every time you snap a picture. and doing that would annoy all of the guests after a short while.
Great lenses, back up camera bodies, extra batteries, help getting everyone situated for pictures, etc etc etc.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JUSTA_NEWBIE Find More Posts by JUSTA_NEWBIE

Old 05-05-2009, 11:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 47251
My Mood:

Zakd is offline IP: 93.87.168.154

I have a Sekonic 358 flashmetter.
I can use 28-70L f2.8 Canon lens, no prime lens I intend to use....
... and I know it is a difficult shooting but if I do not start I will never learn and I need money to restore that I spent in equipment (for living I need money also)....I hope not to make big mistakes....

I hope with two flash off camera and one partner in shooting to help, will make solid photos with PSD work to have acceptable photos....

Thanks for help......
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Zakd Find More Posts by Zakd

Old 05-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
Comments: 1
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 96.27.144.221

Read Tom Robins post over and over. He's hit the nail right on the head. Most importantly practice, practice, practice. Well in advance of the actual wedding. You only have one chance to get it right and you don't want to be experimenting on the day of the wedding.

www.hhphoto.net
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper

Old 05-05-2009, 03:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 62289

Alec Fasani is offline IP: 86.147.200.237

Well, I'm exactly on the same situation as you Zakd.
I've been working since January on my studio. I never had any experience out of it.
Now I have two bookings for parties, one wedding and one birthday.
I need money just like you do so I've accepted both.
Honestly, I'm kind of desperate now.
I'll use the Canon 24-70mm, and I hope this is a good choice, but my problem is about lightning.

I have decided that I'll buy a speed light instead of hiring one, so that I can practice a little before the event.

What would be a good model to choose?
Is only one off camera flash enough?
I'm going to have my assistant to hold the flash gun for me, so I think the wireless models would be better.

Can someone talk about experiences with flash guns on weddings?
What kind of flash would produce flattering images day and night parties?
What about silent flash recharging?
Is it very important for weddings ceremonies or I don't have to worry about it?

I use a Canon 5D MkII

Well, good luck for you and, specially for me ;-)
I'd like to see your pics after the party.

Alec
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Alec Fasani Visit Alec Fasani's homepage! Find More Posts by Alec Fasani

Old 05-05-2009, 04:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55764
My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 216.167.157.162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Fasani View Post
Well, I'm exactly on the same situation as you Zakd.
I've been working since January on my studio. I never had any experience out of it.
Now I have two bookings for parties, one wedding and one birthday.
I need money just like you do so I've accepted both.
Honestly, I'm kind of desperate now.
I'll use the Canon 24-70mm, and I hope this is a good choice, but my problem is about lightning.

I have decided that I'll buy a speed light instead of hiring one, so that I can practice a little before the event.

What would be a good model to choose?
Is only one off camera flash enough?
I'm going to have my assistant to hold the flash gun for me, so I think the wireless models would be better.

Can someone talk about experiences with flash guns on weddings?
What kind of flash would produce flattering images day and night parties?
What about silent flash recharging?
Is it very important for weddings ceremonies or I don't have to worry about it?

I use a Canon 5D MkII

Well, good luck for you and, specially for me ;-)
I'd like to see your pics after the party.

Alec
Questions such as these are difficult to answer, in my opinion... too many variables.

If you have only one light, you will most likely get some really weird shadows, depending on where the strobe is pointed.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE

Old 05-06-2009, 07:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 62289

Alec Fasani is offline IP: 86.147.200.237

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenE View Post
Questions such as these are difficult to answer, in my opinion... too many variables.

If you have only one light, you will most likely get some really weird shadows, depending on where the strobe is pointed.
Well, now things are getting even more complicated
I was thinking about only one flash gun. Please don't tell that I have to have two to get a decent result.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Alec Fasani Visit Alec Fasani's homepage! Find More Posts by Alec Fasani