Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
JTL Lights WARNING
Old 03-10-2009, 09:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56870
Comments: 3

BobEdens is offline IP: 69.254.83.243

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

With the economy the way it is I think you all should know about my recent experience with JTL (http://www.jtlcorp.com/) I purchased one of their better lights and it quit working after less than 10,000 flashes. (its probably less than 3000 but I'll give them the benefit of a doubt)

Since I didn't know exactly how old the light was and it had no identifying marks (that should be a sign) they charged me over $80 to repair it.

Got it back and it blows a fuse every time you power it up.

I call, get an RMA again and send it back (California from Tennessee isn't cheap)

Monday the guy from JTL called me to verify the shipping address I asked him "Did you test the light?" to which he answered "Yes".

The light came today, didn't work. Checked the fuse and it was blown.

either they lied to me about testing it or put a blown fuse back after testing it. (either is a really poor way to keep customers)

I bought a fuse (over $4) and guess what, the light is exactly the same as when I sent it to them.

They sent the light back to me without fixing it and even lied about it.

please spread this around as I don't want anyone else out the money they cost me.

DO NOT BUY A JTL PRODUCT, THEIR SUPPORT IS LIES. THEY WILL COST YOU MORE TIME THAN ANY SAVINGS THEIR PRODUCTS IMPLY.

Re: JTL Lights WARNING
Old 03-10-2009, 10:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 52070
Comments: 2

LarryK is offline IP: 70.145.233.139

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I have two JTLs, they will do, but I not happy with them, if I had it to do over I would buy another brand, just got a Hensel Integra Pro, have not used it yet but I am expecting good things, I was happy with them at Rolando's workshops.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to LarryK Find More Posts by LarryK

Old 03-10-2009, 11:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57135
Comments: 0
My Mood:

JUSTA_NEWBIE is offline IP: 76.19.127.36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobEdens View Post
With the economy the way it is I think you all should know about my recent experience with JTL (http://www.jtlcorp.com/) I purchased one of their better lights and it quit working after less than 10,000 flashes. (its probably less than 3000 but I'll give them the benefit of a doubt)

Since I didn't know exactly how old the light was and it had no identifying marks (that should be a sign) they charged me over $80 to repair it.

Got it back and it blows a fuse every time you power it up.

I call, get an RMA again and send it back (California from Tennessee isn't cheap)

Monday the guy from JTL called me to verify the shipping address I asked him "Did you test the light?" to which he answered "Yes".

The light came today, didn't work. Checked the fuse and it was blown.

either they lied to me about testing it or put a blown fuse back after testing it. (either is a really poor way to keep customers)

I bought a fuse (over $4) and guess what, the light is exactly the same as when I sent it to them.

They sent the light back to me without fixing it and even lied about it.

please spread this around as I don't want anyone else out the money they cost me.

DO NOT BUY A JTL PRODUCT, THEIR SUPPORT IS LIES. THEY WILL COST YOU MORE TIME THAN ANY SAVINGS THEIR PRODUCTS IMPLY.
This might work for you like it has worked for me the passed few times i have done this.

Go to www.bbb.org and file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau

For me, within a week I had reps from the companies on the phone and emailing me trying to fix the problems and within a month i had the problems resolved and everything back to normal.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JUSTA_NEWBIE Find More Posts by JUSTA_NEWBIE

Old 03-11-2009, 07:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

BobEdens is offline IP: 66.18.61.18

good idea, I plan on doing that today. Just wanted everybody here to be warned.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50518
Comments: 1
My Mood:

That_Look_Photo is offline IP: 97.106.103.221

I have 2 JTL lights and they both had the modeling light switches go bad with in one month of each other. Another thing that I found out the hard way was if I used the light outside and had the flash connected to the camera . I would get a nasty shock from the shutter button. If I used the wireless setup I had no problems. I replaced the switches myself because when I called JTL about my problems they did not seem to want to help me out. Now they just sit on the shelf. I use a few other lights now with no problems.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photo Visit That_Look_Photo's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photo

Old 03-13-2009, 09:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

BobEdens is offline IP: 69.254.83.243

The dealer where I bought the lights is a friend. She called JTL and gave them a "piece of her mind" and they sent me a shipping label to send the light back for repair.

I'll post updates.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 62375
Comments: 0

Robopz is offline IP: 98.200.226.187

Wow... I've used their 500 & 800 series Versalights with no problems... I even bought a cheepie Everlight 3 light continuous setup from them (shooting more video now) and it actually exceeded my expectations... Course... I've not had problems... so I've never had to test customer service.

hope it works out.

d
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Robopz Find More Posts by Robopz