Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
home made backdrop stand ?
Old 01-17-2009, 08:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42194
Comments: 5
Send a message via AIM to Titan Send a message via Yahoo to Titan

Titan is offline IP: 71.205.152.135

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

So I came across a couple very inexpensive rolls of 9ft black and white seamless, and now I have to find an equally in expensive way to hang it.

I was thinking I have several options for the bar in the middle of the roll, however getting that bar up high enough to do any good is the problem.

Anyone have a suggestion for inexpensive and portable stands ?

Re: home made backdrop stand ?
Old 01-17-2009, 11:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57919
Comments: 1

kgphoto is offline IP: 69.235.139.39

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Define inexpensive?

Seriously, I would strongly recommend you don't go this route. Take the money you save on paper and buy real background stands with sand bags.

It will never be inexpensive when the background falls over and hits lights, cameras, and models.

Strong sturdy stands and sand bags. Auto poles are only about $150.00 - $200 and that is the least I would suggest.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kgphoto Find More Posts by kgphoto

Old 01-18-2009, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 63.121.234.222

Aluminum conduit from home improvement store 10' about $15, two J bolts to screw into the ceiling $1.

www.hhphoto.net
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper

Old 01-18-2009, 12:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
Comments: 0
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 76.186.39.178

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgphoto View Post
Seriously, I would strongly recommend you don't go this route. Take the money you save on paper and buy real background stands with sand bags.
While I never disagree with taking extra safety precautions, I've been using my homemade background stand for over 15 years without incident ... so you decide on your level of safety.

BACKGROUND SYSTEM
Buy two STURDY lightstands (new or used) that have a height of about 7 foot or taller (I bought mine used from another photographer but Amvona has 78" stands for about $39 each). Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a 10 foot long galvanized electrical conduit (3/4" diameter is great). Also buy two 90-degree angles for the conduit (3/4 also). Stick the 10 foot conduit into the roll of seamless. attach the 90-degree angles to each end and mount them over each light stand (the weight of the paper will keep them in place. but you can tighten the screws in the 90-degree angle if you want).

If you use a lot of different color seamless paper, you'll love how quick and easy this homemade backdrop is to change rolls. Whenever I get a new roll of seamless paper, I buy another conduit and two 90-degree angles ... stick the conduit pipe into the new paper it so it's ready to quicky mount on my light stands.

STORING SEAMLESS PAPER
As you get more an more rolls of seamless paper, you'll need a way to store all those rolls ... and at 10-feet long, they don't easily stand upright in a room with 8-foot ceilings. Here's my solution ... go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy the vertical wall mounts that are used to hold those metal utility shelves, and get several of the brackets that the shelves sit on ... but don't buy the shelves (you won't need the shelves).

Mount the vertical brackets on the center of a wall (make sure the wall is at least 10.5 foot wide), and making sure you screw the vertical mounts into the wall studs (you'll need the extra support when you add a lot of seamless paper). Since you're not putting shelves on the shelf brackets, how far apart the vertical mounts are located is up to how wide your studs are located, but I recommend about 48" (since most studs are 16" apart this works perfectly). Mount the shelf brackets onto the vertical holders and lay your seamless paper across the brackets. Tada ... you can now store all your seamless paper ... and still have florr space for other items)

Using this system, you can store two rolls of seamless paper across each of the brackets ... and you can stack as many brackets as you have room for.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Old 01-18-2009, 01:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37850
My Mood:
Send a message via MSN to JonScott Send a message via Yahoo to JonScott

JonScott is offline IP: 206.212.226.175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photomart View Post

STORING SEAMLESS PAPER
As you get more an more rolls of seamless paper, you'll need a way to store all those rolls ... and at 10-feet long, they don't easily stand upright in a room with 8-foot ceilings. Here's my solution ... go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy the vertical wall mounts that are used to hold those metal utility shelves, and get several of the brackets that the shelves sit on ... but don't buy the shelves (you won't need the shelves).

Mount the vertical brackets on the center of a wall (make sure the wall is at least 10.5 foot wide), and making sure you screw the vertical mounts into the wall studs (you'll need the extra support when you add a lot of seamless paper). Since you're not putting shelves on the shelf brackets, how far apart the vertical mounts are located is up to how wide your studs are located, but I recommend about 48" (since most studs are 16" apart this works perfectly). Mount the shelf brackets onto the vertical holders and lay your seamless paper across the brackets. Tada ... you can now store all your seamless paper ... and still have florr space for other items)

Using this system, you can store two rolls of seamless paper across each of the brackets ... and you can stack as many brackets as you have room for.
I would add to this: Buy lengths of cheapo plastic gutter. Attach the gutter to the wall brackets so that the rolls lay in the gutters, eliminating wrinkle/press points. This also means you won't have to tie the rolls down so that they won't roll off.

.:Why isn't "I like kitties" an acceptable career goal?:.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott

Old 01-18-2009, 04:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57919

kgphoto is offline IP: 69.235.86.62

Good ideas from Photomart. I, myself, stay away from those, as the bow in the paper is bad thing if you want seamless backgrounds. I can't find good heavy duty stands for less than $100 each, which is very close to the cost of a "real" background support system.

The hooks in the ceiling will work, except on location.

I don't know if the gutter will offer much help. Real studios store their rolls on end to avoid the bow and wrinkles. I finally went to 3" diameter aluminium poles, ( not cheap) and a ceiling support system that was chain driven. I kept about 4 different backgrounds plus my cove wall.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kgphoto Find More Posts by kgphoto

Old 01-18-2009, 10:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 76.186.39.178

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonScott View Post
I would add to this: Buy lengths of cheapo plastic gutter. Attach the gutter to the wall brackets so that the rolls lay in the gutters, eliminating wrinkle/press points. This also means you won't have to tie the rolls down so that they won't roll off.
Plastic gutters ... now that's a cool idea.

I've been using my rack system for about five years and my seamless paper never has wrinkles. I guess that's because the wrinkles that might come from resting on the shelf bracket only show up on the first few feet of paper and that part rarely shows.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Old 01-19-2009, 05:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42194
Comments: 5
Send a message via AIM to Titan Send a message via Yahoo to Titan

Titan is offline IP: 71.205.167.18

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I have found the solution.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37850
My Mood:
Send a message via MSN to JonScott Send a message via Yahoo to JonScott

JonScott is offline IP: 206.212.226.175

Quote:
Plastic gutters ... now that's a cool idea.

I've been using my rack system for about five years and my seamless paper never has wrinkles. I guess that's because the wrinkles that might come from resting on the shelf bracket only show up on the first few feet of paper and that part rarely shows.
Clearly, you roll your paper back up much more neatly than I do! I can never seem to get it straight and tight lol

.:Why isn't "I like kitties" an acceptable career goal?:.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott

Old 01-19-2009, 10:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Member GG#: 48779

Brennans_Photography is offline IP: 71.84.210.115

Quote:
While I never disagree with taking extra safety precautions, I've been using my homemade background stand for over 15 years without incident ... so you decide on your level of safety.

BACKGROUND SYSTEM
Buy two STURDY lightstands (new or used) that have a height of about 7 foot or taller (I bought mine used from another photographer but Amvona has 78" stands for about $39 each). Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a 10 foot long galvanized electrical conduit (3/4" diameter is great). Also buy two 90-degree angles for the conduit (3/4 also). Stick the 10 foot conduit into the roll of seamless. attach the 90-degree angles to each end and mount them over each light stand (the weight of the paper will keep them in place. but you can tighten the screws in the 90-degree angle if you want).

If you use a lot of different color seamless paper, you'll love how quick and easy this homemade backdrop is to change rolls. Whenever I get a new roll of seamless paper, I buy another conduit and two 90-degree angles ... stick the conduit pipe into the new paper it so it's ready to quicky mount on my light stands.

STORING SEAMLESS PAPER

Marty,

Could you share a couple of photos of this set up? I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Pete