Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
How to: Power Supply for Outdoor Shoot?
Old 12-28-2008, 11:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 58572
Comments: 0

smtalha is offline IP: 90.205.62.189

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi,
I'm interested in doing an outdoor photoshoot, but ive never attempted this before. So im trying to plan and get things right before hands.

Can anyone guide me through please:

How do I power my lighting equipment whilst shooting outdoors? I also have a 800w continious lighting (redhead) would my car battery be able to handle the wattage or would this be a recipe of disaster?

cheers.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to smtalha Find More Posts by smtalha

Re: How to: Power Supply for Outdoor Shoot?
Old 12-28-2008, 12:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36789
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ARTFORMS

ARTFORMS is offline IP: 24.197.124.1

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I use the Alien Bee Power Inverter with a battery to power a strobe or strobes. A gold or silver reflector still comes in handy too when the circumstances allow for them.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ARTFORMS Visit ARTFORMS's homepage! Find More Posts by ARTFORMS

Old 12-28-2008, 01:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 56509
Send a message via Yahoo to DDCStudios

DDCStudios is offline IP: 24.255.140.101

http://sim1.net/opt/sweeps.asp?s=2HU...1=NorthAmerica
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DDCStudios Visit DDCStudios's homepage! Find More Posts by DDCStudios

Old 12-28-2008, 01:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35649

tat236 is offline IP: 74.192.116.102

Try this out http://www.instructables.com/id/A-Po...Photographers/
  View Public Profile Send a private message to tat236 Visit tat236's homepage! Find More Posts by tat236

Old 12-28-2008, 05:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

cheers everyone.

Artform: of course refelectors are alway the best. one cant live without them.

DCC: i had a look at the link u recommended but they have heavey duty big generators. i was looking for something more in budget.

tat: the Power Invertor seems the sort of thing i was perhaps looking for. so basically, i plug the invertor into the battery and that would in effect create enough electricity to light the strob etc, right? is that the kinda stuff most photographer use as a portable electricity generator in general?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to smtalha Find More Posts by smtalha

Old 12-28-2008, 06:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50518
My Mood:

That_Look_Photo is offline IP: 97.106.103.221

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtalha View Post
cheers everyone.

Artform: of course refelectors are alway the best. one cant live without them.

DCC: i had a look at the link u recommended but they have heavey duty big generators. i was looking for something more in budget.

tat: the Power Invertor seems the sort of thing i was perhaps looking for. so basically, i plug the invertor into the battery and that would in effect create enough electricity to light the strob etc, right? is that the kinda stuff most photographer use as a portable electricity generator in general?
I would only power strobes with an inverter. Don't even use the modeling light or you will kill the battery real fast. And I have herd you could damage your strobe with a inverter that does not put out a pure sine wave. Most do not so be careful..
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photo Visit That_Look_Photo's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photo

Old 12-28-2008, 08:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37850
My Mood:
Send a message via MSN to JonScott Send a message via Yahoo to JonScott

JonScott is offline IP: 206.212.226.175

A PURE sine wave is not a hard and fast requirement, though the crest of the waveform should most definitely resemble more of a sine than a square.

Your car battery is designed ONLY for a high-load short duration power supply and will be toasted very quickly if you power your strobes with it, even faster with your 800 watt continuous light. Even a deep cycle battery (which is designed for long-term continuous output) won't last long because of the load.

Use the right tool for the job (a battery/inverter kit designed for lights) or do some serious research before you put something together that will ghost your lights.

.:Why isn't "I like kitties" an acceptable career goal?:.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott

Old 12-29-2008, 01:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 61767

monkeykoder is offline IP: 75.48.3.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonScott View Post
A PURE sine wave is not a hard and fast requirement, though the crest of the waveform should most definitely resemble more of a sine than a square.

Your car battery is designed ONLY for a high-load short duration power supply and will be toasted very quickly if you power your strobes with it, even faster with your 800 watt continuous light. Even a deep cycle battery (which is designed for long-term continuous output) won't last long because of the load.

Use the right tool for the job (a battery/inverter kit designed for lights) or do some serious research before you put something together that will ghost your lights.
Not to argue but I lived in a house where the main power was a small bank of car batteries (2 of them) and it lasted pretty darned well. We'd get 4+ hours of TV+lights for the hose off of that setup (using the same inverter pictured actually.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to monkeykoder Find More Posts by monkeykoder

Old 12-29-2008, 12:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

hmm

ok so using an inverter is not a good idea to power ur lighting equipment. so what is the right power supply tool? What do pros photogarohers like you use when doing an out door shoot at a reasonable cost.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Oddly Irritating

Member GG#: 35404
Comments: 2

ErnieR is offline IP: 70.128.1.151

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtalha View Post
hmm

ok so using an inverter is not a good idea to power ur lighting equipment. so what is the right power supply tool? What do pros photogarohers like you use when doing an out door shoot at a reasonable cost.
There is no such thing as location power at a reasonable cost.

Probably your best bet would be the Tronix Explorer at about $350 w/50 shipping worldwide... You can plug whatever you want into it without any problems, personally I think it's much better than the Vagabond pack.

Next option would be to rent a generator, there's one made by Honda that seems to be the preferred unit. I think it may have a voltage regulator built into it. You could also buy your own I guess for other uses I don't know how much it costs.

You can also use small hot shoe type flashes using techniques like you would find here at the Strobist blog.

My Website
My Photo Blog
My Photo Diary
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ErnieR Visit ErnieR's homepage! Find More Posts by ErnieR