Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamourô > Garage Glamourô Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Forum Posting a Sharp Image
Old 12-16-2008, 09:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 58875
Comments: 7

Hdvannjr is offline IP: 72.185.7.101

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

C'mon, what is the trick? Don't misunderstand, I am able to post a photo in a forum.There are two ways to post an image in the forums. One, click the " Your images Here for Posting," or Two, copy and paste the URL of your image. It seems though that if I copy and paste the URL image from GG, the image is a bit soft. Much softer than the original that can be found already on GG. So what it the trick? Do I have to use a web hosting site inorder to get a sharp full size image onto a forum?
David
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Hdvannjr Visit Hdvannjr's homepage! Find More Posts by Hdvannjr

Re: Forum Posting a Sharp Image
Old 12-16-2008, 10:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamourô

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 72.191.15.133

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

When hosted from our server, all images are resized and stored as we don't have control on the various sizes people choose to upload. We only have so much server space, not to mention limitations on bandwidth. If you want your version to not have so much reduction, do not upload anything larger than 600 pixels on it's largest side. Thanks, rg sends!
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 12-17-2008, 09:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51075
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoDave1

PhotoDave1 is offline IP: 66.56.6.136

What Rolando said is correct and valid but I want to add to it.

I am assuming you use Adobe PhotoShop for your post production work. Do you sharpen your images in post? What works for me is the Smart Sharpen application which adds a little bit of Gaussian Blur as well.

Also, if you use the Save For Web feature it strips out the Exif data which makes for a smaller native file size which means you can bump up the resolution a bit to get a higher quality image.

I use Save For Web and size my photos at 600 x 427 at 100 dpi and I am rarely above 100K per photo and to my eye they look acceptable sharp when I upload them to Garage Glamour or any other web site.

Give it a try.
deallen313@yahoo.com
Skype IM: DAllen3031
Twitter: ThePhotoPro1
Web Page: www.flickr.com/photos/3031photography/
Gear: Canon EOS 40D w/Grip + EOS 1N w/Grip; Tamron 28-70mm F2.8; Tamron 70-200 F2.8; Canon 430EXll
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoDave1 Visit PhotoDave1's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotoDave1

Old 12-18-2008, 10:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 69.226.47.22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoDave1 View Post
I use Save For Web and size my photos at 600 x 427 at 100 dpi...
Why 100 dpi? Isn't the web's max resolution 72 dpi?

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 12-20-2008, 10:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51075
My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoDave1

PhotoDave1 is offline IP: 66.56.6.136

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
Why 100 dpi? Isn't the web's max resolution 72 dpi?
Jimmy, I started to size my images at 100 dpi a year ago and I have never had any problems loading my photos on any sites that I participate it. I don't know if the 72 dpi is a hard and fast internet rule or just a guideline or something left over from the days of dial up but 100 dpi works for me.
deallen313@yahoo.com
Skype IM: DAllen3031
Twitter: ThePhotoPro1
Web Page: www.flickr.com/photos/3031photography/
Gear: Canon EOS 40D w/Grip + EOS 1N w/Grip; Tamron 28-70mm F2.8; Tamron 70-200 F2.8; Canon 430EXll
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoDave1 Visit PhotoDave1's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotoDave1

Old 12-20-2008, 12:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 75.157.198.124

I still, even after all these years, can't get my head around the 72 vs 96 vs 100 dpi thingy. I do know that dpi (dots/inch) relates to printing to hard copy while the ppi (pixels/inch) relates to monitor and projection output. It's my understanding that the more important thing to consider is the pixel dimensions instead. For presentation to my photoclub on projection night I resize the final image to 1024x768 (or within those dimensions) as our projector shows this size as default. I don't worry about the 72 (or whatever) ppi. As it is, my monitor screen resolution is currently set at 1280x1024 so the final image doesn't fill the whole screen...at least not on my monitor. If some has a resolution of their monitor set at 800x600 then my image is too big and they have to scroll left/right/up/down to see it all. If I were to reset my resolution to that 800x600 then I too would have difficulties in seeing all of my image. I'm not going to do that though as the change in resolution screws up my desktop icon placements (frigging Windows can't remember settings from one resolution to another....grumble!).

The main thing to remember is that if you upload something with only so many pixels (wide x high) that's all the info a monitor has to work with. I'm sure there's somewhere on the 'Net that explains this better.

Anyway, this does not answer the original question from Hdvannjr. Rolando has answered that (due to the programming of the site). However, somewhere, there is a thread from a member (newly passed on) who explains about 'selective jpg compression' (or something like that) to maintain the 'crispness' of your image. This may help?

[Hmmm, I just reread the original post and I think what he's saying is that when you've uploaded your images to your portfolio and then want to present them as an inclusion to a thread the 2 methods he talks of, both referring back to his port, have a marked difference. The one seems to do another compression of the image and thereby 'softening' the output whereas the other does not. The URL he talks of is to the image residing on GG's port server. Time for a test?]

Old 12-20-2008, 10:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 69.226.47.22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoDave1 View Post
Jimmy, I started to size my images at 100 dpi a year ago and I have never had any problems loading my photos on any sites that I participate it. I don't know if the 72 dpi is a hard and fast internet rule or just a guideline or something left over from the days of dial up but 100 dpi works for me.

I wasn't suggesting 72 as a preferred PPI. Windows only allows a monitor to display a maximum screen resolution of 72 PPI, so there's no point in saving an image for web viewing at more than 72 PPI. If it's for printing, that's another story. Saving web images at more than 72 will only cause the image to load slower without giving the visitor any increase in quality.

BTW the D in DPI refers to a Dot. Dots have to do with printing, not screen resolution. The P in PPI stands for Pixel. Since we're talking about screen resolution, we're talking about pixels, not dots.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 12-20-2008, 11:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36789
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ARTFORMS

ARTFORMS is offline IP: 24.197.124.1

No matter what dpi you save your original image it will resize it back to 72 dpi when it is displayed on any internet site. Only in Photoshop will you be able to see it at 100 dpi or some other number that it was saved at by clicking on "Print Size". If you take that same image and click on "Actual Pixels" it will show the 72 dpi version.
Some told you that you have a right to your opinion. Others said you have a right to know the facts. A few others said you have a right to remain silent. Two questions. (1) Do you know the difference between your opinions and the facts? (2) How often does someone have to tell you to shut up?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ARTFORMS Visit ARTFORMS's homepage! Find More Posts by ARTFORMS

Old 12-21-2008, 12:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTFORMS View Post
No matter what dpi you save your original image it will resize it back to 72 dpi when it is displayed on any internet site.
But this then doesn't make sense of the different ppi settings for Windows vs Apple (72 vs 96). Or is that only in regards to the actual hardware (ie. monitors)? If I use a Mac monitor on a Windows box will I be seeing it at 96 ppi instead?

[I got those figures mixed up...the Mac is 72 while the Windows is 96. I guess we go to the lowest common denominator which in this case is anyone running Macs].
Last edited by RHWeiner; 12-21-2008 at 12:08 AM.. Reason: Oooops...

Old 12-21-2008, 12:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Here's some info gleaned from another site... http://www.pictureline.com/newslette...esolution.html

Albeit that the information was posted 4 years ago but it's still relevant.

Images that will be viewed on a computer monitor such as those destined for e-mail or display on the worldwide web should be sized to a resolution of 72 ppi. This is because image pixels will be translated directly into monitor pixels. The size at which the image will actually be displayed is dependent on the size of the viewerís monitor, the monitorís resolution setting, and the actual pixel resolution of the monitor. When the image resolution is higher than the monitor resolution, the image will be displayed on screen at a larger size than the print size. For example, a 1 x 1 inch image with a resolution of 144 ppi would display as 2 x 2 inches on a 72-ppi monitor because the monitor needs 2 inches to display the 144 pixels in each inch of the image. The resolution of most monitors is between 72 (Mac) and 96 (PC) ppi. For example, if you want to e-mail an image and be certain that it does not exceed the size of the recipientís monitor you would size it for 4x6 inches and set the resolution to 72 ppi. If the recipientís monitor is a 72-ppi monitor the image will display at 4 x 6 inches, and if they have a 96-ppi monitor the image will display at 3 x 4.5 inches. Both image sizes would easily fit on a small monitor without having to scroll to see the whole image.