Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
A "I hate Vista update"...
Old 06-07-2008, 08:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406
Comments: 0

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 24.11.214.199

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Some time back I put up a "I hate Vista" post. It seemed to strike a responsive note with a lot of folks. This post isn't so much about what's wrong with Vista, but how I am avoiding further exposure to it...

By the way, it seems Vista hating is pretty popular, at least on some of the computer forums I occasionally look in on. Then there's the fact that Microsoft extended the sales of XP and is already talking up Windows 7. Vista may go down in history on a level with Windows 2000, or was it Millenium Edition that bombed so bad? But I digress...

After a day of thunderstorms recently, the fast eMachine I bought super cheap wouldn't power up. It has been turned off all day, but apparently there is power to some portion of the motherboard even when the computer is "off." A quick search of the 'net indicated that this was a fairly common problem with the eMachine, and that a new motherboard would probably be required. Add to that the fact that I hadn't received a CD with a backup copy of the XP home edition installed on the machine. Definite bummer...

As far as what was on the eMachine that died. I have gotten away from putting a lot of "stuff" on the harddrives in my computers. Since they are used primarily for image manipulation, they get a select few programs, and a few working directories. All new image files are burned to CD's or DVD's after EVERY work session.Several USB interfaced harddrives provide additional short term storage for recent stuff AFTER it's first burned to DVD.

Rather than head over to one of the big box stores, I opted to drive over to the local used computer store, a tiny storefront tucked in the side of a small strip mall of miscellaneous stores and tax prep joints.

Long story shortened... I came home with a used (but highly rated) HP 'puter a couple years old, with a really fast processor, a DVD drive, smallish SATA harddrive and licensed XP Pro for considerably less than I could buy another low end eMachine at the big box stores. Risky?.. maybe, but so is the eMachine. And this time I do have a CD... and still NO Vista!

Moral of story: if you really hate Vista, there ARE ways to avoid it...

Elvis has left the building...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Re: A "I hate Vista update"...
Old 06-07-2008, 08:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 69.226.64.28

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Al, while you and I have had our disagreements as of late, I do agree with you on this point. I too hat Vista, but don't have an XP disc to switch over, and of course prefer a legit copy to a pirated copy. But yes, there are quite a few ways to avoid Vista, all legit, and I wish I could do just that!

Isaiah

Old 06-07-2008, 09:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 76.186.39.178

Al, while I've had my issues with Vista, it's behaving much better since I removed a lot of the admin features. I run a new 1TB tower with Vista and dual monitors ... plus I network it to my old 1TB tower with XP and one monitor. Everything is networked using Network Magic. I also have two 500GB Matrox backup drives, one attached to each tower and use Genie Backup. I got everything set up last fall and while I continue to have a few small irritations with Vista, my experience is much better than when I first installed it ... or when I second installed it, and by the time I installed it for the third time, it started running better. It's been a good little OS since January of this year, so ... knock on wood, Vista is alright by me.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Old 06-07-2008, 09:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photomart View Post
Vista is alright by me.
I guess if it didn't force you to buy all new software to accomodate it's "security" features, I might be a bit more tolerant of it. But my computers (other than this one) NEVER connect to the internet or any other network, do not get downloaded programs, mpegs, etc. copied to them, nor are strangers allowed access to them. So paying for new software versions just to get "security" rubs me the wrong way. And yes, I know the new software may also have other features... I just don't happen to need 'em yet.

View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Old 06-08-2008, 01:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38868

darrellp is offline IP: 24.19.197.73

I simply switched this month to the Mac Pro. Haven't had a single problem. Love the box and the OS!

http://darrellpalmer.com

Those that would sacrifice freedoms for security deserve neither.
Benjamin Franklin
  View Public Profile Send a private message to darrellp Visit darrellp's homepage! Find More Posts by darrellp

Old 06-08-2008, 07:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 24.3.6.165

"This post isn't so much about what's wrong with Vista, but how I am avoiding further exposure to it..."

FWIW, I have switched to Linux and open-source software. Entirely.

Given that my University officially only supports Windows, it has been interesting. But my job allows me the luxury of using what I want, provided I'm willing to forego local tech support. But since most of my professional computational work (real-time data collection in a chemistry laboratory) wasn't exactly supported effectively by the local IT people, it wasn't exactly a great loss to me.

It's worked so far (essentially 1 1/2 semesters) - the hardest part is dealing with the students, who (understandably) expect me to use Microsoft products, since those are what are in all computer labs.

I've played a bit with GIMP (an open-source image manipulation program), but haven't found an open-source cataloging program I like yet.

BTW, Glamour1 seems to work nicely with Firefox on Linux.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36482
Comments: 2

lsc1 is offline IP: 70.153.41.158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Nowak View Post
But my computers (other than this one) NEVER connect to the internet or any other network, .
I heard someone was taking up a collection to get you to disconnect this one as well! jk cheers

"The girlshapedlovedrug messes with my mind." Gomez (the band)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsc1 Find More Posts by lsc1

Old 06-09-2008, 05:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 60135

dneely is offline IP: 130.13.153.133

Hey,

I just got a new computer with Vista Home Premium 64 bit and I am very pleased so far.

Turning off all that Administrator stuff was a key and the machine runs PhotoShop and Lightroom much faster with the 4 megs of Ram and the Intel dual core processor.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dneely Find More Posts by dneely

Old 06-10-2008, 04:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54002

Saltwater Servitude is offline IP: 24.26.255.32

Vista is great if you have absolutely zero idea of how to operate a pc. Truly built for the dumbest common denomenator of users. I despise it, but it was the only damn OS being offered at the time by Dell when I picked up the new hard drive.

BTW, the OS on the hard drive this new one replaced? Millenium Edition. I stripped it and put in 98 until I got a copy of XP. Man oh man ME was a piece of crap.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Saltwater Servitude Visit Saltwater Servitude's homepage! Find More Posts by Saltwater Servitude

Old 06-11-2008, 12:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsc1 View Post
I heard someone was taking up a collection to get you to disconnect this one as well! jk cheers
Lessee, it would take about 57 cents to keep me off G1. I am not worried though...

Hey, I know I disrupt the searches for nekked girls, but somebodiy's gotta actually say something worthwhile now and then.

And I do get a lot of replies!