Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Backdrop wrinkles ....
Old 06-02-2008, 04:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36777
Comments: 0
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to StanTom

StanTom is offline IP: 24.239.87.29

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I have been keeping various fabrics rolled up in bags
AND I have purchased a 'foldout' white background made of a ripstop nylon fabric

The reason being portability and what I thought was ease of use

HOWEVER after the second time of using the foldout backdrop ( which has a skirt AND a metal frame like most reflectors ) it has become rather wrinkled
I know the most common answer I will get is to steam it before use
THAT kind of blows the ease of use and transporting and setup not to mention TIME

SO does anyone know of a fabric that can be rolled up and stored that will not wrinkle ( or at least be mostly wrinkle-less ? )
I have never seen first hand any muslin but I expect it wrinkles too

traveling with paper rolls would be a hassle too
and I am already thinking about extra lights , but again ease of setup, time and the travel thing come into play here too

Re: Backdrop wrinkles ....
Old 06-02-2008, 08:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.192.130

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Cotton muslin definitely wrinkles easily. Polyesters a bit less easily, but not so much so that you'd notice. Usually, I stuff my muslins into a storage bag, rather than roll them - lots of random wrinkles are less distracting than the lines from folds or far less random wrinkles that result from imperfectly rolled cloth.

If the fabric is stored without wrinkles (or folds), it won't be wrinkled when used. Think about the bolts of fabric in a fabric store: those areas that are flat, rolled under some tension, come off the bolt flat, except at the folds. The catch is that a method of storing a backdrop in a compact, easy-to-carry size without folds or wrinkles is, er, challenging to envision.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57919
Comments: 1

kgphoto is offline IP: 69.235.163.154

You are chasing a pipe dream. If you want a studio back drop, shoot in a studio. Even if it is only your garage or living room. Roll the backgrounds on tubes and suspend them off rollers for ease of access.

Muslins wrinkle and should wrinkle. Make a point of opening and re-bunching them once a week.

Smooth surface? Make a cove or wall and paint it. On location, use the walls or the environment as part of your composition. It will look more interesting if you do anyway.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kgphoto Find More Posts by kgphoto

Old 06-02-2008, 08:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57249
My Mood:

Bob Hubbard is offline IP: 71.243.190.237

I've had decent luck with velour's, and felts for minimal wrinkle backgrounds. Unfortunately, they don't come in wide sizes. For my location shoots, I run my backdrop through the dryer with a couple of fabric sheets, then steam it on-site to minimize wrinkles. Other than that, it's photoshop to iron them afterwards.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 69.226.64.28

Hey Bob, just curious, I've heard of using backdrops on location only a handful of times before. Reason being why I'm curious is because at least in my head, backdrops are used in the studio for several reasons, a couple of wich, but not limited too astetic reasons, along with making things easier technically speaking. But when it comes to on location shoots, at least it's been my experience that the reason for going on location is for different backgrounds. I'm just curious what you use them for on locations, to me, it dosn't make sense really. Of course, no disrespect meant, I'm sure you know what you're doing and use the appropriate equipment to get what you want for your clients. I'm just curious, that's all.

Isaiah

Old 06-02-2008, 10:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 24.11.214.199

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanTom View Post
So does anyone know of a fabric that can be rolled up and stored that will not wrinkle ( or at least be mostly wrinkle-less ? )
One of the backdrop suppliers (it may be Dennys) is now advertising a new material that doesn't wrinkle. And be forewarned, it AIN'T cheap. Think multi-hundreds...

I've used material scraps found in thrift shops with some success. They're probably a polyester blend, but they seem to shake out nicely, and at $3 or $4 for about an 8 foot by 10 foot piece... well, it's pretty hard to beat. I have black, dark brown, fire engine red, and a few other colors. Great for covering up ugly hotel bed spreads and dreadful pattern upholstered furniture. And with a couple of large thumb tacks... instant backdrop on any wall.

Stop by the local material store and take a look at what they have in polyester blends. Nothing says it's GOTTA be a genuine photographic backdrop...

Postscript-- it is Denny Mfg company, www.dennymfg.com, and they call it Freedom Cloth... they claim wrinkle free... but I'd look at a sample before I'd buy into that since they also talk about steaming it...

Elvis has left the building...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Old 06-02-2008, 10:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57919
Comments: 1

kgphoto is offline IP: 69.235.163.154

Hey, I am not speaking for Bob but . . .

I am thinking he is trying to offer studio quality with the convenience of never having to leave the office. I use 6x9 canvas backdrops rolled on 2 inch wooden dowels and supported by 1 or 2 stands when I need to provide that service.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kgphoto Find More Posts by kgphoto

Old 06-03-2008, 03:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

I'll have to check out some polyester materials and such , that stuff from denny's says it will wrinkle with 'extended' time in the bag . not to mention the 4 to 500 dollar price tag
Thanks for the reply

Old 06-03-2008, 03:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

That is way I originally bought the flexout in a bag from backdrop outlet .
I 'thought' they were designed to be better since they are made to be stored in a bag .
BUT after the second time the wrinkles were just to much . and since the metal frame is sewn in there is no throwing it in the dryer !!

Thanks for the reply

Old 06-03-2008, 03:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Definitely the ideal situation is to 'have' studio space .
Trust me , there is no clear areas in my house to even think of putting up rolls of backgrounds .
Mostly since we shoot at the same 'location' there is only so many times I personally feel like shooting the model on the SAME rug in front of the SAME fireplace or the SAME wall .
I just wanted to throw a little 'clean' background in once in a while .

Thanks for replying