Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Some RAW Questions
Old 05-20-2008, 12:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51075
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoDave1

PhotoDave1 is offline IP: 68.3.207.189

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi All:

I am just starting to experiment with the Canon RAW and the ACR in Photoshop and I am moving slowly. I think I have all of the camera related stuff down such as setting the exposure with the PhotoVision target and settign a Custom White Balance but I have a few questions about the actual RAW setting itself and how it impacts my camera and Photoshop.

I have my camera set to RAW plus JPEG Large/Fine and I can't seem to open or even find the JPG's once I upload the images to my computer.

I see three file formats .CRW, .THM, and .XMP. Now, I am pretty sure the .CRW files are the RAW images but I have no clue as to what the other two formats are and I still can't find the .JPG files.

Anyone who can shed some light on this mystery of mine please feel free to jump in. Thanks.
deallen313@yahoo.com
Skype IM: DAllen3031
Twitter: ThePhotoPro1
Web Page: www.flickr.com/photos/3031photography/
Gear: Canon EOS 40D w/Grip + EOS 1N w/Grip; Tamron 28-70mm F2.8; Tamron 70-200 F2.8; Canon 430EXll
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoDave1 Visit PhotoDave1's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotoDave1

Re: Some RAW Questions
Old 05-20-2008, 01:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57919

kgphoto is offline IP: 69.235.150.107

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Copy all the files from your card to your hard drive, where you know where they will be. Then use Bridge to view that folder. You should see them easily. Which photoshop are you using?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kgphoto Find More Posts by kgphoto

Old 05-20-2008, 06:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
A Learner

Member GG#: 35395
Comments: 0
My Mood:

Ed_Quigley is offline IP: 71.248.237.235

I have a older model Canon, a 10D to be exact. Anyway, quoting from the instruction manual "In the RAW image recording mode, a JPEG image is recorded simultaneously and embedded within the RAW image file. To extract the JPEG image embedded in the RAW image file, you will need the dedicated software". That software is the Canon File Viewer Utility. Not sure how the newer models work. I can only tell you about the 10D.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Ed_Quigley Find More Posts by Ed_Quigley

Old 05-20-2008, 09:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

kgphoto is offline IP: 69.235.80.139

Ed,

It is different now. You are talking about the embedded JPEG that is created to show the image for review on the back of the camera. It is a tiny low res image. RAW + Large/Fine is a RAW file plus a JPEG that is almost as large as a RAW file.

The files are typially listed one right after the other, ie. 1RAW, 1JPEG, 2RAW, 2JPEG, 3RAW, 3JPEG, etc. You can see they exist by using Windows Explorer on a PC, but you can't view the RAW files just the JPEG. Set the viewer to All files and Thumbnails.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kgphoto Find More Posts by kgphoto

Old 05-20-2008, 11:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
A Learner

Member GG#: 35395
Comments: 0
My Mood:

Ed_Quigley is offline IP: 71.248.240.147

Well, that's what I get for not keeping up with the latest technology :-) The only files that show up on the CF card are .crw, the .thm, and the .xmp, even though I have raw + large fine .jpg set in the CFs. One of these years I'll update. Thanks for the info! :-)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Ed_Quigley Find More Posts by Ed_Quigley

Old 05-20-2008, 11:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgphoto View Post
Ed,

It is different now. You are talking about the embedded JPEG that is created to show the image for review on the back of the camera. It is a tiny low res image. RAW + Large/Fine is a RAW file plus a JPEG that is almost as large as a RAW file.

The files are typially listed one right after the other, ie. 1RAW, 1JPEG, 2RAW, 2JPEG, 3RAW, 3JPEG, etc. You can see they exist by using Windows Explorer on a PC, but you can't view the RAW files just the JPEG. Set the viewer to All files and Thumbnails.
KG: Am I understanding you correctly in that you are saying that if I do not have RAW + JPG selected I will not be able to review the images on my in camera screen? Is that what you are saying?

If this is what you are saying then I will probably go with something on the order of RAW + JPG Medium or RAW + Medium Fine to save space on my Compact Flash Cards.

Just to let everyone know, I have been shooting digital for 5 years now and I did a shoot this morning and I used two CF cards. One for my normal JPG images when I tend to do at shoots and the second card for strictly RAW images. I just took a quick look at the images in the CS2 Bridge and I am absolutely blown away! The quality and brilliance is just staggering. I may never go back.

Thanks to everyone for their patience and help and most of all for putting up with my incessant questions. G1 is definitely a great place to be. Stay tuned for images from this mornings shoot. I will post them tonight but please be kind in any critiques. These photos were mainly about my getting used to the RAW functions and setting up my camera for it.
deallen313@yahoo.com
Gear: Canon EOS 40D w/Grip + EOS 1N w/Grip; Tamron 28-70mm F2.8; Tamron 70-200 F2.8; Canon 430EXll
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoDave1 Visit PhotoDave1's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotoDave1

Old 05-20-2008, 03:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 69.226.64.28

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoDave1 View Post
Hi All:

I am just starting to experiment with the Canon RAW and the ACR in Photoshop and I am moving slowly. I think I have all of the camera related stuff down such as setting the exposure with the PhotoVision target and settign a Custom White Balance but I have a few questions about the actual RAW setting itself and how it impacts my camera and Photoshop.

I have my camera set to RAW plus JPEG Large/Fine and I can't seem to open or even find the JPG's once I upload the images to my computer.

I see three file formats .CRW, .THM, and .XMP. Now, I am pretty sure the .CRW files are the RAW images but I have no clue as to what the other two formats are and I still can't find the .JPG files.

Anyone who can shed some light on this mystery of mine please feel free to jump in. Thanks.
Hey Dave, while I shoot Nikon, in RAW, I believe I can be of at least a little assistance here. I'm not sure what the .CRW and .THM files are, but I always get the .XMP files after I open them and manipulate them in Photoshop CS2. I agree with what the previous poster mentioned about first coping all files over to your hard drive first before even opening them. Well, I hope that this was of some help, good luck!

Old 05-20-2008, 08:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaiahbrink View Post
Hey Dave, while I shoot Nikon, in RAW, I believe I can be of at least a little assistance here. I'm not sure what the .CRW and .THM files are, but I always get the .XMP files after I open them and manipulate them in Photoshop CS2. I agree with what the previous poster mentioned about first coping all files over to your hard drive first before even opening them. Well, I hope that this was of some help, good luck!
Isaiah, thanks for the advice but I have been doing this ever since I bought my first digital camera. I always upload from the CF Card into my computer onto the hard drive via a card reader. I never transfer my photos from the camera due to the drain on the camera's battery.

After I upload the photos the first thing I do is to copy all of the photos onto my backup hard drive so I have a "safety" copy.

As a caveat to this I found out something interesting that has saved me some time. I recently upgraded my computer to a sweet Dell rig. Intel Core 2 Duo processor, bunches of RAM, wicked fast graphics, 8 USB 2.0 High Speed ports, Firewire, the whole 9 yards and for the most part a nice computer that I am happy with but I have noticed that uploading photos from a CF Card takes noticeably longer with this new computer. I can make a sandwich in the time it takes me to upload 100 photos and I found out why.

Dell took the cheap way out and gave me a USB 1.0 No Speed Card Reader and when I first noticed the slowdown and called Dell the Tec had no clue as to what Card Reader was in my computer.

I got pissed off at having to wait for my photos to upload and I finally got out the portable USB 2.0 High Speed Card Reader I keep in my laptop case and presto, I was back to speed in the blink of an eye. Now, when I upload 100 photos I don't even have time to get a cup of coffee so beware of manufacturers who cut corners and don't let you know about it.

I hope to be able to post some images from my first RAW shoot tonight so be on the lookout for them.
deallen313@yahoo.com

Old 05-21-2008, 12:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 69.226.64.28

Quote:
Isaiah, thanks for the advice but I have been doing this ever since I bought my first digital camera. I always upload from the CF Card into my computer onto the hard drive via a card reader. I never transfer my photos from the camera due to the drain on the camera's battery.

After I upload the photos the first thing I do is to copy all of the photos onto my backup hard drive so I have a "safety" copy.

As a caveat to this I found out something interesting that has saved me some time. I recently upgraded my computer to a sweet Dell rig. Intel Core 2 Duo processor, bunches of RAM, wicked fast graphics, 8 USB 2.0 High Speed ports, Firewire, the whole 9 yards and for the most part a nice computer that I am happy with but I have noticed that uploading photos from a CF Card takes noticeably longer with this new computer. I can make a sandwich in the time it takes me to upload 100 photos and I found out why.

Dell took the cheap way out and gave me a USB 1.0 No Speed Card Reader and when I first noticed the slowdown and called Dell the Tec had no clue as to what Card Reader was in my computer.

I got pissed off at having to wait for my photos to upload and I finally got out the portable USB 2.0 High Speed Card Reader I keep in my laptop case and presto, I was back to speed in the blink of an eye. Now, when I upload 100 photos I don't even have time to get a cup of coffee so beware of manufacturers who cut corners and don't let you know about it.

I hope to be able to post some images from my first RAW shoot tonight so be on the lookout for them.
Ok Dave, if you want a solution to your answer, next time, don't go the cheap route and by a canon, buy a Nikon, and when you set it to RAW+JPEG, that's what you get, not embeded crap, you get two seperate files, a RAW and a JPEG.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

kgphoto is offline IP: 69.235.140.91

Quote:
KG: Am I understanding you correctly in that you are saying that if I do not have RAW + JPG selected I will not be able to review the images on my in camera screen? Is that what you are saying?

If this is what you are saying then I will probably go with something on the order of RAW + JPG Medium or RAW + Medium Fine to save space on my Compact Flash Cards.
No that is not what I was saying. I am saying that when you shoot in RAW mode only, a small embedded JPEG is formed so that you CAN see an image on the back of the camera, but that is all it is really good for, as it is so small.

RAW + ANY JPEG produces the embedded JPEG for camera review and another one for review later in your computer software. Both JPEGS are "processed" by the settings you have your camera set to. The RAW file is unaffected by the settings. None the less, you should still set the White Balance so to save time and work later.