Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Over powering the sun ?
Old 05-19-2008, 05:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50518
Comments: 1
My Mood:

That_Look_Photo is offline IP: 97.97.44.225

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi everyone, I want to play around with doing some work in the mid day. I have seen some great stuff that was shot in mid day by over powering the sun with a flash. What is the rule for setting up the flash and camera to do this ? Do you have to meter the sun to get a reference ?

Thanks for any help you can give me..

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photo Visit That_Look_Photo's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photo

Re: Over powering the sun ?
Old 05-20-2008, 03:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 69.226.64.28

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Well, I do have some experience in this, and I'll share what has worked for me, but it does take some practice. First thing I had to do was forget how to use all of the auto exposure settings. Manual is the way to go here. The smaller the apature, the darker the background, along with a faster shutter speed, I usually go for 1/250, since that's the fastest sync speed my camera can handle. So, basiclly, a small apature along with a faster shutter speed. I hope this helps you out.

Isaiah

Old 05-21-2008, 06:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37608
Comments: 0

Mark_Oehler is offline IP: 12.226.28.159

Isaiah:

What Nikon do you shoot with. Depending upon the camera a flash, you might be able to synch all the way up to your fastest shutter speed (regardless of what the manual says).

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2008/01...high-sync.html
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Mark_Oehler Visit Mark_Oehler's homepage! Find More Posts by Mark_Oehler

Old 05-21-2008, 03:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

I'm shooting with the Nikon D2Xs with the SB-800

Old 05-22-2008, 04:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 45232

Driftwood is offline IP: 88.105.98.49

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaiahbrink View Post
I'm shooting with the Nikon D2Xs with the SB-800
With this combination you can use the "Nikon Auto FP High-speed Synch Flash" mode, and use your flashgun at maximum shutter speed 1/8000 sec.

I haven't tried it myself yet and it seems it has to be used with care because the flash power is greatly reduced.

Excellent explanation here:
Auto FP High Speed Flash

Old 05-22-2008, 11:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood View Post
With this combination you can use the "Nikon Auto FP High-speed Synch Flash" mode, and use your flashgun at maximum shutter speed 1/8000 sec.

I haven't tried it myself yet and it seems it has to be used with care because the flash power is greatly reduced.

Excellent explanation here:
Auto FP High Speed Flash
Lol, I'm hoping that the original poster has a Nikon, lol. But, this is helpful for me though, I do appreciate the info.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Hi, No I changed over to Canon a while ago. Just a 20d and some top end glass. I will get a chance to use the strobe outside this weekend. I have enough info to figure out what to do.

Thanks

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photo Visit That_Look_Photo's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photo

Old 05-22-2008, 11:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Look_Photo View Post
Hi, No I changed over to Canon a while ago. Just a 20d and some top end glass. I will get a chance to use the strobe outside this weekend. I have enough info to figure out what to do.

Thanks

Mike
No problem Mike, while the thread did get sidetracked about Nikon equipment, I'm hoping that you did get enough ideas or tips to help you out. Good shooting!

Old 05-25-2008, 12:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39206

FrankD is offline IP: 82.173.194.41

Hi,
To overpower the sun you will first need lots of power.
We normally use an Elinchrom Ranger RX speed on full power with an A head and a Deep octa or open reflector (depending on the look you want).

It all depends on how bright the sun is of course, at the evening you can do the same with a lot less power.

Also see what you want to do, you can make day into almost night with enough power, but most of the time it's much nicer to balance the sun and the model, see two examples.

Both shot during almost midday with the Ranger RX speed.

Using leaf shutterlenses in a MF system like the RZ67Pro from Mamiya or Hasselblad helps ALOT, being able to sync at 1/400 will give you much more control over the ammount of sunlight being blocked.
With a normal DSLR you are often limited to 1/125 or 1/160 for studio strobes.

I will be explaining the techniques on the Los Angeles workshops in June by the way.

Greetings,
Frank
www.frankdoorhof.com
www.frankdoorhof.com/usworkshops
www.frankdoorhof.com/portfolio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to FrankD Visit FrankD's homepage! Find More Posts by FrankD

Old 05-25-2008, 04:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Thanks for the info. I did some testing today but things did not turn out the way I wanted them to. Tomorrow is another day.. Nice work by the way !