Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Guerrilla Grids?
Old 02-22-2008, 08:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35723
Comments: 0

Dman65 is offline IP: 63.243.17.130

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hello Everyone,

I remember some time ago JimmyD had started a series of posts about home made photography equipment.

I was wondering if anyone had ever made a home made grid for putting in front of a soft box or a beauty dish.

I was thinking about gluing together short, thin walled cardboard tubes that had been cut down to a small length or making a grid by cutting some poster board into strips and then slitting the strips to fit them into each other.

I just wanted to check and see if someone else has already done something like this and what worked or didn't for you.

Thanks,

Daryl
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Dman65 Find More Posts by Dman65

Re: Guerrilla Grids?
Old 02-22-2008, 09:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 59966
Comments: 1

Bill Schuman is offline IP: 68.197.205.74

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Good Idea same here and I was going to usa a stand to hold it in frount of a softbox or ETC... I also had an Idea to make a window box with a real window and shade/curtin and shoot the light from bellow or a soft box against the back so I could get that window effect and even the sunlight effect...but holding off on this until I get a studio to store all this or clean out my garage and make a studio...

-Bill
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Bill Schuman Find More Posts by Bill Schuman

Old 02-22-2008, 11:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.192.130

You might find DIYPhotography interesting. Don't think there's a homemade grid, yet, though. Still, the pipe-built C-stand is useful.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.124.228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman65 View Post
I was thinking about gluing together short, thin walled cardboard tubes that had been cut down to a small length or making a grid by cutting some poster board into strips and then slitting the strips to fit them into each other.

I just wanted to check and see if someone else has already done something like this and what worked or didn't for you.

Daryl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Schuman View Post
Good Idea same here and I was going to usa a stand to hold it in front of a softbox or ETC... I also had an Idea to make a window box with a real window and shade/curtin and shoot the light from bellow or a soft box against the back so I could get that window effect and even the sunlight effect...but holding off on this until I get a studio to store all this or clean out my garage and make a studio...

-Bill
Some things can be easily made and work well, but grids are not one of them. The grid has to be securely attached to the softbox and the softbox may be rotated at any time or moved, etc. Thus having the grid on a separate light stand would make for a nightmare.

In the real world, however, grids are very very expensive. However, I've recently bought soft boxes from Amvona where, for example, I got a 54" x 14" strip soft box with grid and speedring, all for $71.00. The grid attaches with velcro.

cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 02-23-2008, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 76.186.39.178

I completely agree with RFS. There are things that you can easily make ... and there are times to fork over the cash and buy the profesional equipment. For instance: I made a beauty dish out of a big 16" reflector that I found at a used photography store and covered it with a gold shower cap ... it works great. I also picked up a pair of 6" car speaker grills and find they work great to reduce the amount and direction of light from my powerful Norman strobes so they balance with my Alien Bees. But, I bought a grid for my 36x48 softbox because everything I thought about building or using would have taken way too long to build and still wouldn't have nbeen as good as the right equipment.

On a related note -- making your own equipment or accessories can be a lot of fun (and save money), but if you want to be seen as a "professional" you don't want your clients or models to see you using a lot of hommade stuff.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Old 02-24-2008, 05:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Dman65 is offline IP: 71.75.121.13

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
Some things can be easily made and work well, but grids are not one of them. The grid has to be securely attached to the softbox and the softbox may be rotated at any time or moved, etc. Thus having the grid on a separate light stand would make for a nightmare.

In the real world, however, grids are very very expensive. However, I've recently bought soft boxes from Amvona where, for example, I got a 54" x 14" strip soft box with grid and speedring, all for $71.00. The grid attaches with velcro.

cheers,
rfs
Thanks for the heads up. Was there any kind of model number on that package? I didn't see a grid included on their strip light that I just looked at.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Dman65 is offline IP: 71.75.121.13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Schuman View Post
Good Idea same here and I was going to usa a stand to hold it in frount of a softbox or ETC... I also had an Idea to make a window box with a real window and shade/curtin and shoot the light from bellow or a soft box against the back so I could get that window effect and even the sunlight effect...but holding off on this until I get a studio to store all this or clean out my garage and make a studio...
-Bill
Hey Bill,

I think I may play with this idea a bit. I am kind of thinking of using a large source like a 6' umbrella aimed toward my area and then I would just flag off all of the light except for what comes through the grid. I am also considering stacking two of those 2x4 fluorescent lighting grids together to see if that will work for a grid. It would be too heavy to mount to the front of a soft box I think, but if mounted separately I think it may work. It may be possible to cut on of those in half and bungee cord it to the front of my beauty dish as well.

I am sure it will not be as good as the real thing. Unfortunately money is one of those resouces I don't have in unlimited supply

Old 02-24-2008, 07:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.124.228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman65 View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Was there any kind of model number on that package? I didn't see a grid included on their strip light that I just looked at.
Here is the link to the Buy it Now where they still have 30 or so of them at $61.00 plus $18.00 shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/PHOTO-LIGHT-SILV...QQcmdZViewItem

If the links doesn't work, then do a search for dpn-56. I have two of them. I paid $71 for one of them and $54 for the second but I was buying in the auction rather than Buy it now. You won't find them at all on their site, so I believe they have been discontinued. They have a smaller size one also. If you click on the Read More under the basic description on the auction you'll see the accessories that are included and the mention the grid mask. This is a full velcro grid that unfolds and you place into the softbox and it sticks with the velcro.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 02-24-2008, 08:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45671

gaborm is offline IP: 66.82.9.104

I bought that same strip box, but only paid $35.00 for it from their site. I should have bought 4 of them for that price before they're all gone.
The grid that comes with it probably could be replicated with a 2 inch wide by 30 feet roll of velcro and a hot glue gun. Attaching it to the softbox with small clamps or even the velcro itself since most softboxes are trimmed by that on the front, so the translucent material can be attached.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to gaborm Find More Posts by gaborm

Old 02-26-2008, 08:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Dman65 is offline IP: 63.243.17.130

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
Here is the link to the Buy it Now where they still have 30 or so of them at $61.00 plus $18.00 shipping

Cheers,
rfs
Many thanks rfs!