Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Retouching
Old 02-07-2008, 10:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55352
Comments: 14

Stecyk is offline IP: 68.146.42.150

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I am curious if anyone has any familiarity with the retouching video offered on this following site?

http://www.digitalphotoshopretouchin...retouching.htm

His 17 demonstration retouching photographs are impressive. But on his order now page, I note that the video is somewhat pricey.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Stecyk Visit Stecyk's homepage! Find More Posts by Stecyk

Re: Retouching
Old 02-08-2008, 07:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
Comments: 0
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 76.186.39.178

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

His work is good because he's a talented digital artist. If you bought the $200 video and practiced his techniques, could you be as good? Maybe, if you already had that "talented digital artist" gene. Learning good retouching techniques will make you better at retouching ... or faster at retouching, but if you don't have that "talented digital artist" gene, you'll never be as good as him.

Here are some of my interactive retouching samples. As you can see ... I'm still trying to find a good pair of retouching "genes"

http://www.martysphotography.com/retouching2/
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Old 02-08-2008, 01:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photomart View Post
His work is good because he's a talented digital artist. If you bought the $200 video and practiced his techniques, could you be as good? Maybe, if you already had that "talented digital artist" gene. Learning good retouching techniques will make you better at retouching ... or faster at retouching, but if you don't have that "talented digital artist" gene, you'll never be as good as him.

Here are some of my interactive retouching samples. As you can see ... I'm still trying to find a good pair of retouching "genes"

http://www.martysphotography.com/retouching2/
Thank you Marty for your response. His work is very good. What I read from your response is, if you plan to make retouching your life's work, then, with dedication, time, and practice, you too can achieve the same or similar results. But you must be prepared to dedicate yourself and practice--a lot. If, however, digital retouching is more of a hobby, then you'll achieve better and faster results than you currently do, but don't expect the same level of perfection.

Although I won't become a full-time retoucher or graphic artist, I certainly have room for improvement.

I looked at your shots. I think you've made dramatic improvements in each of your photos. Kudos.

Thank you for your response--I appreciate it!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Stecyk Visit Stecyk's homepage! Find More Posts by Stecyk

Old 02-08-2008, 10:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Member GG#: 35280
Send a message via AIM to JaysonFromMaine Send a message via Yahoo to JaysonFromMaine

JaysonFromMaine is offline IP: 70.152.14.244

some people no matter how much they practice will never be as good as others... I couldn't spot touch for spit no matter how much i tryed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stecyk View Post
Thank you Marty for your response. His work is very good. What I read from your response is, if you plan to make retouching your life's work, then, with dedication, time, and practice, you too can achieve the same or similar results. But you must be prepared to dedicate yourself and practice--a lot. If, however, digital retouching is more of a hobby, then you'll achieve better and faster results than you currently do, but don't expect the same level of perfection.

Although I won't become a full-time retoucher or graphic artist, I certainly have room for improvement.

I looked at your shots. I think you've made dramatic improvements in each of your photos. Kudos.

Thank you for your response--I appreciate it!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JaysonFromMaine Visit JaysonFromMaine's homepage! Find More Posts by JaysonFromMaine

Old 02-09-2008, 03:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55362

nakins is offline IP: 70.232.38.222

You might try googling Photoshop Mama. she has a cd that I bought. Might be the ticket starting out.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to nakins Find More Posts by nakins

Old 02-09-2008, 04:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysonFromMaine View Post
some people no matter how much they practice will never be as good as others... I couldn't spot touch for spit no matter how much i tryed...
While I agree no matter how much I tried or how I long I practiced, I will never be as great as Michael Jordan or Wayne Gretzky playing basketball or hockey. I do not, however, like to believe in limits. We shortchange ourselves in believing that we can't accomplish certain levels of achievement.

As far as retouching, could I be as good as Vitaly Druchinin if I put in the similar effort and dedication? I really don't know. I haven't tried. That is not to take anything away from Vitaly. He's great at what he does.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakins View Post
You might try googling Photoshop Mama. she has a cd that I bought. Might be the ticket starting out.
Yes, RFS has mentioned her set of actions before. I think if you buy the whole shebang, it's about the same cost as Vitaly Druchinin's Photoshop Retouching tutorial DVD.

I am more inclined toward
Vitaly Druchinin's solution because I will learn more. In viewing his work, you can see that he reshapes parts when desired. That's going beyond what actions will do. I am more interested in the process and learning than I am in speed and efficiency.

All that said, I have bookmarked PSM actions for consideration.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55362

nakins is offline IP: 70.232.38.222

CD #2 is what I bought. It isn't just actions. It is a very good primer on portrait retouching. I mean, for 35 bucks to get your feet wet in this type of thing isn't bad.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to nakins Find More Posts by nakins

Old 02-09-2008, 06:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakins View Post
I mean, for 35 bucks to get your feet wet in this type of thing isn't bad.
Agreed.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 60285
Comments: 2

masternm is offline IP: 68.42.35.154

I purchased the DVD-rom you mentioned and it is fairly good. He walks through the tools he uses one at a time and gives basic examples. A lot of detail, about 2-3 hours of working on DNG files along with the host as he edits the same files. The DVD looks good but some of the sequence editing between chapters s choppy (Not what I expected for the price). Pricey but worth it if you want to see the full cycle of editing. But remember, this is not a classroom exercise on this DVD, it is HIS way and HIS opinions so take what he has and blend it with all the other tricks and processes you have learned.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to masternm Visit masternm's homepage! Find More Posts by masternm